20 hours ago, Sequoia said:

Wow, Bundeswehr Panzertruppen collar patches are pink? Well there's a pun in there. I'm sure you'll get it if you think about it.

As also were the Panzerwaffenfarbe for the Wehrmacht, although I suspect they would have more likely called it "rose" instead of "pink" . . . B)

7 hours ago, Badger73 said:

As also were the Panzerwaffenfarbe for the Wehrmacht, although I suspect they would have more likely called it "rose" instead of "pink" . . . B)

Yes, you're spot on about the Wehrmacht insignia. And the German word for pink is Rosa. And in the meantime, I still can't find the pun.

• 1 month later...

Follow-up to this after some archive snooping:

• I found a authorized organization for 1. Ski-Jäger Brigade for December 1943 that explicitly gives each Ski-Jäger Company 1x Sturm-Zug equipped with "M-Pi. 43."  Seems that this official org was then exceeded by a large margin with the issue of 1480 MP43 in February 1944.
  • Authorized organizations for a Gebirgs-Division 45 and Jäger-Division 45 were issued in mid-April 1945, bringing these divisions to the same establishment of Sturm-Zug with Sturmgewehr 44 as the Infantry Division 45 (i.e. 2 Sturm-Zug w/ Sturmgewehr 44 for each Jäger and Aufklärung Company). However, the likelihood any unit converted to this new establishment before the end of the war is near zero.  That said, as noted in the previous post, some Gebirgs and Jäger divisions on the East Front received sufficient MP44/Sturmgewehr before this time to form at least 1 Sturm-Zug per Jäger company.
  • As with 2. Gebirgs-Division on the West Front, 6.SS Gebirgs-Division also shows zero Sturmgewehr 44 from January 1 - March 1945.