• Announcements

• Battlefront.com

Special Upgrade 4 Tech Tips   12/27/2016

Hi all! Now that Upgrade 4 is out and about in large quantities we have now discovered a few SNAFUs that happen out in the scary, real world that is home computing.  Fortunately the rate of problems is extremely small and so far most are easily worked around.  We've identified a few issues that have similar causes which we have clear instructions for work arounds here they are: 1.  CMRT Windows customers need to re-license their original key.  This is a result of improvements to the licensing system which CMBN, CMBS, and CMFB are already using.  To do this launch CMRT with the Upgrade and the first time enter your Engine 4 key.  Exit and then use the "Activate New Products" shortcut in your CMRT folder, then enter your Engine 3 license key.  That should do the trick. 2.  CMRT and CMBN MacOS customers have a similar situation as #2, however the "Activate New Products" is inside the Documents folder in their respective CM folders.  For CMBN you have to go through the process described above for each of your license keys.  There is no special order to follow. 3.  For CMBS and CMFB customers, you need to use the Activate New Products shortcut and enter your Upgrade 4 key.  If you launch the game and see a screen that says "LICENSE FAILURE: Base Game 4.0 is required." that is an indication you haven't yet gone through that procedure.  Provided you had a properly functioning copy before installing the Upgrade, that should be all you need to do.  If in the future you have to install from scratch on a new system you'll need to do the same procedure for both your original license key and your Upgrade 4.0 key. 4.  There's always a weird one and here it is.  A few Windows users are not getting "Activate New Products" shortcuts created during installation.  Apparently anti-virus software is preventing the installer from doing its job.  This might not be a problem right now, but it will prove to be an issue at some point in the future.  The solution is to create your own shortcut using the following steps: Disable your anti-virus software before you do anything. Go to your Desktop, right click on the Desktop itself, select NEW->SHORTCUT, use BROWSE to locate the CM EXE that you are trying to fix. The location is then written out. After it type in a single space and then paste this:

-showui

Click NEXT and give your new Shortcut a name (doesn't matter what). Confirm that and you're done. Double click on the new Shortcut and you should be prompted to license whatever it is you need to license. At this time we have not identified any issues that have not been worked around.  Let's hope it stays that way Steve
    • Battlefront.com

Forum Reorganization   10/12/2017

We've reorganized our Combat Mission Forums to reflect the fact that most of you are now running Engine 4 and that means you're all using the same basic code.  Because of that, there's no good reason to have the discussion about Combat Mission spread out over 5 separate sets of Forums.  There is now one General Discussion area with Tech Support and Scenario/Mod Tips sub forums.  The Family specific Tech Support Forums have been moved to a new CM2 Archives area and frozen in place. You might also notice we dropped the "x" from distinguishing between the first generation of CM games and the second.  The "x" was reluctantly adopted back in 2005 or so because at the time we had the original three CM games on European store shelves entitled CM1, CM2, and CM3 (CMBO, CMBB, and CMAK).  We didn't want to cause confusion so we added the "x".  Time has moved on and we have to, so the "x" is now gone from our public vocabulary as it has been from our private vocabulary for quite a while already.  Side note, Charles *NEVER* used the "x" so now we're all speaking the same language as him.  Which is important since he is the one programming them
Lee Vincent

Reshade Graphics Post-processor

1 minute ago, CarlWAW said:

Card is Nvidia GTX960M.

Yeah back when I had a GTX280, GTX580 or the GTX980 I have now I've never managed to get smooth shadows in CMx2 titles.

I have a Nvidia GTX950 (PC) . The only shaders that I have turn on is:

Clarity.fx + Curves.fx + MXAO.fx + SMAA.fx

Now have to load Reshader to CMRT and maybe to CMFB. I will also load it in CMSF2 and see what it will look like.

My Alien Laptop has a Nvidia GTX660M, going to see if it will work on the laptop.

12 hours ago, Marwek77 aka Red Reporter said:

So i removed all Mods and started CMBS withou ReShade. It works and started little bit faster. But when i re-renamed opengl.dll and opengl.ini back same problem. Immediatelly crah... At least i know now that Mods are not doing this...

There should be a file OpenGL.log or something in the have directory that may shed some light on what is going wrong. PM it to me and I can try to help?

This link may be helpful. It is for M2TW but gives some good suggestions for which settings to tweak to obtain particular visual effects, which will also work for CM. Though it uses an older version of ReShade, most of it still applies.

It's cool to see this forum open about reshade. I had a question if anyone might have some answers on using reshade. I'm having an issue with movement and target orders being off by 15m+ so I was curious if there was a way for reshade to not do that?

2 hours ago, Ridaz said:

I uninstalled the reshade cause I can't stand the stand the warping menu and loading turn screen. 

I disable the effects when not watching the battle.  You can set a key combination to do it - for me it's Shift + ~.  This way I avoid the warping menu, as you call it (I like the imagery the word conjures!)

1 hour ago, HerrTom said:

I disable the effects when not watching the battle.  You can set a key combination to do it - for me it's Shift + ~.  This way I avoid the warping menu, as you call it (I like the imagery the word conjures!)

Thx I'll try it out, I was finding for the disable button as well. I'll give another shot! 

14 minutes ago, Ridaz said:

Thx I'll try it out, I was finding for the disable button as well. I'll give another shot! 

The default is Shift-F3 to toggle on/off.

35 minutes ago, Ridaz said:

You set it in one of the tabs in the reshade configuration overlay. Good luck!

2 hours ago, carcer said:

It's cool to see this forum open about reshade. I had a question if anyone might have some answers on using reshade. I'm having an issue with movement and target orders being off by 15m+ so I was curious if there was a way for reshade to not do that?

Which presets are you using? I'm using ReShade 3.1 on Win7-64bit with an AMD Radeon  HD7850. I also go against recommendation and *keep* AA and shaders turned on in CM. I lose hit decals with in-game shaders off. And AA is on as I have no access to display depth not to mention the more effective AA shaders which only work with NVidia cards.

I  limit my use to a couple a sharpens, a LUT, UIMask (yours), curves, and ambient lighting. These have minimal impact on FPS while "improving" the visuals to my bad eyes!

Unfortunately, what works for NVidia will not for AMD.

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 12:18 AM, HerrTom said:

I said I'd make an illustrated guide, and I did!  Hopefully it helps some of those who were asking me about it :D 

Step Zero is to download the Reshade distribution at the bottom of the page here: https://reshade.me/

Steps 1 through 8 are in my guide here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LG9Og33Re95sPx4KyKtk98DjyUyK-Qcn

And my preset is here https://drive.google.com/open?id=1dQ5zgLkyS5RRI559yJG929QFs2YqnRdb

Hopefully the archive works, I didn't really do extensive testing on it.

zU2QLl3.png?1

6YTMclm.png?1

3Tz42y8.png?1

Absolutely appreciate this!!!

10 hours ago, HerrTom said:

You set it in one of the tabs in the reshade configuration overlay. Good luck!

"Effects Toggle Key" set it to what you want to turn it on or off.

Thanks for the reply herrtom. Yea I wasn't sure if you were playing the game that way or just going back to watch. When I get a chance I'm curious if an open gl shader like the one made by BarbaricCo could get close to the color tones and such as your presets.

Howler, been a while since I've been playing CM so I'm out of the loop on presets these days. I'll just be trying different stuff out like the one your describing. sounds like a cool set-up to play with. I'd like to try JohnO's as well that screen shot is really vivid is a good way.

24 minutes ago, carcer said:

Thanks for the reply herrtom. Yea I wasn't sure if you were playing the game that way or just going back to watch. When I get a chance I'm curious if an open gl shader like the one made by BarbaricCo could get close to the color tones and such as your presets.

I think you certainly could, provided you know how to write shaders!

4 hours ago, JohnO said:

Any of you know which Reshade effect is best for sharpness?

I've always been able to use LumaSharpen and it doesn't impact FPS.

You can also try HighPassSharpen and AdaptiveSharpen. You can use all three as you like.

In CMSF I go with all three, in CMBS I do LumaSharpen only, and in CMBN Luma along with AdaptiveSharpen.

Keep in mind my eyes are bad, I'm using an ATI card, and I like sharp stark visuals. Oh, I can't use the nifty NVidia shaders in ReShade (FXAA/MXAO) so...

59 minutes ago, Howler said:

I've always been able to use LumaSharpen and it doesn't impact FPS.

You can also try HighPassSharpen and AdaptiveSharpen. You can use all three as you like.

In CMSF I go with all three, in CMBS I do LumaSharpen only, and in CMBN Luma along with AdaptiveSharpen.

Keep in mind my eyes are bad, I'm using an ATI card, and I like sharp stark visuals. Oh, I can't use the nifty NVidia shaders in ReShade (FXAA/MXAO) so...

Thanks, I'll give it a shot tonight.

just installed this with herrtom's preset and i am having a horrible experience. it is blurry on as hell and it keeps shifting from blurry to normal and it is mighty annoying. to make it worst, when i open the console (shift-F2) the map starts spinning and i have a developed severe nausea...

however, it looks good when it works. now, what effect i need to turn off in order to stop the damn thing from blurring the screen?

4 hours ago, mbarbaric said:

just installed this with herrtom's preset and i am having a horrible experience. it is blurry on as hell and it keeps shifting from blurry to normal and it is mighty annoying. to make it worst, when i open the console (shift-F2) the map starts spinning and i have a developed severe nausea...

however, it looks good when it works. now, what effect i need to turn off in order to stop the damn thing from blurring the screen?

Disable Depth of Field.  I only use it for screenshots so I apologise if it's not 100% gameplay compatible!

9 hours ago, HerrTom said:

Disable Depth of Field.  I only use it for screenshots so I apologise if it's not 100% gameplay compatible!

no problem, thanks for the info!