CM2 on iMac27?

Good Day,

I recently switched from a PC to an iMac 27" 5K computer and am interested in re-acquiring my Combat Mission simulations (Final Blitzkrieg, Battle for Normandy, et al). I did read in one of the forums that trying to read the menu/info screens at the bottom of the simulation was difficult at high resolutions such as with 4K screens. Before I sink the money into re-purchasing the series, can anyone tell me if the text in the menus is going to be too small to read, or even a best guess based on a 4K screen? Thanks very much for the help.

Glenn

The font (and other UI elements) do not scale so text will be smaller.

I play at 1080p on a 20 inch monitor and I am 50 and can read the screen easily. If you are playing at 2160p on a 27 inch monitor (assuming 16:9 like mine) the text will be 2/3 the size. I think that would be a bit small but probably manageable.

I have 30" at 2560x1600 and I have to reduce resolution to read any in-game text - even reading the UI gets tough.  It's the main reason why haven't yet bought UHD/4G monitor.  (Obviously would be great for other games.)

Hopefully, scalability will be a priority for CM3 and one of the many reasons I hope BF starts working towards that asap.

Ahh, that's too bad (for me). My display is 5120 x 2880. My guess is if you're having problems reading the UI at 2160, mine will be unreadable (and I'm quite a bit older than 50 ;)). I'll keep watch off and on to see if this CM is updated at some point, but for now I'm probably out of the running. Appreciate the feedback folks. Thanks very much.

You can always (And should) downscale your resolution when playing games. Unless you have a GTX Titan V, gaming on 5k is a couple years away.

I would purchase CM, and downscale resolution every time you want to play. The experience is worth the expense. 

Edited by Artkin

Thanks for this. I'm just checking with a friend of mine who's an Apple expert and also a photographer as I am. I need to be sure that switching resolutions isn't going to affect the profile, as I think it will (our displays are profiled a particular way). If it doesn't, or it's easy to reset upon restoring the native resolution, then no sweat. However, this is a "working" computer so the graphics considerations (as in photo-graphics) has to come first. I'm checking it out though and will come back once I know. Much appreciated - thanks :).

OK, all looks good. Last question then - does the download come in a .dmg format? I gather this game is a native Mac version, correct? Also, do you know if it will run with High Sierra (not upgraded yet, but very soon now)?

OK, that's three questions. Like my brother once told me - there are three kinds of people in this world. Those who can count, and those who can't :D.

Many thanks again for all the help. Much appreciated.

Edited by gdbf17

Yes, the download is a .dmg file (I’m a Mac user too). It is a native MacOS format. Battlefront’s owner is a Mac User. ;) 

Like you, I’m not on High Sierra, just Sierra at the moment. But I know some beta testers are on High Sierra, without issues. 

You should be able to change display profiles, as far as I know, without trouble. Custom profiles are, to my knowledge, selectable with a simple drop down menu. At least, that’s how it is on my Macbookpro. I’m a photographer too so my calibrated display has its own custom profile that I can change at will. :)

Now if you have the CM games for PC, but kept them current, I believe v4.0 has a .exe and a .dmg installer (in other words, today’s installers are available for both PC and Mac).

I don’t want to give false hopes, but before you spend money, I’d recommend contacting help desk, explaining your situation (going from PC to Mac) and ask if repurchase is required. You have nothing to lose. 

Here is a link: 

Helpdesk

Edited by Bud Backer

Thanks for this Bud. Yep, I was able to change resolution without losing the profile, but as you said, it's easy to change it back if need be. I come from a PC background and have had some serious issues with changing resolutions and profiles in the past but the Mac's seem to be a bit easier to work with in that respect.

Thanks too for the tip on checking about switching the games. I had all the CM2 games and they were current. I think I've seen a post somewhere that suggested you had to re-purchase them if you switched to a different platform, and that's ok if that's the case. They've put a LOT of work into these games so I don't mind supporting that, but yes, I will check with them just in case. I don't still have the PC games as the PC is now 'toast' so a new installer only won't help, if that's the solution. Anyway, we'll see what they say. Appreciate the link.

OK, thanks again. I'll let you know how it goes :) .

Glenn

PS - Bud, I see you're from Ontario. Ditto - north of Guelph, FYI

Edited by gdbf17

Glenn,

If you have version 4.0 for any of the CM games, you should be able to go into your Battlefront.com account, and download the all-in-one .dmg installer for the game you wish to install. That is my understanding. I expect Helpdesk will confirm that. Then you’d need to run the install file, then enter the licence keys for each module in the game to complete activation. So the loss of the PC should not have any impact - at least in terms of installing CM. :)

If I’m wrong on this I’m pretty certain Helpdesk will find a way to make it work for you. They’ve been superb every time if dealt with them. 

How nice, another member from Ontario. There are quite a few Canadians on this forum, and a lot of those are from Ontario. I actually live not far from another member, @IanL so we play by email and get together to chat about our battles. 

Welcome to the forum, by the way. 

Also, check your messages here in the forum. ;)

Hey Bud, thanks for this. I have checked the messages and will reply ASAP. 

Unfortunately one of the reasons for ditching the PC was a total HD crash, and everything went with it. Like a ninny, I did back up everything, but on the same drive (duhhhh). Anyway, as I say, it won't be the worst thing if I need to replace the set (hey, it's Christmas :D ). They have a great package deal on right now so if I can get in on that, I should be good to go. Haven't heard from the Helpdesk yet, but I only submitted late last night, so it's way too early to expect a reply. I agree with you on how good they are though. I have talked to them once before and their customer support is outstanding. 

Thanks Bud, check your messages when you get a minute :) . 

Glenn

FYI, I have heard back from the Helpdesk and these guys are the BEST! When they aren't working on BF games, they should be giving courses to others on how to run a customer support service. 

They have given me as much help as they possibly can, and there might have been a way to get my info back, but there are too many missing pieces at my end (and that's all on me, not BF!). They are still trying to work something out, but in all fairness, I've decided I will will simply re-purchase the games. The bundle package is not expensive (especially considering how much work they've put into these games), and that encompasses most of the games I want. The others I'll pick up as well separately. 

So thanks to BF's support and for the help here. I'll be back once they games are on :) .

Glenn

8 hours ago, gdbf17 said:

FYI, I have heard back from the Helpdesk and these guys are the BEST! When they aren't working on BF games, they should be giving courses to others on how to run a customer support service. 

Hear hear - I've always found BF's helpdesk support to be excellent.

Well, BF has found my old account, etc. so I should be good to go. However, when I try to log into my account, whether it be using FF or Safari, I get the message that "Cookies must be enabled". I have exited BF and gone through the process of clearing the history, cache, cookies, etc., rebooted the browsers and tried again. However, I'm still getting the same message. I've done this routine 3 or 4 times. I went to FF's site and found the help section on what to do if this message pops up and followed it to the letter, but it's not helped. The strange thing is, I don't have any problems logging in to the forum. Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Glenn

Update:  Safari is working for me so I'm good to go, but if anyone knows of a solution to FF's issue, please let me know here. Many thanks, especially to Steve :).

Edited by gdbf17

Thanks Bud (was out shooting this morning - spectacular ice fog followed by a snowfall!). Only real question now is will I need to D/L each version of the game with the updates and go through the update process, or do I just need the last version of each game? I'd like to be able to just D/L the latest (Engine 4) version of each if possible, but I don't know if the patches are the full game or just updates. I've asked Steve but he may be away now on holidays (can't blame him for that ;)). If anyone knows, that will help greatly.

Glenn

The current installers are for sure, but I'm wondering about my original orders, which is what I'm trying to access. It shows all the versions I bought, most of which were the original versions followed by the patches. I'm noticing too that my original orders have the suffix "(windows)" after them, so one might expect that I'd simply be re-downloading the Windows only version. I'm going to try it anyway and see what happens. It would be great if there was a way to simply D/L the current, full package installers only, but I think I'd have to go through the purchase process to do that. Also, even if I could do that, I'm not sure my licenses would be valid for the latest installers.

Glenn

Update - yes, it's the Windows file that downloads from my old account. I need somehow to access the .dmg file, but I'm not sure how to do that.

Edited by gdbf17

Agreed, and no worries Ian. I think I'll look again at simply re-purchasing the games, or at least the main ones I'm after. I hate being a PITA, especially when my problem is absolutely no fault of BF. They've been really great with me, so I don't feel hard done by in buying them again. There's certainly no question their games are worth the money. I'll sit it out for another day just in case. 

Late seeing this but CM runs just fine on High Sierra, on my MacBook Pro. That includes changing resolutions for various reasons (my laptop is used for scientific computing research also). And mine gets stressed pretty well with Beta testing.

Good luck. It would be fun on a big screen like that.

No worries Dave, and thanks for this. Hey, since you are on a Mac as well, I've got a question about the installation. I now have Final Blitzkrieg. I was home briefly today (back out again shortly) and thought I'd install it. However, the file went to my Downloads folder as per usual. When I went to run it, it said the installer had to be in the Combat Mission folder under Applications before it could properly install, and to move it there if it wasn't already there. Now, I don't have a Combat Mission folder as this is the only game I've got so far. So do you move the installer to the Applications folder and run it from there, or do you manually make a Combat Mission folder under Applications and then move the installer to there, and then run it? I'm a bit confused on this.

Thanks for the help Dave.

Glenn