Combat Mission: Pacific Storm

7 minutes ago, Thewood1 said:

As much as I like the Pacific theater, I would be all over Fulda Gap in the 80's or 90''s.  Its the main reason I stick with Steel Beasts.

Yup I'd make that very same trade if it were on offer.

Same with Stalingrad-Kursk or whatever mid-war Ostfront pack.

Same with Barbarossa.

I could go on.....& on & on & on.....

6 minutes ago, Thewood1 said:

I would easily take Pacific over CMFB and CMBS.

Disagree on the first agree on the second (even though I like the weapons systems).

These are the judgement calls that BFC have to take into account when deciding where to put their effort.....IMHO they've made some pretty good calls over the years, so if they don't see a viable market for a CM:Pacific I think we have to give them the benefit of the doubt. 

So that brings us back to the beginning of the thread, more or less, if we can't buy it, can we mod what we've got?  I'd like to hear from LLF as he's done the modding work, I'd certainly be willing to put my 'effort where my keyboard is' and script up a jungle scenario, hell I'll even make an original map (I've got a stonking little book about Japanese fixed defensive positions and a particular feature in mind), but it won't look very jungly without some mods, about which I know SFA.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

14 hours ago, Ales Dvorak said:

Cheers, mate. Yes, back in 2012 I did a CMBN scenario based on the 27th Division's landing on Makin Atoll (contemporaneous with bloody Tarawa), since it was very well documented and a reasonable scale of action, plus there were no flamethrowers available (as was the case with CMBN version 1).

Once you reach high water the atoll is pooltable flat other than manmade taro pits, so to prevent ridiculous amounts of keyholing through the overgrown palm plantations I used randomly scattered Low Bocage tiles. It worked out quite well and was a challenging fight. Rapid exhaustion of Green troops means that the US commander needs to advance in 'waves' (as historically) rather than just many-on-fewing the massively outnumbered and outgunned Japanese out of their holes. Hand grenades are a massive killer; also the lack of bazookas and FTs to bust bunkers forces you to rely on armour support in spite of the bogging risks.

So I can't offer the Sergeant Sledge Marine bloodbaths you probably crave, but it can scratch the itch.

Fanatical (modded) British forces stand in quite nicely for SNLF rikusentai. Alas, the mods (wireframes, faces, voices) were done in engine version 1 and were never updated for the new naming convention.

Not much new to add on the hoary topic of 'does the CM2 engine work for Pacific?' but the bipolar AI infantry movement consisting of either 'slow painful crawl' or 'run straight at 'em howling' actually reflects Japanese tactical practice tolerably well....

Edited by LongLeftFlank

3 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

What's the alternative?  :unsure:

play something else?  :D  yeah I know not the answer anyone wanted to hear.  

There are a bunch of things I'd like to see BF do but honestly I barely have enough time as it is.  I am already having to choose between titles.  Once CMSF2 is out I know where most of my time will be spent.

Problem with a Pacific game, as others have alluded to, is that most battles won't be very fun or suited to the CM2 engine.  Iwo Jima might be OK for a first-person shooter, but the terrain and fortifications are not going to work well from a CM2 perspective.  A good comparison is the various attempts to recreate a D-Day beach scenario for CM2.  There have been numerous attempts, but none have been particularly successful.  The beaches aren't good, scaling the cliffs is hard to simulate, and the clearing of the trenches atop said cliffs also doesn't work very well. 

While we're on the topic of never going to happen wishlists, I always thought the Iran-Iraq war would work well in CM2. Lots of cold war equipment, good balance between forces, varied terrain etc... The only thing that would be difficult would be getting the kind of detailed information required for historical scenario design.

Other than that,  the Korean war would be quite interesting, T-34s vs Shermans, Centurions. Although I'm not sure how common tank on tank action was, probably confined to the earlier stages of the war.

14 hours ago, LukeFF said:

Eh, but when it comes down to it, you're just fighting against British troops playing pretend Japanese forces with that mod. No thanks. 

Yes it's a mod, did you really expect Jap. forces? IF you want Japanese forces you'll have to wait for BF release ... * crickets *

Edited by Ales Dvorak

6 hours ago, black_prince said:

While we're on the topic of never going to happen wishlists, I always thought the Iran-Iraq war would work well in CM2. Lots of cold war equipment, good balance between forces, varied terrain etc... The only thing that would be difficult would be getting the kind of detailed information required for historical scenario design.

Other than that,  the Korean war would be quite interesting, T-34s vs Shermans, Centurions. Although I'm not sure how common tank on tank action was, probably confined to the earlier stages of the war.

Graviteam did the Iran-Iraq war.  It was very cool.  M-60s, and Chieftains fighting T-62s and T-55s and the like.  There were M-113s and BMP-1s thrown in for good measure.  I have also done a couple IIW sandboxes with Steel Beasts.  Everything you need is there.

Matrix has a huge success on their hands with TOAW IV right now, and you’ll notice they have hardly any Pacific scenarios. The market just doesn’t seem to be there, and I say that as someone who appeciates the CBI theatre. 

As an aside, I like to take Regiment-Battalion scale scenarios and recreate some of the more interesting battles in CM or Steel Panthers WW2/MBT. I hope I’m not the only one!

Edited by DougPhresh

3 hours ago, LUCASWILLEN05 said:

Fulda Gap or modern Asia. Yes. WW2 Pacific probably not

Whatever that means.

I tried to say, that I was put off those games, when I realized, that it could be me in the next tactical nuke blast,

Fulda Gap and similar games were published, when I had my active service time. That probably had an impact on my attitude towards those games.

If they go anywhere, I would much rather BF concentrate on earlier stuff instead of venturing into the Pacific.  North Africa, France 1940, Barbarossa /Kursk.  Or early war period vehicle packs, the community could put those to good use no doubt.

Being selfish... I have no interest in a CM: Pacific.

Edited by Blazing 88's

1 hour ago, Chibot Mk IX said:

How about this, Combat Mission : Vietnam?  After that BFC can decide if they want to develop it further, make a CM:Pacific.   

I used to be a big advocate for this. What finally changed my mind was playing around with various scenarios to try it using different existing games.  The biggest issue is how the game engine handles different terrain and vegetation. 

Examples

you are in a field of elephant grass. You can’t area fire towards a known enemy location because you can’t see the base tile.  Pretty similar to issues right now with grain fields  

forget actual jungle, it becomes tedious. 

Fortifications aren’t up to par for what we need

calling in artillery would have to mean putting in a bunch of TRPs as you can’t use grid coordinates. 

Maybe at some future point it might be tenable but if they were to try and do it now I think most would be disappointed with the result.   For sure there are many battles you could do, but the number of things that would not work well is daunting. Pretty much some of the same issue with doing WW2 pacific.  Sure there are many engagements possible, but some really iconic ones would not work.  That then impacts sales and the viability of taking on the effort. BF doesn’t need more ideas.  They already have a project list.  We (myself included) need to temper our wishes with the financial and resource limitations that BF has or we will simply continue to be the source of our own disappointment. 

What I would love to see that I think is not too much of a stretch is some unit/ToE packs that would alllow us to expand what if scenarios without BF having to take on a full game. Simple example. Add the Russian forces from CMRT to CMFB.  That would allow players to do some really fun stuff. Yes totally fiction even, but I think it would be a big seller.  

Edited by sburke

1 hour ago, sburke said:

<Snip>  Add the Russian forces from CMRT to CMFB.  That would allow players to do some really fun stuff. Yes totally fiction even, but I think it would be a big seller.  

YES!!!!!!! This!!!!!!!!!  Patton attacks east 1946, Fulda Gap 1950. With the help of moders you could get lots of the beginning of the cold war conflicts including Korea.