Naughty or nice... here's some bones!

14 minutes ago, 76mm said:

Thanks for the comments, but I doubt I'll buy this one, because I bought the original and could not get through a scenario.  Just wasn't interested, don't know why.  I served in an armor unit during Desert Storm, so I thought I would find it interesting, but I don't...  Not criticizing the game, just probably not something that I will pull the trigger on, although who knows, I've changed my mind before...

Hey not every title is for everyone.  CMRT is one that doesn’t hit a real sweet spot for me. Uh oh seems there is a crowd forming outside with pitchforks and torches. Hmmm

anyway one upside is CMSF2 is a complete package. Theoretically it won’t be competing for time once released. 

On 26-12-2017 at 3:22 AM, Battlefront.com said:

There's been updates on the status of other stuff, but yeah... kinda buried in some threads. Sounds like I should put together something to talk about 2018's lineup.  And there's a perfect day for that coming up very soon ;)

Steve

Would that be New Year's Day perhaps?

What i really would like to know are not infos like game will be in engine 4.0 and then copy taste what all engine 4.0 can do... This we allready know!

Will be there in CMSF2 Russian Forces with all toys to play including planes?

Will Syrians have UAV and planes?

Can we have something like counter battery fire?

ISIL forces will be on US Side when choosing forces?

Modules stay modules or they will be included from beginning? 

I am sure others will have more questions to follow...

Edited by Marwek77 aka Red Reporter

1 minute ago, Marwek77 aka Red Reporter said:

What i really would like to know are not infos like game will be in engine 4.0 and then copy taste what all engine 4.0 can do... This we allready know!

These questions have been answered. Either you didn't read or chose not to read. Nice bait with ISIL being on the US's side, by the by. 

16 minutes ago, Marwek77 aka Red Reporter said:

If anyone ever wonders why there aren't more bones, here is the reason. 

No good deed goes unpunished, especially on the internet. 

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I think the comments regarding UAVs are fair enough, as I recall Steve said it was a coin toss decision in the original title, but the coin fell the wrong way historically speaking.....

Welllllllll... not quite ;) For the time period of the game's setting the UAVs were still pretty uncommon.  More or less Brigade level asset at the time.  That changed very soon after, though.  So technically I think we made the correct call given how much effort was needed to support UAVs.  The pre-battle intel option adequately covered all forms of higher level intel such as UAVs, fixed and rotar wing recon, Human intel, etc.  Meaning, the intel gathering from UAVs was as out of hand of the player as other intel gathering sources.  Again, that changed dramatically and quickly after the 2007/2008 time period we were aiming for.

Surely it's worth some serious consideration at the very least? 

Absolutely :)

Steve

Cheers for the clarification Steve.....I'm surely not demanding anything, but it would be a nice touch and it would set off that ZSU-23 and all the SPAAGnicals very nicely!   ;)

PS - Based on recent experience, I suspect the war might have gone on long after 2007/2008.....2023/2024 wouldn't be an unreasonable endpoint based on what we've learnt since!  :P

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

44 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Cheers for the clarification Steve.....I'm surely not demanding anything, but it would be a nice touch and it would set off that ZSU-23 and all the SPAAGnicals very nicely!   ;)

Indeed!

44 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

PS - Based on recent experience, I suspect the war might have gone on long after 2007/2008.....2023/2024 wouldn't be an unreasonable endpoint based on what we've learnt since!  :P

Heh.  Well, the setting for CMSF was similar to the reality of the war in Iraq in that there was a quick mostly conventional military campaign followed by an extremely long unconventional (asymmetrical) conflict that ebbed and flowed as well as evolved and reset many times over.  We decided to focus on only the first bit of mostly conventional warfare and not get into the stuff that follows as it's really a different kettle of fish.  That said, we are aware that CMSF can extend beyond our intended confines even without us explicitly supporting it.  And that's a good thing ;)

5 minutes ago, DougPhresh said:

Will units rout to map edges or surrender? I always forget if that is game-to-game or an engine change?

That's engine specific.  Honestly, I don't remember how it worked for CMSF.  For all I know it behaved very differently.  In a sense CMSF1 uses Game Engine 0.75, with CMBN's first release being Game Engine 1.0.  There's tons of big as well as small differences and I've frankly lost track of many of them.

Steve

IIRC CMSF supposes a united non-Assad led Syria, which is a "perfect-storm" political situation created only to allow a game where the Syrian Army can put up the best fight possible against the NATO invasion. Everyone now knows of course Syria is and was far from united. I don't know enough about Syrian politics and don't want to turn this thread into a discussion of such but I wonder if a united Syria was at all possible in the scenario presented where it is Syria that provokes the West with some dirty bombs. 

Really appreciate your comments Steve.....You have my full confidence (& I've already offered you my money)!  ;)

PS - I always wondered why you don't open the dating options in the editor up a bit (scenario designer override sort of thing), all the other games seem a bit limited in duration when compared to the fourteen years on offer in CM:A.  :o

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

38 minutes ago, Sequoia said:

IIRC CMSF supposes a united non-Assad led Syria, which is a "perfect-storm" political situation created only to allow a game where the Syrian Army can put up the best fight possible against the NATO invasion.

You recall incorrectly. :) Assad is assumed to be in charge of the country during the game's time frame.

Really appreciate your comments Steve.....You have my full confidence (& I've already offered you my money)!  ;)

:D

PS - I always wondered why you don't open the dating options in the editor up a bit (scenario designer override sort of thing), all the other games seem a bit limited in duration when compared to the fourteen years on offer in CM:A.  :o

The problem with opening up the timeframe is that it changes the nature of the forces involved.  If we don't cater the forces to the timeframe we shouldn't open the timeframe.  It's made even worse by the fact that development of the forces, especially NATO, doesn't sit still.  With a narrow historical timeframe we can make very specific decisions and be done with it.

Steve

14 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

The problem with opening up the timeframe is that it changes the nature of the forces involved.  If we don't cater the forces to the timeframe we shouldn't open the timeframe.  It's made even worse by the fact that development of the forces, especially NATO, doesn't sit still.  With a narrow historical timeframe we can make very specific decisions and be done with it.

Makes sense.

Michael

On 26/12/2017 at 1:53 PM, IanL said:

Hee, hee. I have a few jobs I could use some help with too. 

Funny we testers did not discuss a pool to see how long it would take for someone to be a total d***. 

We did talk about a pool to see how long it would take before someone noticed a surprise in the pics / video. Hint, I might have distracted people from the suprise part.

I have two hypothesis. First one is in the first picture. Tank crew is off its tank to inspect the area. The tank is the foreground is intriging me.

5a47902d9d99f_CMRedThunder2017-12-3014-09-05-54.thumb.jpg.6fe1a8452c2dc0a6b8dfefcfcc113920.jpgFor all those Ostfront-veterans who are awaiting the first snow: remember the excellent Winter Mod made by Kohlenklau, BarbaricCo, Kevinkin and others. It will do nicely until the real thing arrives.  Or until Steve will throw us some icy bones...

CM Red Thunder 2017-12-30 13-50-01-81.jpg

CM Red Thunder 2017-12-30 13-48-51-26.jpg

Edited by Aragorn2002

15 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

Welllllllll... not quite ;) For the time period of the game's setting the UAVs were still pretty uncommon.  More or less Brigade level asset at the time.  That changed very soon after, though.  So technically I think we made the correct call given how much effort was needed to support UAVs.  The pre-battle intel option adequately covered all forms of higher level intel such as UAVs, fixed and rotar wing recon, Human intel, etc.  Meaning, the intel gathering from UAVs was as out of hand of the player as other intel gathering sources.  Again, that changed dramatically and quickly after the 2007/2008 time period we were aiming for.

Absolutely :)

Steve

In reading the army”s review of the battle for Sadr city 2008 they discuss the assignment of some theater level assets to 3-4 BCT   2 predators and 2 shadows and how they nearly were beyond the capability of the BCT to make proper use of them.  

Dude, don't knock it.....It generated some really interesting discussion and nobody got hurt!  ;)

I can't express how much I'm looking forward to this title.....It's a long time since I was genuinely excited over a new game, but this one really has me itching for release day.  I had a lot of fun writing the Mosul stuff, but the limitations of the older engine forced a number of compromises that I was never completely happy with.  But with the new engine I can fix all of that and more, meaning there could be roughly double the amount going on in the scenario at any given point!  :o

So drones or no drones (I'd really prefer the former).....Bring it on!  B)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

On 12/26/2017 at 4:53 AM, IanL said:

Hee, hee. I have a few jobs I could use some help with too. 

Funny we testers did not discuss a pool to see how long it would take for someone to be a total d***. 

We did talk about a pool to see how long it would take before someone noticed a surprise in the pics / video. Hint, I might have distracted people from the suprise part.

Well the bridge got blown by an IED but Mord referred to that right away. Is that what you mean?