Jump to content
semmes

Reaction time / LOS

Recommended Posts

Now playing CMRT form CMBB. Is there any patch, anybody is working in the reaction time for units when they "see" -or apparently not- something at 5 or 50m?

I will explain.

Russian SMG walking past a German AT... they stop -by chance, the destination point in that turn- and THEN they turn around and shoot.

Sdkfz 75L24 and a PzS team... a IS2 moving at 60m... some trees but CLEAR -blue- LOS. I order area fire and they shoot -and miss, tank keeps moving... after the 2nd or 3rd round -one was faster than the other- suddenly they to see what they have right in front of them... a very big, noisy, green thing; and now it had been in the open for a few moments.

The "relative spotting" is great, actually I think it was the one thing spoiling CMBB but this seems to be about some scripted reaction time.

 

Now we have resupply for infantry... great improvement. Why not for ATs or AFVs? why somebody didn't put in place an ammo lorry?

 

 




			
		

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, semmes said:

Now playing CMRT form CMBB. Is there any patch, anybody is working in the reaction time for units when they "see" -or apparently not- something at 5 or 50m?

Close range is where CM spotting can feel off. There have been some changes made in the past (engine v2 or was it v3 I cannot remember) so that spotting cycles are sped up when enemy units are closer to each other. That helps with the problem of there being no chance at all of spotting an enemy unit between the cycle time. However it is not perfect.

Here are some comments made by Steve.

 

As a bonus some additional discussion about spotting.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, semmes said:

Now we have resupply for infantry... great improvement. Why not for ATs or AFVs? why somebody didn't put in place an ammo lorry?

There is ammo in lorries and you can even make them ammo dumps in a scenario. If your AT gun is towed by a truck there is likely AT gun ammo in the truck. That might not be for all guns but I am sure I have seen it before.

As for AVVs resupplying ammo that is not supported. The thinking is that is a rear area activity since it requires significant time and open hatches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, IanL said:

Close range is where CM spotting can feel off. There have been some changes made in the past (engine v2 or was it v3 I cannot remember) so that spotting cycles are sped up when enemy units are closer to each other. That helps with the problem of there being no chance at all of spotting an enemy unit between the cycle time. However it is not perfect.

So... can we expect a notch down in graphics and faster cycles? ...or hope?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, IanL said:

There is ammo in lorries and you can even make them ammo dumps in a scenario. If your AT gun is towed by a truck there is likely AT gun ammo in the truck. That might not be for all guns but I am sure I have seen it before.

As for AVVs resupplying ammo that is not supported. The thinking is that is a rear area activity since it requires significant time and open hatches.

 

Yes, it is a rear area but with 4km, hills and 4 hours... some of them, specially SPGs could go, resupply and come back -if you are careful enough and they don't get blown up in the way. Sorry, my point was: it has been implemented  for some, why not for all? and then you choose if you want to use it.

Getting a HMG more ammo is not going to happen in the firing line, unless you get a supply of ammo bearers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, semmes said:

So... can we expect a notch down in graphics and faster cycles? ...or hope?

I am not sure what you are asking there. I suspect that what we have is what we are going to get. They already implemented some improvements to make close encounters work better and have not really said there are plans to do more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Just to make sure, what time of day is the scenario, and how are the weather conditions?

Do you have smoke and vegetation toggled ON?

Edited by Bulletpoint

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

Just to make sure, what time of day is the scenario, and how are the weather conditions?

Do you have smoke and vegetation toggled ON?

Also what is the experience level and motivation state of the troops involved?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, IanL said:

I am not sure what you are asking there. I suspect that what we have is what we are going to get. They already implemented some improvements to make close encounters work better and have not really said there are plans to do more.

 

Just being selfish... I would rather have faster cycles -and better IA-  than really, really nice graphics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Badger73 said:

Also what is the experience level and motivation state of the troops involved?

..and to Bulletpoint:

 

I did not mention any of that because it was not a factor.

You have a moving tank in front of you in a beautiful sunny day in a golf course... at 60m!

Yes, the cycles should be faster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And after reading the STUG/AI, LOS/LOF/trees... yes, I understand there is going more than one glitch, I'll be asking about them when it's too big or it lasts too long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, semmes said:

..and to Bulletpoint:

I did not mention any of that because it was not a factor.

You have a moving tank in front of you in a beautiful sunny day in a golf course... at 60m!

Yes, the cycles should be faster.

I disagree.  You assume those are not factors without thoroughly investigating whether they are or not.  Less experienced, fatigued, or more nervous troops will and do take longer to react and are more likely to hesitate and freeze.  Time and weather may or may not adversely affect them as well.  I agree that the game has limitations which could be improved.  Willfully ignoring the factors @Bulletpoint and I asked about diminishes people on this forum from understanding the facts your presented sufficiently well to objectively assess the reasonableness of those specific outcomes and the validity of your conclusions.

Edited by Badger73

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Badger73 said:

You assume those are not factors without thoroughly investigating whether they are or not.

I think he meant the weather and light levels specifically here..

 

1 hour ago, Badger73 said:

Less experienced, fatigued, or more nervous troops will and do take longer to react and are more likely to hesitate and freeze.

I think that's not represented in the game currently? About the experience, yes, but I don't think fatigue and nervousness affect the spotting - as far as I understood the recent soft factor test by Josey Wales..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

<snipped>

I think that's not represented in the game currently? About the experience, yes, but I don't think fatigue and nervousness affect the spotting - as far as I understood the recent soft factor test by Josey Wales..

I thought @Josey Wales demonstrated that firing effectiveness is not affected by fatigue, condition, nor leadership.  I didn't take that to mean spotting was not affected as well.

Good point.  We should ask him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×