Jump to content
HerrTom

An der Schönen Blauen Dnjepr scenario

Recommended Posts

It depends on how valuable one considers life is.  My international travel experience is that anyplace but the west, life is relatively "cheap" (regrettably).

This gives rise to challenges as we now face - hard to fight an enemy that doesn't mind (or even welcomes) dying.

Edited by Erwin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think on principle  it's impossible for a modern, near-peer fight to not be a bloodbath for both sides. 

It's not so much just the weapons but that they are similarly equipped in terms of sensors/range. It's that zone of equality that probably creates an equivalent escalation of damage. 

Protected Vegetables Catapult made the point a few days ago about artillery, and how in the future it could well be the speed of emplace/acquire/fire/move that's critical, not just the range,. Ie the whole system matters not just the tube or its carriage. 

Whoever breaks ahead in the speed if that loop will gave a small edge thay will, after a certain threshold, rapidly grow. 

If this sounds like data analysis, it probably is. If that sounds like battlefield AI, it almost certainly is. 

The times they are a changin'....

Edited by kinophile

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/02/2018 at 1:36 PM, kinophile said:

I think on principle  it's impossible for a modern, near-peer fight to not be a bloodbath for both sides. 

It's not so much just the weapons but that they are similarly equipped in terms of sensors/range. It's that zone of equality that probably creates an equivalent escalation of damage. 

Protected Vegetables Catapult made the point a few days ago about artillery, and how in the future it could well be the speed of emplace/acquire/fire/move that's critical, not just the range,. Ie the whole system matters not just the tube or its carriage. 

Whoever breaks ahead in the speed if that loop will gave a small edge thay will, after a certain threshold, rapidly grow. 

If this sounds like data analysis, it probably is. If that sounds like battlefield AI, it almost certainly is. 

The times they are a changin'....

IIRC this is one of the reasons for the heavy shift in favour of SP Artillery in the Soviet Army - in addition to the added protection and mobility, it makes your artillery more responsive and faster to set up and bug out!

 

Now, since Real Life™ sucks and I haven't had much time to write stuff up for you guys, I don't have as many turns as I'd like.  I'll make it up to you by dumping a tonne of pictures at once.  Are we even? <3

 

3zRh9mr.png

It's been only a few minutes as far as I've got my AAR caught up.  But a bunch has happened.

5vKywzE.png

The ATGM teams with the scout platoon fire a few missiles which all fail to hit their mark, swinging wildly off course or, in the case of one, smacking into a tree a few meters from its target!

3Y2BQoO.png

One team is a bit too vigorous in their firing and attract the attention of a BMP on the opposite bank

GiKEB8n.png

5IhA8Vk.png

The tanks of 5 Plt/1Co by the bridge have more success, popping a few BMPs with well aimed fire.  There is a lurking T-64 by the church but we've been alternately unable to spot it and hit it.

2eSIqU6.png

A missile zooms over 5 Plt's tank.  They respond by blowing out a floor of the old church.

rvQCBsM.png

Further shots from the platoon blow apart a few more BMPs and finally nails that damn T-64!  Rejoice!

7I5fKua.png

Ukrainian artillery starts to land on my positions and a lucky shell acts like a can-opener on one of 1 Company's BTRs.  The column is hidden in the forest and this appears to be an errant shell.  Seems it may be time to move.

kBRb5nC.png

oOe1pm8.png

VtpALHD.png

 

But where to go?  They say caution is the better part of valour.  I say to hell with caution - the best part of valour is action!  Now is better than never, and now that I've achieved some modicum of fire superiority over the river and my smoke is beginning to land, it's time to drag the BTRs into position.

mcv27Zx.png

lhJx2zU.png

The attached tank from BtnHQ engages a retreating enemy ATGM team and pops smoke to cover the advance to the river.

IrJiLJ2.png

An errant shell lands well behind my lines and injures my air controller.  Hopefully the Hinds can pick their targets well enough without him!  He's getting first aid but I doubt the ability of his assistant in guiding in more missions.

CP9J0Al.png

Smoke begins to thicken on the enemy positions.  There are a few trenches left uncovered, but they will be easily suppressed by the crossing force and their supporting arms.  My main worry is enemy vehicles, which will have to drive forward through the smoke - much to their disadvantage!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shaping up. You're setting the attack up for success, that's for sure. The last shot of the defensive positions really captures the scale of things as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, HerrTom said:

IIRC this is one of the reasons for the heavy shift in favour of SP Artillery in the Soviet Army - in addition to the added protection and mobility, it makes your artillery more responsive and faster to set up and bug out!

An interesting tidbit on this, but in the US Army not the Russia. Today, field artillery (M777) actually move faster operationally speaking than the Paladin SPG. I don't know why this is and can only speculate, but I believe it has something to do with the mechanized nature of the Paladin itself. Its a large, lumbering machine that requires more maintenance and has a smaller ammo stockpile it brings with itself than field howitzers. However, I do still think it is the case that the Paladin is better at "shoot and scoot." 

Anyways, the AAR is coming along very nicely. I especially like your map graphics. I can only imagine how long that took to originally set up. Your plan also looks very good, and based on the last screenshot you seem to be doing a lot of damage to the defenders on the other bank. I'm looking forward to the attack across the river and how it all plays out. It is a very complex, dangerous maneuver that even if you do everything right, could still go wrong. Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, IICptMillerII said:

An interesting tidbit on this, but in the US Army not the Russia. Today, field artillery (M777) actually move faster operationally speaking than the Paladin SPG. I don't know why this is and can only speculate, but I believe it has something to do with the mechanized nature of the Paladin itself. Its a large, lumbering machine that requires more maintenance and has a smaller ammo stockpile it brings with itself than field howitzers. However, I do still think it is the case that the Paladin is better at "shoot and scoot."

Interesting. With the Gvozdika attached to most manoeuvre formations the most interesting capability was the amphibious capability which in theory vastly expands its mobility.

5 hours ago, IICptMillerII said:

It is a very complex, dangerous maneuver that even if you do everything right, could still go wrong. Good luck!

Thanks I'm going to need it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28.02.2018 at 3:37 AM, HerrTom said:

With the Gvozdika attached to most manoeuvre formations the most interesting capability was the amphibious capability which in theory vastly expands its mobility.

Not Gvozdika but Akatsia, though... :)

DD-902vXcAEbuCr.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Haiduk said:

Not Gvozdika but Akatsia, though... :)

DD-902vXcAEbuCr.jpg

Are you sure? Looks like a 2S1 Gvozdika to me:

Slovak_2S1_Gvozdika.jpg

Namely by the turret shape and the gun support.  Compare to the Akatisya below:

2s3_akatsiya.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, HerrTom said:

Are you sure? Looks like a 2S1 Gvozdika 

Give me some ash, I will sprinkle my head %) ... Emmm...  Where is shame smile here?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1YWdPHC.png

My forces continue to maneouvre to the river, getting ready for the ambitious crossing.  (Designer's note... I think I overestimated the capability of my reduced Russian MRB against these BMPs!  I originally designed this scenario with the 3rd battalion arriving after some time but thought twice.  Call it thrice now?)

AVLFbjy.png

An ATGM bounces its way through the air towards 5. Platoon, 1. Company's tanks.

asQqgu3.png

It screams right overhead, scaring the hell out of the crew.  They frantically work to find the source of the missile.

3qRTM2z.png

They fail.  A second missile slams into the upper front plate, killing the driver.  The crew abandons the tank.

Th46jDV.png

Things continue going poorly as one of my BTRs in 1. Company's weapon platoon eats some 30mm cannon shells.  The fragments kill the driver and gunner, as well as a Metis team.

4dVa3gp.png

Clearly the smoke and suppression hasn't been enough to protect the BTRs fully.  Thankfully, they are almost all in position, ready for the crossing in the next minute or two.  Above, smoke can be seen covering the approach into the dachas from the forest.

 

In the next couple of minutes, hopefully I can get the shots we've all been waiting for.  The amphibious crossing! (And literally the main reason I made this map and scenario B))

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe make your scenario available to us and we can try and accomplish the same mission.  It would be interesting to compare different players' strategies/tactics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Erwin said:

Maybe make your scenario available to us and we can try and accomplish the same mission.  It would be interesting to compare different players' strategies/tactics.

If I haven't yet I will! Thanks for the reminder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/14/2018 at 10:48 AM, Rinaldi said:

Stellar, thanks! I may make my own AAR of this - after you of course. Keep it up, I've been loving it.

I'd be up for a RT game. 

Streaming it would be very neat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, kinophile said:

I'd be up for a RT game. 

Streaming it would be very neat. 

Do you mean proper real time or direct connect we-go? You'd hand me my ass in proper real time but I'd be down for it, I don't really care about winning or losing. Its a matter of when and how; I'm entering exams and I'll be back in GMT-5 timezone starting this summer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found something in my CM Helper inbox a couple of days ago...

0K2vGUfg.png

The dachas turn out to be more exposed than I anticipated.  This means I need to start the crossing ASAP.  The platoons on the riverbank and dive into the water.

NYLgDju.png

BTRs from 1st Company boldly drive to the riverbank, catching up with their comrades.

m6dazi6.png

Another BTR eats some 30mm fire from across the river.  The passengers survive with major wounds as they bail out of the doomed vehicle.

LYfVACH.png

And yet another.  Clearly the smoke screen is not doing its job!  None of these hits have been catastrophic, but they are definitely decreasing the combat power I can deploy across the Dnjepr.

PkBy8cc.png

All the while artillery shells land around 1st Company as they stage.

ksbuXUe.png

But the order comes: "Cross to landing point Boris!"

The engines roar to life as the platoon surges forward.  The crossing gets staggered as some drivers attempt to find better slopes to enter the river.

Pr7m67I.png

JvG0S4H.png

But the crossing has begun...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I couldn't leave you guys hanging! I actually had the turn for about three weeks before I noticed it apparently. So subtract that from the six months!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

4 hours ago, BTR said:

Maybe they jumped. 

Maybe. But this one dives from special wide flat ramp in deep waters, not from slippery clayay steep in the shallow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×