Naughty or nice... here's some bones!

1 hour ago, Sequoia said:

Well the bridge got blown by an IED but Mord referred to that right away. Is that what you mean?

Yep, the nice point of that is CMSF becomes the first title where you can blow up a bridge in your opponents face, but you don’t control when it gets blown.  Your opponent has a say in that and can potentially eliminate the trigger man or otherwise render them incapable of acting. There is also a chance the IED will fail. It is kind of cool being a nice compromise that keeps the bridge in play. 

A cool feature...:)

But maybe there will need to be some kind of limitation when it comes to H2H QBs as to how many 'bridge blowing' units one side can buy (afford)...

If the defending side will be able to buy a significant number of such units they might be able to render entire maps inpassable simply by blowing up the bridges.

Not ideal ! as we have no way of reparing-/creating new crossing Points...

And now the inevitable question. Will/should bridge blowing be extended to other Families?

1 hour ago, RepsolCBR said:

A cool feature...:)

But maybe there will need to be some kind of limitation when it comes to H2H QBs as to how many 'bridge blowing' units one side can buy (afford)...

If the defending side will be able to buy a significant number of such units they might be able to render entire maps inpassable simply by blowing up the bridges.

Not ideal ! as we have no way of reparing-/creating new crossing Points...

Being able to blow up bridges is not a new feature. You can destroy bridges with artillery and air strikes in all CM titles that have bridges in them. You can also destroy them with direct fire from tanks and IFVs, but anything larger than a wooden footbridge would take a very long time to destroy via tank. 

Being able to destroy bridges with IEDs gives the player some more direct control over destroying the bridge with hand placed explosives (controlled detonation) but its really nothing new. I don't think this'll impact gameplay any more than IEDs have in the past. Plus, remember that CMSF2 will have amphibious vehicles available, and both the Syrians and NATO forces have amphibious capable vehicles, so there are ways to mitigate a destroyed bridge. 

11 minutes ago, IICptMillerII said:

I don't think this'll impact gameplay any more than IEDs have in the past. Plus, remember that CMSF2 will have amphibious vehicles available, and both the Syrians and NATO forces have amphibious capable vehicles, so there are ways to mitigate a destroyed bridge. 

true...

But my MAIN concern with this applies more to the WW2 titles if this 'demo team' capability  is copied to those games...

17 minutes ago, IanL said:

It is not a demo team. It is an IED. So, any title that would get IEDs would mean they could be used this way. I do not think that any WW2 titles need IEDs.

Understood, but would it be a desirable feature for other families to get "bridge demo capability" is my and I think RepsolCBR's question.

Another question: since ground to air is now simulated in CMSF2 thanks to engine number 4, did you include more AAA units in TO&E for US, British and NATO forces? I am thinking of Manpads in particular.

This could apply to Syrians also but they do have ZSUs already. Uncons could also have some Strelas.

Understood, but would it be a desirable feature for other families to get "bridge demo capability" is my and I think RepsolCBR's question.

I think BF has been consistent on this one that they see no real desire to include.  To Ian’s point this is a very specific feature in CMSF and one that was a constant in combat. It is a side effect to be used on a bridge.  Bridge demolition in WW2 at this level was relatively rare so I wouldn’t look for this anytime soon if at all. 

2 hours ago, Sequoia said:
2 hours ago, IanL said:

It is not a demo team. It is an IED. So, any title that would get IEDs would mean they could be used this way. I do not think that any WW2 titles need IEDs.

I think @sburke has covered it. It is a feature that some desire but that BFC have consistently said "no" to. For good game play / design reasons.

4 hours ago, Sequoia said:

My vote would be for its inclusion, but with limitations. First of all the bridge would have to be in the possession of the defending side at the start of the game. Secondly, there should be some chance that the bridge would fail to blow, which probability could be set by the scenario designer. Finally, there should be some chance that the charge could be disarmed by the attacking player with the probability variable depending on various factors such as: is the unit attempting to disarm it engineer or ordinary troops; what is its present level of experience, morale, and health; is the disarming unit under fire?

Now, whether BFC ordains that the work involved in programming all that is worthwhile is their call to make, but surely it is possible to do.

Michael

1 hour ago, Michael Emrys said:

Now, whether BFC ordains that the work involved in programming all that is worthwhile is their call to make, but surely it is possible to do.

Certainly. What you described though is a bunch of work for sure and I think the value would be very low. But that's just one opinion :D

2 hours ago, IanL said:

Certainly. What you described though is a bunch of work for sure and I think the value would be very low. But that's just one opinion :D

Considering the work required is no different than it was last year I don’t think anything said so far is gonna alter BF’s opinion but hey one never knows. Get Steve a few good Trappist ales and maybe he’ll change his mind. 

2 hours ago, IanL said:

Understood. It is also my opinion that it is something that would not get used very frequently. But how many other things are in the game that don't get used a lot by most players? I haven't done a survey and don't intend to, but I suspect that there are already a number of items that seldom get picked up by anybody. But for the sake of completeness, there are quite a few that might be nominated. Which ones do or don't make the cut is, as we seem to agree, BFC's call.

Michael

There's been updates on the status of other stuff, but yeah... kinda buried in some threads. Sounds like I should put together something to talk about 2018's lineup.  And there's a perfect day for that coming up very soon ;)

Steve

On 12/28/2017 at 1:49 AM, Aragorn2002 said:

Would that be New Year's Day perhaps?

I hope you're right!

Edited by Sequoia

19 hours ago, MikeyD said:

Bumping this again for the benefit of late arrivals.

Mikey, any updates on whether or not your Africa Mod will work with CMSF 2?   Have you considered doing an Iran vs. Iraq Mod?   Some interesting scenarios can be created with the Red Forces in CMSF 2.

I assume CMSF2 will happen during same era as the original CMSF, about 10 years ago.

If there will be a new CM game one day where events happen in future (like 2020 or 2025) and weapons and equpment are what is planned to be available then, I believe air force will be much more important role than in CMSF or Black Sea. Missiles launched from helicopters, aircraft and drones have improved a lot on this century and some can be launched as salvos so a fighter place could destroy several tanks or vehicles during one attack.

Brimstone missile salvo against sea targets

Brimstone against ground targets, salvo at 1:15