New features curiosity

5 hours ago, Freyberg said:

I play a lot of these. It would be cool to be able to give some structure to a QB to make it more like a scenario. Being able to mix nationalities would be fun (for example I like the Italians, because they are interesting, but they don't put up a very good fight without some German support) - and it would be cool to be able direct parts of each force (randomly or non-randomly) to arrive as reinforcements.

Have an like for seconding that.

Another two wishes, imagine they are not outlandish ones, imagine that the reasons for wanting them are easy to discern also;

• Gun Team Admin Command

KafADM1.png

RBrXF4g.png

XJFtnMr.png

XWsWKvj.png

• Highlight Action Spots When Editing Movement Nodes
Edited by Oliver_88

6 hours ago, Oliver_88 said:

Have an like for seconding that.

Another two wishes, imagine they are not outlandish ones, imagine that the reasons for wanting them are easy to discern also;

• Gun Team Admin Command

I like this idea, especially if the squad leader and his binoculars stay with the gun team to spot for the MG.

1 hour ago, Bulletpoint said:

I like this idea, especially if the squad leader and his binoculars stay with the gun team to spot for the MG.

To be honest I would prefer the opposite. As from what I’ve read our sections were organised around an gun group (lance corporal, bren gunner, loader) and rifle group (corporal and remaining riflemen). So the soldiers assigned as in the images would make more sense for them. Besides in CMBN the rifle sections have no binoculars anyway. ;) Oh and also keeping the Corporal with the gun team would end up depriving the others of an SMG once up close assaulting an enemy position!

Maybe that would make sense for other nations like septics and germans etc, my knowledge on these other nations is rather poor.

Wonder whether the binoculars could be taken when detaching teams like ammunition and grenades are?

Edited by Oliver_88

13 hours ago, Freyberg said:

...it would be cool to be able direct parts of each force (randomly or non-randomly) to arrive as reinforcements.

I've wished for this a number of times. You can kind of fake it for your own side by parking part of your force on a part of the map where they can neither see or be seen by the other side and bringing them on at some point after the game is under way, but there is nothing you can do about introducing reinforcements for the other side in QBs.

Michael

1) The ability to know whether a certain area of bocage is truly passable, before hitting the big red button and getting your troops killed as they take the long way around, out into the open. The gaps that show up visibly in the bocage model / texture (especially for the low bocage, it seems) just are not a reliable enough way to predict the path the soldiers will ultimately take. Or at least give the player some way of telling the squad to stop before entering area XYZ and exposing themselves to enemy fire.

2) Similarly, the ability to know, before hitting the big red button, whether an area of street is passable for a certain vehicle type. To maintain realism (since, in real life, you sometimes wouldn't know if it's passable until you were there at the apparent obstacle), maybe the AI could just have the vehicle stop at the farthest place on its path it can go before it would otherwise turn around, backtrack, and take the long way. Another workaround might be having the vehicle path through narrow streets snap to the exact center, sorta like happens with bridges. (I've found this to be a big problem especially with CMFI, with all the little half-action-square side streets like with the wonderful Valmontone map.)

3) For infantry, a slight difference in icon size based on the number of troops in that team or squad, i.e. the icon for a two man scout team would be smaller than the icon for a full 12 man squad. At least for the highest overhead view. This would give a much better idea of actual troop density across the entire map.

4) When in veteran mode and above, the ability to declutter the enemy contact icons so that only confirmed contacts are displayed. Right now the icon options are all on, all off, or tentative contacts only. Confirmed contacts only is the only remaining possibility, and it would often be useful.

5) Sometimes the ability to see the plotted paths of your troops during playback would be useful. This could be another ALT hotkey option?

6) When a squad is split and one of its teams is selected, something indicating (with just a glance) where the other teams from that squad are located. 

There are several more that I'm sure I'll think of as soon as I hit the Submit button, but that list would be a pretty good start.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Edited by sttp

5 hours ago, sttp said:

3) For infantry, a slight difference in icon size based on the number of troops in that team or squad, i.e. the icon for a two man scout team would be smaller than the icon for a full 12 man squad. At least for the highest overhead view. This would give a much better idea of actual troop density across the entire map.

The thing is, the icons already change their size depending on the unit's distance from the camera. If your suggestion were implemented, it could get confusing.

Michael

29 minutes ago, Warts 'n' all said:

The stand alone battle "Back to the Waal" allows us to do just that, without the need to model the boats.

Yeah I think the actual boat crossing wouldn’t be that appealing to play.  Just getting shot at for an extended amount of time.  There is a reason it is considered an amazing feat. I think even C3k’s men would object. 

The ability to copy and paste pieces of maps into other cells. As it works now, if you want to move some feature(s) even one cell over you have to basically do the whole thing over. I'm convinced that this is part of the reason we don't see more user created maps and scenarios. I know I've been burned by this a few times, and it makes me just want to quit the editor altogether sometimes. (But who am I kidding... I usually pick it up again a few weeks later.)

Also, an "undo" button in the scenario editor.

Edited by sttp

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, ncc1701e said:

Ability to split a squad inside a vehicle or something like that. If I have a squad inside a Bradley, I would like to be able to disembark a scout team of two men without
exposing the entire squad to small arms firing.

+1  Often encounter similar issue.

5 hours ago, ncc1701e said:

Ability to split a squad inside a vehicle or something like that. If I have a squad inside a Bradley, I would like to be able to disembark a scout team of two men without
exposing the entire squad to small arms firing.

This would be nice.  Below is a workaround.

During the Setup phase I will often (always?) dismount squads from their vehicles and split them into teams.  B team stays with their vehicle.  A teams rotate one vehicle to the right.  If there is a C team it rotates one vehicle to the left.  Next the teams remount the vehicles they are now in front of.  So now you will have different teams from different squads in the same vehicle that can't recombine into a single squad.  Example: 1st Squad B Team and 3rd squad A Team and 2nd Squad C Team are in the same vehicle.   Next they Acquire ammo and AT weapons.  

Now after the game starts you can dismount just scouts or AT teams (C Team generally) or whatever the situation calls for and leave the other teams in the vehicles.    

10 hours ago, Chudacabra said:

I would really like to be able to adjust both forces in QB, not just the attacker.

There is actually a way to do that indirectly. If you want to increase the point allowance for the defender, just increase the size of the engagement at the beginning. Then you can use all those points or only some of them until you get the force size you want. And you can do the same with the attacker until you have the balance that you seek.

But I agree that it would be nice if you could simply set the point allowance directly as you pick forces.

Michael

So because everybody's have somes dreams there are mine...

*Possibility to have a level -1 (2) for cellar, bunker, underground, metro, tunel... not only level on the top but also down...

*Added a floating  icon for scouts detached from vanilla units differents that unit herself.

*Differents color for differents squads or differents caractere fonts.

*Also one floating Icon only for the Bat Com or Cie Com...

*My big wish will be one man one picture instead a group of 3 men represents 5 men for exemple...but i think in this case all the system have to be recreated...

*Using editor for both sides blue and red with same possibilities.

Edited by 3j2m7