Naughty or nice... here's some bones!

Call us traditionalists, creatures of habit, or creatures of tradition (?)... it's time for a little something extra for the season!  This one comes to you in the form of a blob of text along with some images to update you on CMSF2's progress.  And without further ado, a blob of text (you should hear John Cleese when reading that):

Testing is going very well!  Things are proceeding at a good clip with all of the old content and artwork up and running for a while now.  Most recently the old TO&E, which is coded in a very out dated format, has been successfully updated to Engine 4 standards.  This allowed us to start the process of adding in support for things which you guys have probably all forgotten were not around for CMSF1, or even CMBN v1 for that matter. 

The two big things are Squads as HQs and Soldier models that are not inherently identical for an entire force.  Back in CMSF1 days the Syrian, German, and Dutch had their 1st Squads broken up into two Teams because the coding required a HQ be a Team.  Some negative gameplay stuff came along for the ride with that one.  Now the two artificially separated Teams are a single Squad.  Problem solved!

The Soldier model stuff is a pretty big deal to update.  Back in the old days a single soldier model existed for every member of every Team for a particular force (we had some hardcoded exceptions for Syrian Uncons).  The only differences were the weapons and skin textures.  CMSF2 will instead have the variety you've come to expect since Engine 2's shift towards Soldier individuality.

So there you have it.  A blob of text outlining some of the things to expect with CMSF2!  Oh, and on-map mortars.  There's that too :)

Now onto the pics!

2017 Bone 1.jpg

2017 Bone 2.jpg

2017 Bone 3.jpg

2017 Bone 4.jpg

2017 Bone 5.jpg

2017 Bone 6.jpg

2017 Bone 7.jpg2017 Bone 8.jpg

2017 Bone 9.jpg

2017 Bone 10.jpg

2017 Bone 11.jpg

2017 Bone 12.jpg

" And as he passed by the bunker and out of our zone
I chewed on the annual Christmas bone. "

SEE? I told you guys! I knew Santa Steve was real!

ON MAP MORTARS!

I see the new stream terrain. And the light/heavy? forest tile looks a bit like ferns (last pic). And the AAVs (and LAV) crossing the river are badass!

Thanks very much.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

1 hour ago, Mord said:

Is that new? I didn't know bridges could be destroyed in game.

No, the ability to destroy bridges is not new. For example you can do it with artillery or direct gun fire. I just took out two bridges in a game I am playing now. It took a lot of 155 shells to pull off but it is totally doable.

2 hours ago, patrykd said:

What about new cmfi content? Any news?

We'll hopefully be wrapping things up in January.  More news at that time.

2 hours ago, stikkypixie said:

Is this mostly a remake of CMSF1 to the latest engine? Or are there also engine changes planned? Any way good to see the progress :)

It's all the original CMSF1 content (forces, art, scenarios, etc.) in the Engine 4 environment.  That means all Engine 4 game features, including QBs, are a part of CMSF2.  There's a lot of updating to the original CMSF1 stuff to make it work and look as it should, but we're not adding anything per se except the things which are fairly obvious (soldier models, QB maps, ground to air, on map mortars, bridges, water, etc.).

Steve

One thought that's been nagging on me - I knew the ZSUs would be able to fire at airpower when they announced CMSF2 and what it would entail; but NATO has no ADA assets in game and there's a few default scenarios where the Syrian airpower gets to make a rare appearance. That'll be interesting.

This all looks phenomenal. 

1 hour ago, Battlefront.com said:

We'll hopefully be wrapping things up [with the new CMFI module] in January.  More news at that time.

Yes!!! Awesome to hear. Christmas just got a whole lot brighter with this news. I think I've now played every single small-to-medium + fair-weather CMFI/Gustav Line scenario, and I can't wait to get my hands on some new ones. Especially given that these missions will (presumably) feature all those new version 4 AI plan enhancements.

I know it puts me in the minority -- probably significantly so, if relative number of CMFI forum posts is any indication -- but Fortress Italy is my favorite in the entire series. Not sure why... something about the environment / atmosphere / architecture / terrain. It just feels extra real somehow.

Merry Christmas everyone!

2 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

We'll hopefully be wrapping things up in January.  More news at that time.

It's all the original CMSF1 content (forces, art, scenarios, etc.) in the Engine 4 environment.  That means all Engine 4 game features, including QBs, are a part of CMSF2.  There's a lot of updating to the original CMSF1 stuff to make it work and look as it should, but we're not adding anything per se except the things which are fairly obvious (soldier models, QB maps, ground to air, on map mortars, bridges, water, etc.).

Steve

Thanks Steve. I was waiting for this module since its announcement (Xmas bone'15).

The new SF2 looks like awesome, great work!

Merry Christmas ;D

2 hours ago, Rinaldi said:

One thought that's been nagging on me - I knew the ZSUs would be able to fire at airpower when they announced CMSF2 and what it would entail; but NATO has no ADA assets in game and there's a few default scenarios where the Syrian airpower gets to make a rare appearance. That'll be interesting.

not for me, my air defense always seems to suck anyway  :(