Jump to content
markus544

M-26 Pershing..Super Pershing ??

Recommended Posts

I wouldn't use Cooper as a source, hes gotten quite a few things wrong that unfortunately have become "fact" for a lot of people. For example, he says that the Pershing was delayed because Patton said he didn't need it which is blatantly false. I wouldn't trust anything the guy has to say about the Super Pershing because of that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Raptorx7 said:

I wouldn't use Cooper as a source, hes gotten quite a few things wrong that unfortunately have become "fact" for a lot of people. For example, he says that the Pershing was delayed because Patton said he didn't need it which is blatantly false. I wouldn't trust anything the guy has to say about the Super Pershing because of that.

Memoirs as a whole are generally rather poor sources, being entirely subjective in perspective.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/16/2018 at 5:59 PM, General Jack Ripper said:

Memoirs as a whole are generally rather poor sources, being entirely subjective in perspective.

Pretty much.  "Tigers" and "88s" just everywhere!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Barkhorn1x said:

Pretty much.  "Tigers" and "88s" just everywhere!

Yep, with thousands and thousands of Tigers all over the battlefield, only God's grace and Yankee knowhow and guts enabled us to win just using a wad of chewing gum on the end of a stick.

:rolleyes:

Michael

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 5:20 PM, Raptorx7 said:

hes gotten quite a few things wrong

Yes, hobbyist history nerds trying to get accurate facts out of actual veterans is often as frustrating as Star Wars nerds trying to get in-depth Star Wars details out of the actors. :P

Edited by MikeyD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I know now the size and weight of vehicles was a major factor by shot callers in the US military command.  The simple fact that everything had to lifted in the hold of a ship to make the crossing to the battlefield.  Not only that the Pershing's width made it difficult to transport via rail to the dock yards of the time.  If you could not lift it or could not transport it to where it was to be employed in combat it was little use.  While the Germans had use of interior lines of supply and could shift forces around the battlefield quite rapidly.  However as we all know their brain trust that tactical and strategic genius Adolf Hitler was calling the shots.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/19/2018 at 1:58 AM, Michael Emrys said:

Yep, with thousands and thousands of Tigers all over the battlefield, only God's grace and Yankee knowhow and guts enabled us to win just using a wad of chewing gum on the end of a stick.

:rolleyes:

Michael

I think Cooper woulda $hit a brick at yankee know how - IIRC he was a thru and thru southerner.

Jokes aside youre right and Stephen Ambrose used to be the worst in books for that. I remember distinctly the Ambrose craze in the late 90s. It also sucked because I was only 13 or 14 but loved history and was pretty aware that Ambrose minimized every other Allies achievements versus the US on Germans; and I felt that he insulted the memory of a lot of men by either exagerrating or deflating the quality and numbers of the Germans facing US troops to whatever suited his narrative better. Of course try telling some grown up thats not into history but just read Citizen Soldiers that you think he.s a moron cuz x y and z lol no one is willing to take you seriously or if they do theyre not gonna allow a teenager to one up them amd will deny it regardless. Sigh. The days before I could argue with someone, challenge them to put money on some obscure bs, and then whip out my phone and google my free 5 bucks :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/30/2018 at 2:54 PM, Sublime said:

I think Cooper woulda $hit a brick at yankee know how - IIRC he was a thru and thru southerner.

Jokes aside youre right and Stephen Ambrose used to be the worst in books for that. I remember distinctly the Ambrose craze in the late 90s. It also sucked because I was only 13 or 14 but loved history and was pretty aware that Ambrose minimized every other Allies achievements versus the US on Germans; and I felt that he insulted the memory of a lot of men by either exagerrating or deflating the quality and numbers of the Germans facing US troops to whatever suited his narrative better. Of course try telling some grown up thats not into history but just read Citizen Soldiers that you think he.s a moron cuz x y and z lol no one is willing to take you seriously or if they do theyre not gonna allow a teenager to one up them amd will deny it regardless. Sigh. The days before I could argue with someone, challenge them to put money on some obscure bs, and then whip out my phone and google my free 5 bucks :)

I'd have grave doubts calling Ambrose a historian. I had the misfortune to purchase his book on the development of the North American railways and found it truly atrocious. Even my layman's knowledge knew what I was reading was bad history - which a few quick web searches confirmed. 

Anyone reading his WW2 books should remember Albert Blithe. This guy would write anything without any fact checking. I don't have time to research if the facts in books I'm reading are actually real or just the authors make-believe facts. Dreadful stuff to waste money on when there is so much quality well written well researched history on the market these days. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×