Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • Battlefront.com

      Special Upgrade 4 Tech Tips   12/27/2016

      Hi all! Now that Upgrade 4 is out and about in large quantities we have now discovered a few SNAFUs that happen out in the scary, real world that is home computing.  Fortunately the rate of problems is extremely small and so far most are easily worked around.  We've identified a few issues that have similar causes which we have clear instructions for work arounds here they are: 1.  CMRT Windows customers need to re-license their original key.  This is a result of improvements to the licensing system which CMBN, CMBS, and CMFB are already using.  To do this launch CMRT with the Upgrade and the first time enter your Engine 4 key.  Exit and then use the "Activate New Products" shortcut in your CMRT folder, then enter your Engine 3 license key.  That should do the trick. 2.  CMRT and CMBN MacOS customers have a similar situation as #2, however the "Activate New Products" is inside the Documents folder in their respective CM folders.  For CMBN you have to go through the process described above for each of your license keys.  There is no special order to follow. 3.  For CMBS and CMFB customers, you need to use the Activate New Products shortcut and enter your Upgrade 4 key.  If you launch the game and see a screen that says "LICENSE FAILURE: Base Game 4.0 is required." that is an indication you haven't yet gone through that procedure.  Provided you had a properly functioning copy before installing the Upgrade, that should be all you need to do.  If in the future you have to install from scratch on a new system you'll need to do the same procedure for both your original license key and your Upgrade 4.0 key. 4.  There's always a weird one and here it is.  A few Windows users are not getting "Activate New Products" shortcuts created during installation.  Apparently anti-virus software is preventing the installer from doing its job.  This might not be a problem right now, but it will prove to be an issue at some point in the future.  The solution is to create your own shortcut using the following steps: Disable your anti-virus software before you do anything. Go to your Desktop, right click on the Desktop itself, select NEW->SHORTCUT, use BROWSE to locate the CM EXE that you are trying to fix. The location is then written out. After it type in a single space and then paste this:

      -showui

      Click NEXT and give your new Shortcut a name (doesn't matter what). Confirm that and you're done. Double click on the new Shortcut and you should be prompted to license whatever it is you need to license. At this time we have not identified any issues that have not been worked around.  Let's hope it stays that way Steve
    • Battlefront.com

      Forum Reorganization   10/12/2017

      We've reorganized our Combat Mission Forums to reflect the fact that most of you are now running Engine 4 and that means you're all using the same basic code.  Because of that, there's no good reason to have the discussion about Combat Mission spread out over 5 separate sets of Forums.  There is now one General Discussion area with Tech Support and Scenario/Mod Tips sub forums.  The Family specific Tech Support Forums have been moved to a new CM2 Archives area and frozen in place. You might also notice we dropped the "x" from distinguishing between the first generation of CM games and the second.  The "x" was reluctantly adopted back in 2005 or so because at the time we had the original three CM games on European store shelves entitled CM1, CM2, and CM3 (CMBO, CMBB, and CMAK).  We didn't want to cause confusion so we added the "x".  Time has moved on and we have to, so the "x" is now gone from our public vocabulary as it has been from our private vocabulary for quite a while already.  Side note, Charles *NEVER* used the "x" so now we're all speaking the same language as him.  Which is important since he is the one programming them
Hister

Best PC games of all time by Rock Paper Shotgun - CM Barbarossa to Berlin got in

Recommended Posts

"Second-generation CM is prettier, more realistic and more flexible than Beyond Overlord, Barbarossa to Berlin, and Afrika Korps, but as it also tends to be fiddlier, more heavily scripted and less generous, some dinosaurs like Yours Truly still prefer the original trio..."

Nice that CM1 still gets a good rap even after all these years.  More an entertaining game than a simulation.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still enjoy them much more than the newer games. Just so many things to love. Map procgeneration, large toe, large scope, simpler control, and so many missions and campaigns. Plus more varied AI and simplistic units. Makes it feel like a tabletop game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I picked up CM2 early last year and have been having great time with all the WW2 titles.  In the early years of the century I had picked up CM1 titles, but really had no idea how to play, even though I bought their excellent manual.  Sounds like some of you still play CM1 -- so how does it hold up?  I am thinking I might get CMBB & CMAK just to play in those theatres with that equipment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, danfrodo said:

I picked up CM2 early last year and have been having great time with all the WW2 titles.  In the early years of the century I had picked up CM1 titles, but really had no idea how to play, even though I bought their excellent manual.  Sounds like some of you still play CM1 -- so how does it hold up?  I am thinking I might get CMBB & CMAK just to play in those theatres with that equipment. 

Mechanically they are still really solid. Not much has changed in the newer games from the earlier games when it comes to control scheme. AI I enjoy more on the older one. Map Generator is brilliant. Graphics are a bit archaic, but they do their job and don't hinder the experience too much. One thing is that fog does not function. Nvidia used to use a thing called fog tables to render fog. They have stopped supporting it. That is what the original CM games used. If anyone knows how to fix that I would be grateful, but I don't know of any fix for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, freecats said:

Mechanically they are still really solid. Not much has changed in the newer games from the earlier games when it comes to control scheme. AI I enjoy more on the older one. Map Generator is brilliant. Graphics are a bit archaic, but they do their job and don't hinder the experience too much. One thing is that fog does not function. Nvidia used to use a thing called fog tables to render fog. They have stopped supporting it. That is what the original CM games used. If anyone knows how to fix that I would be grateful, but I don't know of any fix for it.

See my posts at the bottom of the thread here here - hope it helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, TheGreatRadish said:

See my posts at the bottom of the thread here here - hope it helps.

Can you tell me what compatibility settings you have for your game? It starts up really quickly, loads quickly, and is more responsive. Sadly it never draws anything on screen when I get into a mission.

Edited by freecats

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, freecats said:

Can you tell me what compatibility settings you have for your game? It starts up really quickly, loads quickly, and is more responsive. Sadly it never draws anything on screen when I get into a mission.

I didn't change any of the compatibility settings, just ran the exe as is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TheGreatRadish said:

I didn't change any of the compatibility settings, just ran the exe as is.

Thanks for the feedback. Weird. It doesn't work with or without anything changed. Menus are slick and responsive though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, that's a shame.  Works with all CMx1 titles for me - sorry to hear that.  The DDraw dll is definitely in the same folder as  CombatMission2.exe?  I heard another program called dgVoodoo2 also works but I didn't try it because DDraw did so well.  I'm using the CDV retail trilogy disk version, running a new NVidia GTX 1060 card, the latest experimental DDraw release. 

For info, this is my DDRaw log:

 

Quote

11532 21:08:04.022 Process path: D:\Program Files (x86)\Combat Mission 2\CombatMission2.exe
11532 21:08:04.022 Environment variable __COMPAT_LAYER = "DWM8And16BitMitigation DetectorsXP"
11532 21:08:04.022 Loading DDrawCompat from D:\Program Files (x86)\Combat Mission 2\DDRAW.dll
11532 21:08:04.023 Disabling external hook to DirectDrawCreate in apphelp.dll
11532 21:08:04.023 DDrawCompat loaded successfully
11532 21:08:04.175 Installing registry hooks
11532 21:08:04.175 Installing Direct3D driver hooks
11532 21:08:04.175 Installing DirectDraw hooks
11532 21:08:04.190 Hooking user mode display driver: "C:\windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_f936d37e592b25aa\nvldumd.dll"
11532 21:08:04.215 Installing Direct3D hooks
11532 21:08:04.217 Installing GDI hooks
11532 21:08:04.220 Installing display mode hooks
11532 21:08:04.220 Finished installing hooks
11532 21:08:04.585 GDI used DC cache size: 1
11532 21:11:20.300 Detaching DDrawCompat
11532 21:11:20.474 DDrawCompat detached successfully

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TheGreatRadish said:

Oh, that's a shame.  Works with all CMx1 titles for me - sorry to hear that.  The DDraw dll is definitely in the same folder as  CombatMission2.exe?  I heard another program called dgVoodoo2 also works but I didn't try it because DDraw did so well.  I'm using the CDV retail trilogy disk version, running a new NVidia GTX 1060 card, the latest experimental DDraw release. 

For info, this is my DDRaw log:

 

 

Thanks for the info. My DDraw Log looks about the same. I am using the version from battlefront's store. I'll try out dgVoodoo2 now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, danfrodo said:

I picked up CM2 early last year and have been having great time with all the WW2 titles.  In the early years of the century I had picked up CM1 titles, but really had no idea how to play, even though I bought their excellent manual.  Sounds like some of you still play CM1 -- so how does it hold up?  I am thinking I might get CMBB & CMAK just to play in those theatres with that equipment. 

WeBOB is just now starting a CM1 CMBB tournament:  3Km x 3Km map, a Regiment or more of infantry and a couple companies of AFV's on each side if anyone is interested:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/webandofbrothers/invitiation-to-participate-in-bb13-round-4-t19054.html

When well-modded, CM1 still looks graphically competitive with CM2 at levels 3 and higher.  Of course CM2 looks much better at the lower close-up levels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×