Combat Mission: Pacific Storm

Dear Battlefront, please make a CM game set in the pacific theatre, I NEED IT!!! Now, my only Japanese fix is the ones in men of war 2 and I can't really play that after playing combat mission. You can add a Japanese faction and reuse the US/British asset  from other CM games. You can create island themed maps with beaches and palm trees and dense forest. Please make this happen. I love you! 

Pacific Storm.png

Edited by Ridaz

IIRC @LongLeftFlank made a Pacific Mod for early iterations of CM:BN, mods aren't really my cup of tea so I know no more (but AFAIK it's no longer functional).

PS - The fact that (IIRC) there was one whole tank vs. tank engagement in the 1944-45 Burma campaign and maybe all of two or three decent ones in the Pacific could be a factor in the BFC policy.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

10 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Reckon you would need to broaden your scope to include SEAC to even have a hope.....Reusing the TOEs wouldn't be as simple as you imagine either.

However I do like the general idea.  B)

Was there not at least a „Pacific Theatre“ mod? I vaguely remember something the like.

But then, my last “Pacific encounter” was with Steel Panthers and from those days, I clearly remember this scale and Pacific War don’t go well together...

Perhaps, if one would go a little smaller. Like in GMT’s Combat Commander series (card driven board games, but brilliant, if you can get into them).

10 hours ago, Vergeltungswaffe said:

One thing is that they make games about subjects that interest them and apparently tactical ground combat in the Pacific has never really been high on their list.

Actually I don’t think the issue is their interest level but more a question of the financial viability. The product has to sell well enough to make the effort worthwhile. There are some of us who would definitely buy it, but I suspect the view is not enough of us.  That and as was noted above certain aspects simply can not be simulated limiting what the game could actually cover.

also as a side note I have experimented with jungle type terrain fighting in other titles just trying to get perspective. It really is not all that appealing.  Basically imagine setting scenario parameters to where visibility is measured in a few meters then try playing with a battalion of infantry.  Because of fortification issues you can’t really portray the island hopping  - end result is you are not left with much. 

5 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I'm confident that a decent game could be hacked out with an updated Engine 4, but the hacking would be an awful lot easier at Kursk or Stalingrad.....More fun & more popular too, I'd suspect.  :mellow:

I am not sure what your confidence is placed in. Try it with one of the existing titles and see what you come away with. 

Maybe one day..... I've got plenty to keep me occupied right now. 

By your argument the current engine couldn't do the fighting in the Hurtgenwald, but we know that isn't the case.  Part of the trick is to lay down the terrain beneath the forest canopy in as much detail as you would on a wide open steppe map.....Those undulations and folds become equally as important when the fighting starts, but at a much shorter range.

So I do stand by my statement that (IMHO) the engine could readily run engagements from the wider theatre (including Burma/SEAC).  B)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Well until you try it......   I have and it wasn’t nearly as interesting as I thought it might be.  You are limited to engagements that happen with some reasonably clear terrain. That pretty much eliminates a good portion of the pacific theater.  Throw in that extreme rarity of tanks, inability to properly simulate defenses, no close quarters combat etc and the financial piece starts really sounding questionable.  Unless you can convince BF that they should create it at a loss I don’t see getting any traction. 

Not really an advocate for a Pacific version of CM...but why does everyone think the Pacific only had jungle warfare.  Battles were fought over a huge expanse of the Pacific and Asian regions.  Battles were fought in terrain not very different from parts of Europe.  Even on some "jungle" islands, large battles were fought over open spaces, towns, and airfields.   One of the largest urban battles of the war was fought in Manila.  The US forces would be almost the same as whats in CMFI.

Again, not advocating a Pacific version because of commercial concerns.  But for a bunch of people thinking they are students of World War 2, you seem to not know a lot about a huge part of the war.  Just look up some of the battles in the Philippines in 1942 and in 1944/45.  At CM's scale, there are some battles that would be great for CM to simulate, especially in 1942.  

1 hour ago, Ts4EVER said:

Hurtgen forest is not a jungle though. And if I started a scenario where I had a lot of infantry and a huge forest area I would probably close it immediately. In fact, that is why I never started that amiens campaign.

But that's simply your personal taste (&  loss), it does not reflect any inherent weakness in the game engine.  ;)

44 minutes ago, Thewood1 said:

Again, not advocating a Pacific version because of commercial concerns.  But for a bunch of people thinking they are students of World War 2, you seem to not know a lot about a huge part of the war.

Considering who's in here, that's rather rude & massively incorrect.  :mellow:

1 hour ago, Thewood1 said:

Not really an advocate for a Pacific version of CM...but why does everyone think the Pacific only had jungle warfare.  Battles were fought over a huge expanse of the Pacific and Asian regions.  Battles were fought in terrain not very different from parts of Europe.  Even on some "jungle" islands, large battles were fought over open spaces, towns, and airfields.   One of the largest urban battles of the war was fought in Manila.  The US forces would be almost the same as whats in CMFI.

Again, not advocating a Pacific version because of commercial concerns.  But for a bunch of people thinking they are students of World War 2, you seem to not know a lot about a huge part of the war.  Just look up some of the battles in the Philippines in 1942 and in 1944/45.  At CM's scale, there are some battles that would be great for CM to simulate, especially in 1942.  

Right on. Saipan,  Manila area, Guam isnt much jungle? (I think) , Iwo Jima certainly not jungle, Okinawa, New Guinea has some varied terrain. I have expressed my hope for a CM Pacific in some old threads. I'd buy it for sure . I don't start threads about it because I figure nagging the BF guys about it will kill any hope of it ever happening. So I just hope and if it happens it happens.

Edited by J Bennett
tidy up