An der Schönen Blauen Dnjepr scenario

HerrTom

6 hours ago, Ithikial_AU said:

Judging by the timed 'ping' I get every night in my Dropbox folder I share with IanL, I'm guessing the script he wrote to record daily weather patterns across Ukraine is still running. 

Indeed it is. I have two computers running it just in case one is turned off :)

hnseaa5.png

The AGS attached to the scout platoon lays fire on a suspected enemy position.  It appears our scout platoons are facing each other.  My BTR-82As against his BRM-1s.  And a tank.  I think my platoon should be able to outshoot his, but I doubt the ability of RPG-18s and RPG-7Vs to take on even a T-64BM.

B8Ley7S.png

Further, autocannon fire finds its way through the dense smoke on the opposite bank, knocking out two more BTR-82As.

ejYQKFF.png

Back to the Scout Platoon's flank, my favourite T-64BM shoots a sabot under the bridge into one of my supporting T-72B3s.  My ATGM team continues to look at it and twiddle their thumbs.  I've ordered them to move and setup in their hex again to get them to rotate towards that bank.  Though at this rate, it'll either disappear or knock out more vehicles before they decide to actually do their jobs!

YWDZ6sl.png

My now last surviving T-72 fires on a spotted BMP-2 as it bogs down.  It misses.  An SPG-9 round hits its ERA, causing quite an impressive explosion, but no discernible damage.

5pIUBme.png

A view across the river, showing the number of destroyed enemy tanks.

LWCXxwh.png

nKYVqFG.png

I've now landed 6 BTRs on the opposite bank.  Unless my artillery has done an excellent job, they're not going to be enough.  I'm going to attempt to assault the riverbank as best as I can, and the scout platoon will interdict what's left of the SAM Battery.  Once these limited goals are completed, I think I'll call a ceasefire since I lack the combat power to do much more.

I'm going to have to rebalance the scenario somewhat to get the sweeping battle I envisioned on the opposite bank.  Either by giving the Russians better equipment (and maybe more) or by reducing the Ukrainian forces that start on the board.  My ultimate hope for this scenario was for the Russians to be able to force a contested crossing with some blood spilt, but not this much!  Then to slam into the reinforcing Ukrainians on a meeting engagement on the opposite bank.

9 hours ago, HerrTom said:

My ATGM team continues to look at it and twiddle their thumbs.  I've ordered them to move and setup in their hex again to get them to rotate towards that bank.

As said previously, it's likely this is same phenomenon as when an HMG team has great LOS to a target but won't shoot cos it's the 3rd ammo loader who can see and not the gunner. 

As long as your team can be moved safely to a new location where (hopefully) the guy with the ATGM launcher can get LOS is probably best option.  I have occasionally wasted many turns having to do this until success.  Having the AI "understand" that one wants to fire the main weapon and automatically move it (and the gunner) a few inches to get LOS is one improvement that would be wonderful - if not in CM2 then in CM3.

I'm going to have to rebalance the scenario somewhat to get the sweeping battle I envisioned on the opposite bank.  Either by giving the Russians better equipment (and maybe more) or by reducing the Ukrainian forces that start on the board. 

My bold - I would favour trying this first. Having some of the initial force arrive as reinforcements would fit with your goal:

My ultimate hope for this scenario was for the Russians to be able to force a contested crossing with some blood spilt, but not this much!  Then to slam into the reinforcing Ukrainians on a meeting engagement on the opposite bank.

I'm going to have to rebalance the scenario somewhat to get the sweeping battle I envisioned on the opposite bank.  Either by giving the Russians better equipment (and maybe more) or by reducing the Ukrainian forces that start on the board.  My ultimate hope for this scenario was for the Russians to be able to force a contested crossing with some blood spilt, but not this much!  Then to slam into the reinforcing Ukrainians on a meeting engagement on the opposite bank.

@HerrTom. If you able to have a look at my river crossing scenario in the Red campaigne. The Red force was significantly stronger than blue in order to allow sufficient red forces to make it to the far bank and then move inland. In addition they had substantial arty and air support as is the Russian way. In order to allow for balance within an H2H game maybe it is worth considering more asymmetric victory conditions similar to those found in many of the CMSF scenarios.

Just my 2p

P