Happy New Year's Day! 2018 look ahead

It's been a while since I last posted a comment on the forum... and it's already a quarter past midnight... but the mention of a winterized IS-2 triggered something ;-)

I've seen that beast last August in a tank museum somewhere north-west of Moscow:

(image wasn't visible because it is on PhotoBucket so I removed the dead link - Steve)

Do you think we might see it in the new CMRT Module???

7 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

Kinda young for a major general, don'cha think? Unless two stars means something else in whatever army she's in.

Michael

She was a poster child for the Russian annexation of Crimea.  They used her as the obviously and totally randomly selected former Ukrainian military personnel that switched sides.  I forget what position she got promoted to.

And yes, let's knock off the pics of women.  Not appropriate.

Steve

15 hours ago, Cobetco said:

Steve What about the Picknic in the hedge bug? has that been addressed? I've kinda been avoid CMBN for a bit because i seem to always reproduce this issue and it frustrates me to no end.

Not sure I'm familiar with that one.  What is it?

14 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

Any chance that vehicle windshield glass will be made non-bulletproof in the new patch? I know it's a bit late maybe, but hopefully it could just be a matter of changing the material properties of the glass...

Yup, I saw your post a few days ago and forwarded it onto Charles.  I agree there's probably something there that needs to be fixed.

12 hours ago, Miller786 said:

You misunderstand, this is exactly the problem, it is currently in mechanized infantry and it is not present in airborne infantry, a issue that i presume has been fixed? :)

Ah!  It might be fixed already as I often fix things when I notice them even if there's no pending release coming up.  I'll double check.

5 hours ago, DougPhresh said:

In CMRT, one of the Studabaker crew sits in the back of the truck and not the cab! :lol:

I'll double check on this one.  First I've heard of it though ;)

3 hours ago, weapon2010 said:

Steve , about this original  "running away problem", just curious about the testors and the process of testing?How does that get past the testors in the first place and released into the 4.0 engine?I don't wish to come off accusatory, I just don't understand the process. :unsure:

If testing were perfect there'd never be any bugs in any piece of software ever, so obviously the process isn't perfect :D  Even huge companies with hundreds of paid testers miss stuff all the time, fairly regularly major things.

What often happens is testers advocate for a "small tweak" late in the development process, the tweak is made but not tested for in all situations  Sometimes a seemingly small, possibly not even relevant, tweak results in something unexpected.  The problem with a game like CM is that there's millions of things going on and practical limitations on how much things can be tested.  Hindsight, of course, is perfect!

2 hours ago, Sequoia said:

Steve and Charles (and the rest of New England and Eastern Canada),  I hope you guys don't lose power in this storm. Best of luck.

I lost power a few too many times years ago so I'm off grid :D  Which is a good thing because it definitely is nasty out there.  Charles, on the other hand, has to hope Mother Nature doesn't slap him around.

Steve

3 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

Not sure I'm familiar with that one.  What is it?

On 12/25/2016 at 6:07 AM, Cobetco said:

You know i was just yesterday praising the AI, but it seems I've found a somewhat major bug. the AI likes to set up picnics in hedges and low bocage. what will happen is a pixeltrupen or two will not follow his squad if he hangs around those hedges, i'm not 100% sure its the hedges causing it, but the 3 times I've spotted this behavior they involved hedges. I of course have a save file featuring a pretty bad case where I moved a squad halfway across the map before noticing, if anybody wants to see it.

I hope this is just a CMBN issue and not a major 4.0 engine issue.

(edit, i brought screen grabs)

Ssboqbo.jpg

Srg Hillard and his grenadier are enjoying the day, watching birds (another squads leader is bugged behind them)

YBIPAnJ.jpg The rest of Hillards Squad... or is it? 

RwIqvpx.jpgwell that wasnt all the squad, because the last two men in Hillard's fireteam decided after marching halfway across the map they forgot about him, and are sprinting back to where he became bugged

Edited by Cobetco

I saw something like this once in CMBN (4.0) with a German squad.  Two guys stayed behind a hedge and would not follow the rest of the squad.  I finally split the squad which allowed me to give those guys their own move commend and they eventually caught up to their comrades...   

31 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

At the sacrifice of a company's worth of Fanatical Italian infantry, a tester confirmed that the Brens are operating in burst mode at all ranges.  No single shots!  I presume BARs are also similarly fixed as Charles said it was and for sure with Brens it is.

Steve

I for one am delighted to hear this,and looking forward to the patch!

42 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

At the sacrifice of a company's worth of Fanatical Italian infantry, a tester confirmed that the Brens are operating in burst mode at all ranges.  No single shots!  I presume BARs are also similarly fixed as Charles said it was and for sure with Brens it is.

Steve

To paraphrase the slogan on Woody Guthrie's guitar, "These Brens kill Fascists". 

21 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:
On 1/4/2018 at 10:31 AM, Bulletpoint said:

Any chance that vehicle windshield glass will be made non-bulletproof in the new patch? I know it's a bit late maybe, but hopefully it could just be a matter of changing the material properties of the glass...

Yup, I saw your post a few days ago and forwarded it onto Charles.  I agree there's probably something there that needs to be fixed.

Great to hear that. If you guys want the scenario file with my test setup, just let me know.

2 hours ago, SLIM said:

I never figured that to be a problem, given the BAR's ability to squeeze off single shots on it's low fire rate setting.

It is a problem because what's the point of a BAR if you cannot suppress the enemy with some automatic fire? you could shoot single shots just fine with garands.

Correct.  The magazine fed LMGs somehow got accidentally whacked at some point.  Which would be the Bren, BAR, and Breda.  For all I know the DP might also have taken a hit.  The good news is that the problem was isolated and fixed, so any LMG type weapon currently using single shot instead of bursts should be all better with the patch.

Steve

1 hour ago, Battlefront.com said:

Correct.  The magazine fed LMGs somehow got accidentally whacked at some point.  Which would be the Bren, BAR, and Breda.  For all I know the DP might also have taken a hit.  The good news is that the problem was isolated and fixed, so any LMG type weapon currently using single shot instead of bursts should be all better with the patch.

Steve

This is great to hear! In my experience the DP worked fine under v4, I assume because the magazine is bigger. 

It's been a while since I last posted a comment on the forum... but the mention of a winterized IS-2 triggered something ;-)

I've seen that beast last August in a tank museum somewhere north-west of Moscow:

IMG_6495.jpg

Do you think we might see it in the new CMRT Module???

(PS: and about the previous photobucket mess!)

Edited by jhmorneau