Battlefront has put a spell on me...

For the past week I have been trying out demos and done a lot of research about combat mission games, I can't help this feeling a carnal urge to buy CM game but I am a little tight on cash especially since Battlefront is selling in USD which is 4.2x bigger than my currency. So I need help to decided which CM game should I get first that has the most value. I liked shock force but since SF2 is coming out soon I'd prefer to just when until then and buy SF2 instead. 

I have found out that BFN and FI base games comes with the 4.0 engine while the rest need an additional update,  I really can't make up my mind...

@Dynaman216 is correct everything available at BFC, except shock force, is shipping with v4 already.

CMBN has three modules, a vehicle pack and a battle pack. CMFI has one module with another on the way. CMRT, CMFB and CMBS all are just the base game. Oh I forgot the battle pack for CMBS.

So the most content look at CMBN or CMFI.

7 hours ago, Ridaz said:

For the past week I have been trying out demos and done a lot of research about combat mission games, I can't help this feeling a carnal urge to buy CM game but I am a little tight on cash especially since Battlefront is selling in USD which is 4.2x bigger than my currency. So I need help to decided which CM game should I get first that has the most value. I liked shock force but since SF2 is coming out soon I'd prefer to just when until then and buy SF2 instead. 

I have found out that BFN and FI base games comes with the 4.0 engine while the rest need an additional update,  I really can't make up my mind...

If you know you liked shock force and money is tight, I’d wait for CMSF2.  I get that you have an itch to scratch, but for sheer volume of available content. CMSF is hard to beat, you already know you like it and very soon it should be at 4.0. If you actually have the ability to get 2 and want something else to go along with CMSF2, CMBN has far more content than anything else. 

23 minutes ago, Ridaz said:

Maybe I wasn't clear earlier, I actually I meant prefer modern era military which limits me to BS and SF and since SF is still not updated BS seems to be the only choice.

Will SF2 be $60?

I don’t believe BF has set a price yet, they have only noted it will be discounted for those who had already purchased CMSF. 

Cmbs is a really good title and significantly different than CMSF reflecting the technology increases in the intervening years. I’d be hard pressed to suggest which to get.  CMSF2 will have significantly more content but based on the old restrictions in scenario design. I really like them both. There is a lot more variety in units in CMSF if that is appealing.  

There is also the question of setting, temperate versus Middle East which does make a significant difference in feel. 

Black Sea isn't as flexible as a fully loaded CM:SF install, but it's also at a much earlier stage in its development.....So as @sburke suggests, if you are buying from scratch it's mostly a matter of which environment you prefer. 

If you wait for CM:SF II, you will have to buy the base game and the add-ons (Marines, NATO, UK) to get the full package (I believe a slightly discounted 'all-in-one' package is on the cards). 

On the other hand if you prefer CM:BS, you will (along with the rest of us) be waiting for some add-on packs to make the game a bit more rounded.

You pays your money.....  ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 10:56 AM, Ridaz said:

If the US Dollar is 4.2x your local currency, I'd suggest buying CMBN since it has 4.2x the content of all the other titles. ;)

Or, just buy whichever one most interests you...knowing full well that you'll end up buying them all.

7 minutes ago, c3k said:

...knowing full well that you'll end up buying them all.

Yup.  :mellow:

10 minutes ago, Ridaz said:

What about teh battle pack? For a "pack" it seem to have quite alot of stuff almost like an expansion IMO

It has some great new scenarios & campaigns, but no new equipment.....I'm a hardware monkey, so that's what I look forward to most (T-80s, Terminator, Buratino & BMDs, please!  To name just a few, I really could go on & on & on & on.....).  :P

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

I would advise buying CMBS now and CMSF later when it comes out ;-). The RED forces CM:BS are significantly more competent when compared with RED in CMSF. Engine 4.0 brings a lot of game improvements and of course scenario makers have also learned some new tricks after so many years!

Yeah I am gonna get BS but I dunno why I can't stop thinking about this game, its getting really annoying at this point. It's like battlefront bewitch me or something. I printed the BS manual today in preparation 

If the US Dollar is 4.2x your local currency, I'd suggest buying CMBN since it has 4.2x the content of all the other titles. ;)

Or, just buy whichever one most interests you...knowing full well that you'll end up buying them all.

I would love to get the value pack but in my currency that totals up to RM 430

2 hours ago, Ridaz said:

Yeah I am gonna get BS but I dunno why I can't stop thinking about this game, its getting really annoying at this point. It's like battlefront bewitch me or something. I printed the BS manual today in preparation 

I would love to get the value pack but in my currency that totals up to RM 430

Judging by a lot of the questions that pop up here - you've done more than many people who already own the game and have set yourself up for success. I wish you many years of happy gaming.

ikr I have already ranked which game in the Cmx2 series I'll be getting. It's not that I can't afford it but I am just not use to paying such a high amount for a single game, I too use to buying third world prices on Steam during sales. For example, GG war in the east only coast me RM40 on Steam right now during sale which is less than 10USD 

43 minutes ago, Ridaz said:

ikr I have already ranked which game in the Cmx2 series I'll be getting. It's not that I can't afford it but I am just not use to paying such a high amount for a single game, I too use to buying third world prices on Steam during sales. For example, GG war in the east only coast me RM40 on Steam right now during sale which is less than 10USD 

Well it is all subjective taste.  I have GG war in the east and I have easily played every single CM title far more often. Nothing wrong with that game but trying to find a small scenario to try out is a lot more difficult and it is all 2D as well. It is essentially a board game utilizing a computer. Fun, but it is what is. Youll never get that “wow” moment that seems to be a recurring phenomena in CM.  

Guys I just read a review on FI and I noticed he mentioned that the AI in QB is almost broken since it requires a a custom plan for it and it often choose really imba company. Is this still a problem?

However, the AI is not very flexible in this system. It tends to pick large formations at random, with little regard for the terrain or expected mission objectives. It isn't uncommon to see the AI choose an entire company of anti-tank guns or heavy machine guns with no support. Why? Because the formations are organized how they would appear on paper, not how they actually deployed for battle, but the AI isn't programmed to handle this. If you let the AI choose the units for both sides, get ready for five Tiger tanks versus thirty scout cars, and other such nonsensical scenarios. 

He also comments on the stratergic side of the AI

So what you get is the AI moving units blindly along paths with no regard for whether they are tanks or infantry or a mortar platoon. They also have no regard for the objectives of the battle. In some cases it's entirely possible to avoid an enemy force, let it stroll on by, then go capture the objectives it has passed. The AI will never turn around and come back, it will simply go to the end of its route and wait there patiently until the end of time. 

The rest of the review is really positive though

Link: http://www.awargamersneedfulthings.co.uk/2017/11/combat-mission-fortress-italy.html

Pretty positive that the AI comments at least were based on an early iteration of the game, with AI triggers it is entirely possible for enemy units to turn around and come looking for you.

No idea about the QB thing, I don't do QBs.

1 hour ago, IanL said:

Canned requires only a canopener and a spoon. :D

Spoon?  :unsure:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

AI force selection in QB is still "broken" as described but you can select its roster instead. And by "broken" people mean that it would select a standard preset structure from the list with all points it can regardless of your own force selection.

Again it's not a problem since you can select AI roster yourself for a lot more interesting challenge.

I only wish there was an option to set the amount of purchase points (instead of an abstract force size) and save QB presets

Edited by kraze

25 minutes ago, kraze said:

AI force selection in QB is still "broken" as described but you can select its roster instead. And by "broken" people mean that it would select a standard preset structure from the list with all points it can regardless of your own force selection.

Again it's not a problem since you can select AI roster yourself for a lot more interesting challenge.

I only wish there was an option to set the amount of purchase points (instead of an abstract force size) and save QB presets

Yeah I can deal with that even though it will take away the surprise of what I'll be facing.

What about the AI strategy, how does it work in QB? Will they walk pass me if I just go around them like the author said? 

AI in CM games works much the same as they do in games like DCS or ArmA. A simplified explanation would be that they have a set of waypoints and goals they have to reach and they would do just that. So they won't suddenly adjust the major plan to your actions (unless scripted in triggers but no triggers in QB)

However along the way they still have a microAI working which will react to immediate issues - that would cause them to stop, retreat, take cover or take a detour.

A well scripted mission can be very challenging and unpredictable. And there are enough of those in base games and from this community. QB however is more like a skirmish in more common RTS like Men of War but still fun

58 minutes ago, kraze said:

AI in CM games works much the same as they do in games like DCS or ArmA. A simplified explanation would be that they have a set of waypoints and goals they have to reach and they would do just that. So they won't suddenly adjust the major plan to your actions (unless scripted in triggers but no triggers in QB)

However along the way they still have a microAI working which will react to immediate issues - that would cause them to stop, retreat, take cover or take a detour.

A well scripted mission can be very challenging and unpredictable. And there are enough of those in base games and from this community. QB however is more like a skirmish in more common RTS like Men of War but still fun

Thanks for the clarification. Now I think I understand better. BTW what do u of CM when compared to men of war? I just played men of war after my first 3 hr WE/GO game of black sea which I won and got 200 point but totally lost all my men and tanks in men of war in multiplayer and I can't figure out why. That game is brutal and unfair at times