Jump to content
Battlefront.com

Happy New Year's Day! 2018 look ahead

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, 3j2m7 said:

Erwin and everybody on the forum don't tell me you would not be happy to see one or two screenshots of Rome to victory only to see how heavy could the work could be !!

Be realist please... like Mord says in a post (I dont remember where) !

"There is only one picture from From Rome to victory since two years a simple view of a soldier view in turbans...!!!

I am patient respecfull  for the workers but very exited to see how BF and his Staff would ending the wwar II with the (2 (last) modules) I and for sure everybody  would  like to know little more...

Fortsetzung folgt...

Actually am not bothered about pics.  Having heavily modified CM2 titles gives me all the graphics highs I need.  :)

Am more concerned about the quality of gameplay.  Which is one reason that I hope CM3 is in the works as that is the only way we'll see a major advance/improvement of gameplay experience.

+1 re Bulletpoint's point re fighting "the basically same situation in three different games."   Yes.  It's a growing concern that have played so much CM2 that all the WW2 titles are starting  to "feel" very similar in terms of gameplay experience.

"...for variety, I think it would be more interesting to branch out in different years of the war, where the relative strengths were different."

Agreed.  However, we've been playing essentially the same CM2 experience for over ten years (from CMSF onwards).  It's looks likely it will take at least another 5 years to get to early war (and perhaps longer).  Am having a hard time imagining playing essentially the same game for 15-20 years without the major improvements that CM3 would provide. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Erwin said:

Actually am not bothered about pics.  Having heavily modified CM2 titles gives me all the graphics highs I need.  :)

Am more concerned about the quality of gameplay.  Which is one reason that I hope CM3 is in the works as that is the only way we'll see a major advance/improvement of gameplay experience.

+1 re Bulletpoint's point re fighting "the basically same situation in three different games."   Yes.  It's a growing concern that have played so much CM2 that all the WW2 titles are starting  to "feel" very similar in terms of gameplay experience.

"...for variety, I think it would be more interesting to branch out in different years of the war, where the relative strengths were different."

Agreed.  However, we've been playing essentially the same CM2 experience for over ten years (from CMSF onwards).  It's looks likely it will take at least another 5 years to get to early war (and perhaps longer).  Am having a hard time imagining playing essentially the same game for 15-20 years without the major improvements that CM3 would provide. 

 

Actually am not bothered about...

// probably you are more interested to CMSF2 because already some pics from Steve, personly I am more interresting about Ww2 //

Am more concerned about the quality of gameplay...

//yes very impatient yo see engine3 hope to extend to all CMs//

//very similar yes except if the 2 news modules bring something new//

// Totally agree would like see 39 40 could be very interresting//

Thanks to yours comments

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Jesus.....Are they allowed to eat & sleep too?  :rolleyes:

Yes cos the the miracle is already awaiting, since longtime...;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

Battlefront kind of started in the middle  of the end.  CMFI July 1943.  They are working their way to the end of WWII with mostly modules but also one game, CMFB (it follows CMBN).  Once they reach the end my understanding is that they will work their way backwards through the early years (how far and in how much detail I don't think they have said).  When working there way forward modules progress time forward.  It will be interesting to see in what direction modules will progress time when working backwards through history......    

My understanding that this mostly works specifically for the Eastern front.  The Western front would wrap up with the modules for CMFB and CMFI. I have never heard a suggestion from BF of doing earlier period Western Front.  The Eastern Front theory was each family would cover a year and that family might have several modules to cover that year.  CMRT is June 1944 to end of war.  The next family would be some year prior.  Theoretically the immediate year prior as there would be better overlap reducing some of the time for each title.  That kind of gets a wrench if you do say June 1943-May 1944 as your overlap is mostly going to be in your last module for that Family.  I expect that those early projections of how this would work need some review.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sburke said:

My understanding that this mostly works specifically for the Eastern front.  The Western front would wrap up with the modules for CMFB and CMFI. I have never heard a suggestion from BF of doing earlier period Western Front.  

Okay.  I didn't understand it was just the Eastern front. 

Hmmmmm, makes me wonder what game titles they will produce down the road?  It takes awhile to get game titles out the door but after the Western front is done and CMSF2 is out the door........... They will have some modules/packs for CMBS & CMFB for awhile.  But the only new titles would seem to be Eastern front going backwards in time.   I wonder what else they would want to create to pay the bills and all?  Maybe North Africa but I don't remember them ever even hinting at that.............. 

I'm a little concerned that if they don't produce titles in new areas they will have to start over again.  Probably with a new engine, similar to CM1 going to CM2.  Next it could be CM3 and back to the beaches and hedgerows of Normandy?  I like the potential that a new engine would bring but I'm not sure how I feel about going back to Normandy again.  Maybe CM3 North Africa?  That would be cool but then what?  Battlefront seems very cautious about straying to far away from historical WWII.   

I guess as some of these current titles wrap up in the next two years we'll find out................  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MOS:96B2P said:

Next it could be CM3 and back to the beaches and hedgerows of Normandy

no way, CM3 would have start at a 42 or 43 EF game to please that crowd and then work the WF peeps

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is the points system an engine issue? I mean will the CMSF2  units have points attached? We play a global campaign based on Hearts of Iron and CMRT combo, using Combat Mission to conclude the HOI battles from the tactical point of view.  But as it is,wanting to run in parallel a CMSF based campaign, we find it difficult to replicate HOI units into CMSF since there are no points to simulate the unit combat power. And this is more important in modern warfare since there are tons of  internal sensors, optics, armor material and other modifications that make a seemingly similar tank/unit completely different from others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Cambronne said:

Is the points system an engine issue? I mean will the CMSF2  units have points attached? We play a global campaign based on Hearts of Iron and CMRT combo, using Combat Mission to conclude the HOI battles from the tactical point of view.  But as it is,wanting to run in parallel a CMSF based campaign, we find it difficult to replicate HOI units into CMSF since there are no points to simulate the unit combat power. And this is more important in modern warfare since there are tons of  internal sensors, optics, armor material and other modifications that make a seemingly similar tank/unit completely different from others.

You get points when purchase units in a quick battle. But how to translate the HOI points value in CM is another question.

Edited by sypox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Erwin said:

Am more concerned about the quality of gameplay.  Which is one reason that I hope CM3 is in the works as that is the only way we'll see a major advance/improvement of gameplay experience.

Agreed.  However, we've been playing essentially the same CM2 experience for over ten years (from CMSF onwards).  It's looks likely it will take at least another 5 years to get to early war (and perhaps longer).  Am having a hard time imagining playing essentially the same game for 15-20 years without the major improvements that CM3 would provide. 

 

Sorry but do you an idea of what CM3 will look like? At this stage, we can only guess or open a wish list thread, no?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ncc1701e said:

Sorry but do you an idea of what CM3 will look like? At this stage, we can only guess or open a wish list thread, no?

No he doesn't and if you open such a thread somebody will open the same one in about a year's time - rinse and repeat for every year that CM3 is not released. Seriously ... it is far too early to be thinking that CM3 is coming on the horizon given the workload that Steve has already outlined. This workload I doubt will prevent them from paying much attention to what is said about CM3 out here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

They will have some modules/packs for CMBS & CMFB for awhile.

Are there any modules planned for CMFB? I don't think any have been revealed yet, and since the scope of CMFB is quite narrow, I'm not sure what else they could add by a module.. Hürtgenwald maybe? But then again, that can be designed within the current toolsets - wouldn't need any new content, as far as I know. Maybe they would make it a campaign pack.

11 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

I'm a little concerned that if they don't produce titles in new areas they will have to start over again.  Probably with a new engine, similar to CM1 going to CM2.  Next it could be CM3 and back to the beaches and hedgerows of Normandy?  I like the potential that a new engine would bring but I'm not sure how I feel about going back to Normandy again.

Hmmm. This point comes up time and again on this forum, but I'm not sure why it should logically follow that a new engine would mean starting back in Normandy again? I think that line of thought belongs more with mainstream wargames, where you need to lure in fickle customers by using a setting they know from movies. CM is a niche product, and one of the good things about being niche is that it can go its own way.

I could just as well imagine them opening with CM:Stalingrad, especially if a new CM3 engine improved city fighting by better modelling of ruins and finally solving the building targeting issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

Are there any modules planned for CMFB?

I could just as well imagine them opening with CM:Stalingrad, especially if a new CM3 engine improved city fighting by better modelling of ruins and finally solving the building targeting issues.

Whatever Battlefront adds to get CMFB to the end of the war.  Currently CMFB ends in January 1945 so there are about four more months to fill out.  Maybe one module for the four months of time and then one or two battle packs?  I'm sure however they complete the CMFB family it will be very cool and I will buy it.  I was just wondering where they would go next and if they would go with a new engine.  

Your CM3 Stalingrad idea is very interesting.  I would buy that too :).    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ncc1701e said:

Let's be happy with what we have already

^^^This: "Its not getting what you want, it's wanting what you've got"

:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

Are there any modules planned for CMFB? I don't think any have been revealed yet, and since the scope of CMFB is quite narrow, I'm not sure what else they could add by a module.. Hürtgenwald maybe? But then again, that can be designed within the current toolsets - wouldn't need any new content, as far as I know. Maybe they would make it a campaign pack.

Commonwealth forces are pretty much a given for CMFB. I think the British and the Commonwealth contributed to ending the war.... at least that's what my Opa told me!

Edited by Heirloom_Tomato

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, we're already on to the next holiday (St Valentine's Day).  Time for the promised screen shots or at least more info about the content to be included in the CMRT module!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

Are there any modules planned for CMFB? I don't think any have been revealed yet, and since the scope of CMFB is quite narrow, I'm not sure what else they could add by a module.. Hürtgenwald maybe? But then again, that can be designed within the current toolsets - wouldn't need any new content, as far as I know. Maybe they would make it a campaign pack.

I think it was discussed quite some time ago so who knows if it has been revised but I was under the impression there would be a Commonwealth module to cover the existing October 1944 - January 1945 timeframe (Scheldt campaign, Antwerp etc), and then followed by a second module that would cover the final months of the war between February to May from all sides. (Crossing of the Rhine etc).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There seems to be much "wish" listing so I would like to add my two cents.  I've been war gaming since the early seventy's.  Board games, 1/285 scale micro armor, and remember those war games you subscribed to.  You would get one every few months that had a battle on a paper map and small cardboard units.  Well it was always fun to mix and match units from one game to another, especially with the micro armor.  In that light I would like to see all of the vehicles and equipment from the x1 games in the x2 games with the ability to use them in any of the series.  Historically accurate no, but fun yes.  Also, remember "shoot and scoot".  And while I am at it expand shoot and scoot to infantry especially anti-tank folks.  Fire that bazooka and run like hell.  If a vehicle comes under fire have the troops bail and not sit there and be slaughtered.  Also another real nice feature in x1 was the ability to hit the return key and get all the stats about armor and gun penetration values in actual numbers.  And of course the ability for vehicles to make turns without "stop pivot move, stop pivot move etc.  Sorry I rambled on but I am in my seventies and that is something we old folks do.  I do enjoy the games and appreciate the hard work that is put into them and will gladly pay for upgrades.  Thanks.

Edited by transporter
Forgot to enter something

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2018 at 9:29 PM, MOS:96B2P said:

Okay.  I didn't understand it was just the Eastern front. 

Hmmmmm, makes me wonder what game titles they will produce down the road?  It takes awhile to get game titles out the door but after the Western front is done and CMSF2 is out the door........... They will have some modules/packs for CMBS & CMFB for awhile.  But the only new titles would seem to be Eastern front going backwards in time.   I wonder what else they would want to create to pay the bills and all?  Maybe North Africa but I don't remember them ever even hinting at that.............. 

I'm a little concerned that if they don't produce titles in new areas they will have to start over again.  Probably with a new engine, similar to CM1 going to CM2.  Next it could be CM3 and back to the beaches and hedgerows of Normandy?  I like the potential that a new engine would bring but I'm not sure how I feel about going back to Normandy again.  Maybe CM3 North Africa?  That would be cool but then what?  Battlefront seems very cautious about straying to far away from historical WWII.   

I guess as some of these current titles wrap up in the next two years we'll find out................  

I know that BF has indicated that they aren't interested in doing a Korean War game but I think that it would be a great idea. The mountainous terrain can be done well as we have seen in CMFI. The US and South Korean TO&E is essentially the same as late WW2. North Korean and Chinese TO&E is similar to to the Soviets in CMRT. The last couple of years of the Korean War degenerated into static fighting along the current DMZ but the first six months were incredibly fluid. Imagine a campaign as the KPA 105th Armored Division vs. the US 24th ID at the Battle of Taejon. Or the ROKA 6th ID during the Battle of Chuncheon. It would be an incredible game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×