A Video Worth Watching

Howdy,

Just wanted to post a heads up on a great AAR going on over at Usually Hapless YouTube channel. He is playing against General Sir Anthony, two very accomplished players in a PBEM turn by turn video. If you have not had the chance to watch this (thumbs up) I would highly recommend it. For a novice like myself this is like a classroom exercise on how to play this game, for more experienced player it has much to offer in suspense and just plan old entertainment. Being a minute by minute posting there is a lot of technique and strategy that is explained in each video. A great credit to both the players and the game. When finished this should become a required viewing for anyone interested in learning how this game works with all of its rich and varied game play features.

I will stop now as this is beginning to sound like a fanboy ranting. :rolleyes: Go see for yourself. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRPeh86LD2s

Interesting to see how he organizes his troops. 

But, am curious.  When did he and many in UK start pronouncing "H" as "Haitch" (instead of "Aitch")?  

When I wuz at school in "Angleterre" people laughed at anyone who pronounced it that way as they were obviously ignorant poorly educated working class pond scum.  But, now one hears the "Haitch" quite commonly.  What happened?

Edited by Erwin

nice game play videos , i admire the skill of his handling the units.  A minor pet peeve of mine, not related to game play; The German panzer commanders always wear  a "barracks cover"  rather than a garrison cap or  panzer beret. Just a minor annoyance.

Edited by J Bennett

In the UK and Australia better-educated (or snobby) folk pronounce it 'aitch', and the less-educated say 'haitch'. Online research suggests the divide goes back centuries, and the only reason 'aitch' is considered correct is that posh people use it. 

Regarding the Stavelot AAR: It's interesting from a technical POV, but personally I prefer AARs that consist mostly of close-up action. Combat Mission can be a beautiful-looking game, and it pains me to see AARs in which coloured objective  squares and landmark names are left on. Some of the best video AARs are done by Josey Whales. To me, the game's great strength is the ability to follow multi-unit strategy as well as the 'adventures' of individual soldiers and vehicles. And the only way to properly appreciate both aspects is to use WEGO, so you can go back and immerse yourself in interesting incidents on a micro scale!

I think the Hapless Stavelot AAR's do a nice job of showing Combat Mission game mechanics and processes.  While I like his Air Support, Indirect Fires, and Armor parts, I do not think he shows effective infantry tactics.  His whole approach to securing his right flank was too lackadaisical for my tastes.  I suppose that helps show how overwhelming this game can be in Huge battles at Battalion level.  However, I think its a mistake for any player to underestimate or neglect the importance of closely managing your infantry in taking and holding ground or using it to deny ground to the enemy.  

Call me "Posh" (or any other "P" word which suits you :ph34r:), but I agree with the comment which observed that it is unfortunate when the number of expletives constantly exceeds the number of casualties.  Hapless's AAR shows a lot of time and effort.  Kudos for that.  I just wish it were more suitable for a younger and general audience.  The Josey Wales vid's are exceptional.

16 hours ago, Anson Pelmet said:

To me, the game's great strength is the ability to follow multi-unit strategy as well as the 'adventures' of individual soldiers and vehicles. And the only way to properly appreciate both aspects is to use WEGO, so you can go back and immerse yourself in interesting incidents on a micro scale!

Yes. This.  

9 minutes ago, Badger73 said:

Hapless's AAR shows a lot of time and effort.  Kudos for that.  <Snip>  The Josey Wales vid's are exceptional.

Yep, I am subscribed to both of these.  If you like those two you may also like Panzer Pajamas.  Very cool u-tube videos.

19 hours ago, Badger73 said:

Call me "Posh" (or any other "P" word which suits you :ph34r:), but I agree with the comment which observed that it is unfortunate when the number of expletives constantly exceeds the number of casualties. 

You can't be "posh", that was my comment. And I was born on crummy Council Estate, (or Housing Project, as I think they are called on your side of the pond).

I wouldn't want to put other people off of this series, and I will stick with til the end. But for me, it makes for far less enjoyable viewing compared to his "Road to Wiltz" videos.

On 12/23/2017 at 11:13 PM, Warts 'n' all said:

You can't be "posh", that was my comment. And I was born on crummy Council Estate, (or Housing Project, as I think they are called on your side of the pond).

I wouldn't want to put other people off of this series, and I will stick with til the end. But for me, it makes for far less enjoyable viewing compared to his "Road to Wiltz" videos.

Glad to see you're feeling better. You looked like death warmed over for a bit.

• 10 months later...

Necroed but on topic! (A video worth watching!)

Footage mainly of the Hürtgenwald, filmed by the US signal corps. The commentary is in German, but the footage should be interesting on its own for you grognards! The production was an extra-material to a german documentary on the battle ("You enter Germany").

On 10/30/2018 at 1:34 AM, Kaunitz said:

Necroed but on topic! (A video worth watching!)

Footage mainly of the Hürtgenwald, filmed by the US signal corps. The commentary is in German, but the footage should be interesting on its own for you grognards! The production was an extra-material to a german documentary on the battle ("You enter Germany").

thanks for sharing. Didn´t know this one yet. I´ve made and published a scenario of the same name roughly when the YT vids were published. Interesting to see in Vid #1 at 07:18 how much of an obstacle the rather not so strong pine trees were for medium tank like the M4 Sherman.

On 11/2/2018 at 11:43 PM, RockinHarry said:

Interesting to see in Vid #1 at 07:18 how much of an obstacle the rather not so strong pine trees were for medium tank like the M4 Sherman.

That's a pretty thick tree though. And the tank did not have much momentum. Smooth tracks too, not much traction.

I think another conclusion could be that it's interesting that they seemed to expect there was a chance to break through the tree. I guess in some cases they could.

16 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

That's a pretty thick tree though. And the tank did not have much momentum. Smooth tracks too, not much traction.

I think another conclusion could be that it's interesting that they seemed to expect there was a chance to break through the tree. I guess in some cases they could.

I wonder they even attempted. Common procedure more likely was what is seen as well... getting the path clear with a little help from the engineers. I read somewhere Panther or Tiger tanks were able to push down trees with 50-60cm diameter at max, but I doubt this was attempted oftenly in the field. Even when pushed down you can still belly up and a (german) tank commander could likely expect to look into some his superiors barrel of a Luger when it happened. :P

7 hours ago, RockinHarry said:
23 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

I wonder they even attempted. Common procedure more likely was what is seen as well... getting the path clear with a little help from the engineers. I read somewhere Panther or Tiger tanks were able to push down trees with 50-60cm diameter at max, but I doubt this was attempted oftenly in the field. Even when pushed down you can still belly up and a (german) tank commander could likely expect to look into some his superiors barrel of a Luger when it happened. :P

Or maybe the entire scene was staged for the camera to show audiences back home how difficult the conditions were? That would help explain both why they were running into the tree and also why they did it so slowly.

3 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

Or maybe the entire scene was staged for the camera to show audiences back home how difficult the conditions were? That would help explain both why they were running into the tree and also why they did it so slowly.

Hard to tell. I know from a source that particularly in the hurtgen forest the firebreaks were initially so heavily mined, that both the germans and US found it oftentimes going faster to break new tracks through the forest instead of clearing the mined ones.