JSj

Fire suppression from small arms discussion

What makes items obscenely expensive is the servicing and maintenance that the contractors ensure that they build into the products.  Like when your fridge goes bad after a couple years use and it costs $600 to change a circuit board - and of course you have to get a contractor to do that - god forbid they make a fridge so that a customer could service it.  Cars are going the same way now...

On 1/8/2019 at 3:31 PM, Erwin said:

Cars are going the same way now...

From what I have heard from car owners, they began doing that 20-30 years ago. And every computer I've ever owned has come with a proviso that it must be serviced by an authorized service representative or the warrantee is voided.

Michael

How long b4 hospitals start doing the same thing?   "Sorry, you went to an unapproved doctor, your insurance is now void at this hospital."

1 hour ago, Erwin said:

How long b4 hospitals start doing the same thing?   "Sorry, you went to an unapproved doctor, your insurance is now void at this hospital."

Insurance has been that way for 20-30 years now too.  Not Hospital specific per say but managed care limited you to a set list of doctors - which is the same thing.

As for cars, I remember when changing a headlight involved unscrewing the old one and putting a new one in.  Now it requires special tools and usually taking apart half of the bumper.

1 hour ago, Dynaman216 said:

As for cars, I remember when changing a headlight involved unscrewing the old one and putting a new one in.  Now it requires special tools and usually taking apart half of the bumper.

Every year manufacturers are adding more model specific tools to automobile components not to mention locking down the software needed to what was once thought of as routine diagnostics. It's progress I guess...

4 hours ago, Erwin said:

Obviously it's a question of who decides what is interesting.  Reminds me of the happy old days of the Soviet Union.  Good times.

Oh, shove it. If someone sees that the topic is about suppression from small arms, that's the discussion they should see when they open the topic - not a bunch of grumblings about health insurance and car repairs. 

Edited by LukeFF

6 hours ago, LukeFF said:

Oh, shove it. If someone sees that the topic is about suppression from small arms, that's the discussion they should see when they open the topic - not a bunch of grumblings about health insurance and car repairs. 

Get em, Luke. 😃