DARKEST HOUR movie

Erwin

Saw this as it opened last night.  Brilliant film dealing with the weeks in May when Churchill took over the crisis.  Similar in intensity to DOWNFALL (Hitler in the bunker). 

Very good performances and emotional as one could feel the growing panic as British leaders started to fear total collapse and loss of entire army at Dunkirk.  Great speeches by Churchill of course as he attempts to rally the panicking leadership and deal with his own fears and doubts.  Highly recommended.

I should have mentioned that "Dunkirk" is also a brilliant movie.  Completely different in style to "Darkest Hour".  But "Darkest Hour" and "Dunkirk" are wonderful companion films that combined together make an xnt historical narrative of those desperate days in May 1940 when Britain stood alone on the precipice of annihilation - both movies executed in a very dramatic and emotionally charged manner.  Great filmmaking, informative and very entertaining.  Must sees.

If you can, see "Dunkirk" in IMAX.  It's definitely worth it.

If you've never seen it, check out "The Gathering Storm". I thought Albert Finney did a great job as Churchill.

I am glad you guys brought these up, they are both movies I want to see but forgot about. Gonna have to keep my eyes peeled.

Mord.

Much better than the recent "Churchill" in which Brian Cox portrayed Churchill as a bit of a doddering old man out of touch.  Mind you that was set around the time of D-Day, so not sure what Churchill was like by then.  He did shockingly lose the election in July 1945 so clearly was not as well loved by other Brits by then.

Will see if I can locate "Gathering Storm" - HBO I think.

Edited by Erwin

Yep, HBO. It's on HBO Go. There's a sequel too, "Into The Storm" with Brendan Gleeson but I didn't like that one as much. It's not a bad movie, just felt like Finney set the bar and the sequel didn't quite live up to it.

Mord.

18 hours ago, Erwin said:

He did shockingly lose the election in July 1945 so clearly was not as well loved by other Brits by then.

I don't think it was so much a matter of the British voters falling out of love with Churchill personally, after all, they returned him to Parliament in that election. They just felt that Labour would give them a better break. In other words, they had long since lost confidence in the Conservative party.

Michael

Am in US at present.  Played the UTube version in two parts last night.  Didn't realize it was quite such an old (2002) movie.  But as you said good performances and interesting to see Churchill at the end of his depressing "wilderness years".   Also to see the lovely young Lena Headey b4 "Game of Thrones" fame.

Interesting re how much C was hated by elements in the establishment who were trying to do him in for his non-politically correct speeches re Germany while he was popular amongst many "commoners" - couldn't help see the contemporary parallels with Trump. 

On December 11, 2017 at 7:55 AM, Erwin said:

Interesting re how much C was hated by elements in the establishment who were trying to do him in for his non-politically correct speeches re Germany while he was popular amongst many "commoners"

He sometimes gave them good reason to mistrust him. He was a genius who often behaved like an idiot, and the idea of him in charge of the country's fate gave many good men an ulcer. There are a host of biographies by good historians that bear that out. Particularly the ones by D'Este and Manchester. They aren't unsympathetic but they are honest and balanced enough to portray the man as a real witch's brew of a character. You might also want to check out what Alan Brooke had to say about him: in short, we couldn't have won the war without him, but he could have lost the war for us on a dozen occasions if we hadn't restrained him.

Michael

• 4 weeks later...