Happy New Year's Day! 2018 look ahead

2 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Oh dear. You seem to not to understand irony. 

I slip in and out my alter ego's personality many times on this forum. And as mentioned previously on this site if I'd have been around at the time of the Putney Debates, I would have been one of those "strung up".

You might even wish to go back to Page 3 of this thread where I make my real views on Fascism crystal clear, via the late great lefty Woody Guthrie.

Goodness, my apologies if I misunderstood this.  I am very sorry about that and to have sullied you in any way.  I was surprised to see someone call for lefties to be killed here and perhaps over-reacted since I didn't understand it.  Some of us in the US are a bit sensitive these days when, for example, man that can actually start nuclear war tweets about actually starting nuclear war. 

I'll leave it and that and return more to listening to the forum than talking. 

9 minutes ago, danfrodo said:

Goodness, my apologies if I misunderstood this.  I am very sorry about that and to have sullied you in any way.  I was surprised to see someone call for lefties to be killed here and perhaps over-reacted since I didn't understand it.  Some of us in the US are a bit sensitive these days when, for example, man that can actually start nuclear war tweets about actually starting nuclear war. 

I'll leave it and that and return more to listening to the forum than talking. 

No probs Dan, my Limey humour isn't to everyone's taste.

I now realize that you are much like a friend of mine who also goes "into character".   And best of luck to you & Blighty. 

By the way, I have this weird penchant for playing the British in CMBN.  So much goofy gear.  Goofy helmets, goofy little mortars (quite effective, wish I had more rounds), PIATS (which somehow took out a tiger other day), Cromwell tanks (who thought this was a good idea by 1944?), Bren gun carriers (adorable little things).   Currently doing Scottish Corridor.

3 minutes ago, danfrodo said:

I now realize that you are much like a friend of mine who also goes "into character".   And best of luck to you & Blighty. 

By the way, I have this weird penchant for playing the British in CMBN.  So much goofy gear.  Goofy helmets, goofy little mortars (quite effective, wish I had more rounds), PIATS (which somehow took out a tiger other day), Cromwell tanks (who thought this was a good idea by 1944?), Bren gun carriers (adorable little things).   Currently doing Scottish Corridor.

Good luck with that campaign. I got my Limey arse kicked when I first tried it. 

As for the Cromwell tank, there was an interesting series on the BBC a few years back called "Tankies", it seems that not too many of the guys who used to have to use them were happy about it.

So much goofy gear? :rolleyes:

Been doing same campaign, also getting my arse handed so to speak. Seeming to need to be more cautious to avoid massive casualties. But its meaning I am not achieving much in the way of objectives. Giving the campaign an rest for the moment and just doing some quick missions, to resume/restart once the patch comes in, think that not having much MMG (not given) or LMG (given an extra per platoon but not doing its job unless close) capability (other than whatever Bren Carriers or Tanks am given) has been an kinda big handicap to me.

Edited by Oliver_88

Sgt Squarehead, yes, oh my, Brits have very good tanks at end of war, like americans.  Sure coulda use a few hundred of those heavy gunned, heavy armored beasties in Normandy.  In US I know it was Generals McNair (head of Army) & Patton (head of ego) that vetoed any heavies (until overridden finally by Sec of War Marshall). 

8 hours ago, DougPhresh said:

I’d be happy to have expanded Italians (flesh out the Sicily ToE, Co-Belligerent, Fascists, Partisans) and Operation Dragoon follow Rome to Victory in CMFI.

Of course since Canadians went from Italy to North-West Europe for the end of the war there’s no secret for what I want to see in CMFB...

Have you read Mark Zuehlke Canadian Battle Series Books? He has three books covering the CMFB time frame and there are literally hundreds of cm scale scenarios in each book. I am currently reading "The Cinderella Campaign" about clearing the Channel Ports and I am really hoping Wasp flame throwers make it into the game at some point.

15 hours ago, danfrodo said:

Lefties hate the IDF?  I'm a lefty and have immense respect for the IDF (I've even been to Israel twice on business, amazing place, visited Masada).  That doesn't mean I agree with all Israeli policy, or all my own country's policies.

Stringing up lefties?  You mean the ones who believe in an evidence-based world, not fairy tales?  The ones that know that climate change is real, as is evolution, and the world is not just 6000 years old, and that people with non-white skin are also people, as are women?   You mean them?   The ones that know that war is real and real people die in them (which is totally cool as long as it is not one's own precious self, yes?)?  The ones who actually know history because they read books instead of watching TV all day?   You mean those folks?  Some of them have a full lifetime of interest in military history and therefore love what CM offers.  Keep your insults to your f(*&ing self.  Let's stick to CM on this forum, there's folks of many differing views of the world here.

14 hours ago, folkieredux said:

Well said, So tired of trumpers. They turn any topic on any forum into attack on people who have different views. Even when the topic is just about a computer game they still have to spew their drivel.

Hey guys, here's a bright idea: why don't you pay attention to the rules of the forum and keep the politics out of it?

2 hours ago, DougPhresh said:

It's on my reading list. For too much of the Canadian public our military history consists of only Vimy and Juno Beach. I think it's important to remember the Scheldt campaign as that fighting was at least as tough as Normandy if not moreso.

Probably more by a country mile mate - (but then I think you know that having seen the elephant yourself). Lest we forget.

9 hours ago, LukeFF said:

Hey guys, here's a bright idea: why don't you pay attention to the rules of the forum and keep the politics out of it?

Here's a bright idea for you, why don't you quote what combatinfman said  that prompted our response? or are you not that bright? If the moderators aren't going to stop the stupid comments about lefties and liberals then we will respond. It's not the first time he's done it.

Whoa guys - the parties in that discussion already agreed to drop it. No need to re-remind everyone again or get upset about that re-reminding. Let's just let it go.

And before anyone mentions it, this did not start with something that @Combatintman said it what that guy @LUCASWILLEN05 - who you are right has done that kind of thing before. This is another example of where using the forum feature of ignoring troublesome people is valuable. If we all ignored @LUCASWILLEN05 then no one would have noticed his inciting comment and this thread would still be on topic and a page shorter.

Edited by IanL
grammar fix

9 hours ago, Combatintman said:

Probably more by a country mile mate - (but then I think you know that having seen the elephant yourself). Lest we forget.

I'd agree.....Not long ago read a fairly detailed book on the Scheldt campaign (the title & author & current location of which elude me at present), I was staggered at what I found therein and I consider myself to be at least reasonably knowledgeable about WWII in NWE.  The sheer difficulty of operating in that terrain (& weather) is probably what made the biggest impact on me, staggering bravery under the most difficult circumstances imaginable.

default_poppy.gif

4 hours ago, LUCASWILLEN05 said:

Their loss 

No, because if they had to expand it we would not have gotten it at all.   This is one of those where you either see the glass as having something of value, or you simply get no glass.

Considering BF is already going to be discounting this for all current CMSF owners and they aren’t even sure financially how it is going to work out, the fact that they even decided to do this for all those who are avid CMSF fans is pretty awesome. It is an amazing demonstration of their appreciation for their user community and a major undertaking on their part. To try and put a negative spin on that is kind of lame. 

38 minutes ago, sburke said:

Considering BF is already going to be discounting this for all current CMSF owners and they aren’t even sure financially how it is going to work out, the fact that they even decided to do this for all those who are avid CMSF fans is pretty awesome. It is an amazing demonstration of their appreciation for their user community and a major undertaking on their part. To try and put a negative spin on that is kind of lame. 

Well said - I think it's amazing that BF are going to upgrade Shock Force. I was never much interested in things outside WWII before, but  love that game.

For anyone who's not bought it before it's a fully developed game with massive amounts of official content (literally year's worth) and with a huge community of designers already itching to get their paws on it.....Plus it's all going to be made available in one lump, possibly even slightly discounted if you buy it all in one go!

For those of us who own the original, well we already know what it can do with about 1/4 the game engine power that the new version will have, then there's all the options that we never had before, like Exit Zones, Triggers and so on.....And we get all this at a discounted price, in one go from the start.

But apparently there's a problem with this?  :huh:

Sorry, I'm just not seeing it.  :mellow:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

1 hour ago, sburke said:

No, because if they had to expand it we would not have gotten it at all.   This is one of those where you either see the glass as having something of value, or you simply get no glass.

I think that very few of the peolpe here that ask for additinal content for CMSFII does so with a negative frame of mind...

I'm pretty sure that almost all of us Think that this update-idea of CMSF that BFC is currently working on is a brilliant one...and we truely are apprisiative ! :)

What i think most people actually mean when they ask for more content is something like this...

By updating CMSF BFC have done a huge amount of work and will get fairly Little in excange for it (moneyvise..) Why not expand on it ? They have a top class 'basegame' already done (almost)...Why not continue on this  work by adding a few modules down the line ? adding extra formation packs...etc.

Charging full price for the modules/packs to 'help' pay for all the work they have put into the basegame...

Leaving it as a basegame only...they will miss out on an oppertunity to get some Money-in...

The intrest is there (i'm pretty sure) for additional content to CMSFII among us 'the players' :)

More expansion packs would always be very welcome, but there are already three packs in the package on offer.....Black Sea is going to feel very, very limited in scope once CM:SF II is out. 

I've recently been mucking about with a CENTCOM/Azerbaijani joint peacekeeping force for the immediate post(BFC)war years in Syria.....Ready for the coming fight against OSIRIS.  :ph34r: