An der Schönen Blauen Dnjepr scenario

HerrTom

I want to avoid confusion from the start of the original thread to this one, since it's technically a different scenario.  Much is the same, but I'm doing it anyway!

j5HxRGf.png

M2cpX6t.png

SITUATION

Thanks to the successful battle and crossing of the canals near Pryvitnoe by 2nd Battalion, we have been tasked with exploiting the gap in the Ukrainian lines.

We have one final barrier to cross before the total colapse of the Ukrainian defenses occurs on the southern flank: the river Dniepr.  Ukrainian forces are dug in deep alon the major crossings near Kherson and 1st Battalion has encountered stiff resistance further north of us.

Intelligence has identified a weak spot by the town of Prydinprovs'ke.  This will be a tough one, since there is only one bridge in the area.  We'll have to force a river crossing.  Thankfully, the Ukrainian units have only just arrived and not had time to dig in properly.

MISSION

Our job is to cross the Dniepr and move troops further north to further stress the fragile Ukrainian defense.  Thus, we have two main objectives for this engagement:

1. Cross the river and penetrate the enemy lines and continue to Kherson

2. Eliminate the defenders on the river crossing for follow on forces to continue at speed

3. Minimize casualties.  It should go without saying that sacrificing too many of our boys will reduce the effectiveness of our crossing, and no one wants to write those letters.

4. Destroy SAM battery.  Elements of the 208. SAM Brigade are in the area of operations.  Take the site and destroy any equipment you can find.

FRIENDLY FORCES

Our 2nd Battalion, 18 Motor Rifle Regiment has the following assets in the area:
- Reconnaisance platoon
- ATGM platoon
- Grenade launcher platoon
- 2 combined arms companies
    - 3 platoons of BTR-82 mounted infantry (amphibious)
    - 1 platoon of T-72B3 tanks
Support assets are as follows:
- 3 platoons of 2S3M2 152mm howitzers, a total of 18 guns on call for this crossing
- 1 platoon of 2S7M2 203mm howitzers, a total of 4 guns on call from the divisional resources.  We're lucky to have these, so use them wisely.
- 1 flight of Mi-24PN gunships from frontal aviation

ENEMY FORCES

Enemy forces consist of elements of the 28 Mechanised Brigade that our sister battalion previously faced at Pryvitnoe.  These guys are tough, so be careful!

PLAN

There are three crossing points that we have identified.

The first, and most dangerous is the bridge leading into Prydinprovs'ke.  This is a long and wide open approach so should be considered only a last resort until the overlooking areas are cleared.

The second and primary crossing point is Landing Zone Boris, across from the Dachas at point Elena.  The dachas provide decent cover for the approach to the river and point Boris is a fairly flat area also covered by trees.

The final crossing point is to Landing Zone Vasiliy.  There is a narrow path up through the area, but it may be an unexpected direction.
FQuWSfd.png

Tactical map to show the locations in the briefing.  The objectives have morphed somewhat.  Russian forces gain points for sending troops off-map on objective G, for destroying Ukrainian units, minimising own casualties and finally destroying the forces that are at the SAM site before they can evacuate.

QpmC94A.png

My plan is much the same as before.

EXECUTION

1. Company (1-я pота) will approach the dachas along the western path through the woods in column.  Upon reaching the buildings, they will deploy in line formation and prepare to cross the river.  5. Platoon (1/5-й взвод) will take position along the axis of the bridge to provide fire support.  1. Company will clear the riverbank and advance into the town proper to provide cover for the tanks to cross the bridge.

2. Company (2-я pота) will also approach the dachas along the eastern path through the woods in column.  Upon reaching the buildings, they will also deploy in line formation and prepare to cross the river.  5. Platoon (2/5-й взвод) will advance alongside 1. Company and take positions near the dachas to provide fire support to the crossings.  2. Company will then advance past the buildings and threaten the SAM complex before continuing to Kherson.

The reconnaissance platoon (Разведка) will advance through the dried creek to the west and prepare for their own crossing to the west of the bridge.  They will form a distraction for the enemy, to disrupt the enemy defence as 1. and 2. Companies cross the Dniepr.  They will then continue to cut off any Ukrainian movement to retreat to Kherson.

The weapons company will deploy among the manoeuvre elements and provide a base of fire for each crossing.

Once the main body is across the river, fire support elements will mount and make their own crossings.  Once the area is cleared of heavy weapons, the tank platoons will storm across the bridge.

FIRE SUPPORT

Fire phases will be divided into three phases: DYNYA (melon) will initiate fire plans, with all batteries firing at designated targets with the objective of destruction.  When the order to cross is given, fire missions will shift to phase YABLOKO (apple).  Fire missions during this phase will be aimed at suppressing enemy ability to fire or manoeuvre to protect our assets as they cross the river.  As our forces make landfall, fire missions will shift to phase GRUSHA (pear).  Fire missions during this phase will be designed to cut off the defenders from reinforcements as they are run out of their positions.

The organic 120mm mortars will be on call to strike targets of opportunity, and will be providing smoke for the crossing at fire phase YABLOKO.  Upon fire phase GRUSHA, the mortars will fire on zones 112 and 113 to suppress defenders attempting to contain the landing of the recce platoon.

2 of the 3 2S3 batteries will be tasked with striking target zones 211 and 212 respectively, until fire phase GRUSHA corresponding with the crossing attempt, after which they will shift their fire to focus on zone 213 as forces approach the shore.

The final 2S3 battery will be firing on zone 111 until fire phase GRUSHA, after which it will shift fire to zone 112.

The 2S7 battery will be firing in support of the main crossing effort and will hit zones 211 and 212 until fire phase YABLOKO.  The heavy guns will then shift to suppressing forces in zones 112 and 213 to prevent further reinforcements from engaging the landing.

The pair of Mi-24s will be given free reign of the opposite bank, hitting any targets of opportunity the pilots can find.

----

And in a twist of fate that I'm sure will make @Haiduk happy - the bridge is actually a railroad bridge now!

XE1NpCm.png

And for those interested in a play-along, I've attached the scenario to this post!  There is no AI at the moment - H2H only, and I haven't a clue if it's balanced!

An der Schoenen Blauen Dnjepr.btt

Edited by HerrTom
Better title

1 hour ago, HerrTom said:

And in a twist of fate that I'm sure will make @Haiduk happy - the bridge is actually a railroad bridge now!

XE1NpCm.png

That is one dam nice picture of the bridge.

If I may ask, who is your opponent for this battle?

Edited by JohnO

5 hours ago, HerrTom said:

Can we play the similar scenario later, but with my version of the map, which will reflect real terrain (more hard for attackers)? Alas, when I had started to make a map I encountered with a problems with elevation set. My PC is too slooooooooow for large arrays. I have i5 3 GHz, 4 Gb RAM and Intel HD2000 video. Maybe more DDRs can solve a problem? Or new videoсard ? 

Edited by Haiduk

9Ep5h6m.png

ATGM teams move ahead of the main companies, which stay put for the meantime to minimise exposure to enemy fire while the opposite bank is worked by artillery.  I've filled out the map as best as I can tell where the main Ukrainian positions are.  There are definitely tanks by the church, and what appears to be at least a platoon of BMPs on each of the clusters of buildings.

The enemy is deployed very forward.  My hope is to force a wedge through their defensive positions.  Once the Ukrainians are on the move, they lose any advantage they had over me.

1eg3owZ.png

EbdjmDM.png

One of 2/5 platoon's tanks moves into position to fire on the opposite bank.  A tank round screams through the air and impacts its ERA, shaking the crew but not much else.

YTt2EfR.png

A tank shot quickly follows and detonates the tank's ammo stores in an earth-shattering explosion.  So far, we're not off to a good start.

iQKin9u.png

A battalion's worth of artillery is landing on Prydinprovs'ke.  Clouds of smoke and dirt reach for the sky as a hail of steel lands on the Ukrainian positions.

RAGRxGH.png

An aerial view brings the first salvo's destruction to light.

DeJRluz.png

1. Company sits in column formation, ready to rush to staging positions to cross the river.

---

I'm going to try to edit together some video from the first few turns to make something with a bit cleaner presentation than I've done in the past.  This will take a while, but you can wait knowing that you'll get to see the terrifying artillery barrage! B) 

trHQzUO.png

The ATGM group moving to the dachas made a slight detour to get better line of sight on the opposite bank.  2/5 has been essentially wiped out.  More details on that in the following report.  Overall, the plan has not changed significantly.

naMRqmu.png

The ATGM teams of 2/4 dismount and move into position to cover the crossing.

gi1jYPH.png

The battalion's support tank fires on the newly spotted enemy tank.

4MbAc9n.png

The shot slams into a tree, annihilating it.  The enemy tank crew, however, fails to notice the close call.

V3iiAWA.png

Another shot is fired, and streaks past the battalion tank.

y3aHnAG.png

The shot slams into steel as another tank of 5. Platoon, 2. Company explodes in a gigantic fireball.

jYvNxcY.png

The battalion's tank returns fire again, this time landing a shot right in the turret ring, disabling the lucky enemy.

ECcBTgF.png

The last tank in 5. platoon explodes from yet another unseen threat.

i3BHHPd.png

5. Platoon, 1. Company spots the threat and fires, exploding another Ukrainian tank.

cKEugrF.png

5. Platoon, 1. Company observes the destruction across the river.

MFZIWYC.png

Reconnaissance troops move to the edge of the woods to identify any enemy forces on the bank opposite of the Razvedka team.

4EM5hX8.png

Artillery fire continues to rain down upon the opposite bank.  A couple of ATGMs have screamed overhead and impacted things on the other bank.  No positive ID on the targets yet.

O7HPxog.png

1st platoon of 2nd company is making a run for the cover of the trees by the dachas.  The ATGM team seemed to make it OK, so hopefully we can begin to stage the crossing.  The ATGM teams on the eastern side have gotten into position and are setting up their weapons, while the one attached to the scouts is still trudging its way through mud.

U8BpV7C.png

A shot flies through the air and strikes the remaining tank by the dachas. The ERA on its turret does its job, and the tank fires smoke and retreats to the path, covered by trees.

qM4ZCQZ.png

ATGM teams make their way through the dachas and get their glimpse at the carnage unfolding across the river.  They can already see a pair of BMPs sitting on the eastern side of the crossing zone.

p3TofRH.png

The Forward Air Controller hears the echos of explosions coming from across the bridge.  He prays that he is safe here, out of sight (and hopefully out of mind from the Ukrainian artillery planners).

R87IqIj.png

5. Platoon, 1 Company inches forward to the bridge, careful not to expose themselves too much to potential enemy fire.

zsXnZMg.png

Meanwhile, 1. Platoon, 2. Company makes its dash to the copse by the dachas.

yj7Oewr.png

5. Platoon's lead tank spots a T-64 hiding by the bridge's escarpment.  The gunner fires a well-aimed shell that smashes through the enemy tank's armour, throwing sparks and fire into the air.

2fZO8AN.png

An artillery observer moves behind the ATGM teams by the bridge.

2t7cgkq.png

An aerial view of the carnage.  ATGMs have been streaking over my troops and causing some damage to the Ukrainians, but I'm not sure what they're hitting.  There are definitely some more burning vehicles that will need to be identified!

Thanks for the kind words, everyone.  Things are about to get bloody.  But, for now...

yga88iQ.png 

Not much happened this minute.  As such, not too many pictures.

2WzpZRIg.png

A tank shell hits 5. Platoon's rightmost tank.  The ERA does its job, but the explosion knocks out the unbuttoned commander.

0yrXDtO.png

The ATGM teams on the right flank are deployed and spotting IFVs on the far bank.

7U8iHL2.png

Unfortunately, one of 1. Platoon, 2. Company's BTRs attracts the attention of a BMP-2 through the smoke.  The shells pound into the vehicle, killing the gunner and panicking the squad in back.

uvXe5YT.png

More artillery rains on the far bank.  Only time will tell how effective the bombardment was.

Edited by HerrTom

• 2 weeks later...

Figured I'd drop a Christmas bone of my own - haven't gotten very far due to all the holiday obligations, but I do have a turn for you guys!

wNEpILI.png

Eventful in the explosions, but uneventful on the manoeuvring.  1. Platoon, 2. Company managed to reach the copse to the east of the dachas without losing any more vehicles.  For now I'm going to keep the rest of 2. Company in cover until the smoke starts raining down in the next few minutes.  The smoke screen will be kept up for the next ten or fifteen minutes as the companies stage and start the crossing.  2/4 PTRK (ATGM teams from 2. Company weapons platoon are doing a number on the Ukrainians - knocking out 4 BMPs with the help of the battalion tank, and another tank got blown to smithereens by a well placed shot from 5. Platoon, 1. Company.

Buddy's been on vacation so it's been slow going getting these turns in - hopefully we can speed it up again with the new year!  I'll make it my resolution B)

k3QrxUXg.png

A Ukrainian BMP eats an ATGM.

pnWjMg9.png

The ATGM teams at the Dachas are doing great work, quickly enaging and launching missiles at the number of visible enemy vehicles on the far bank.

fyPH7Qx.png

One after another, three BMPs are perforated by the skilled operators.

hSEnQsz.png

A fourth BMP gets exploded by the battalion HQ's tank, avenging the demise of the BTR crew the last minute.

CmSH21M.png

Kablooey.

Bm2dc2w.png

5. Platoon, 1. Company watches over the bridge.  The gunner of the westernmost tank spots a little shimmer hidden behind the trees - another T-64!

jnXR38t.png

He fires a shot that lands squarely on the glacis plate, brewing up the enemy tank in a pillar of fire.

kxMzJ7q.png

Fairly uneventful.  Some artillery has started to land on 1st company and on the Konkurs teams in the dachas.  Unfortunately, their weapons have been knocked out by tank fire.

XurUfEm.png

A tank shell impacts in front of the hedgerow behind which the ATGM team is set up.  They flee.

brORnzd.png

And as they flee, the tank fires a second shot.  It goes wide and collapses a wall of the cottage behind the team.  They keep running.  The next shot again hits the cottage, but also injures the team commander, destroying his sights too.

n0PNSwt.png

Artillery fire lands on the dachas.  Some stray fragments knock out the second ATGM.

HdjJa0H.png

5. Platoon, 1. Company surveys the smoke and carnage across the river.  They will slowly start to move forward to get a better view on that tank that's causing me so much trouble.  Only time will tell if they succeed!

• 3 weeks later...

TLyf30r.png

Another minute of trading fire across the river while I wait for an opening to bring my forces to cross.

hQlV0po.png

The tanks by the bridge attempt to destroy the last visible T-64.  It is hull down and a number of shots land short.

u6qcE06.png

The ATGMs of 4. Plt, 1. Company join in, but there just isn't enough of the tank visible to land a good shot.

8OyU5sr.png

But they don't go without notice...

zjTxhdH.png

Kaboom!  The shot lands short and fails to do any real damage, other than to the ATGM team's eardrums.

xg6CwIj.png

ndHcHfv.png

A Ukrainian ATGM manages to land a hit on one of the T-72s and knocks it out.  It appears to have come from the church, so I'll make sure it doesn't last to fire a second shot.

XURU2Rd.png

The ATGM section attached to the scout team manages to guide true on the troublesome T-64 and knocks it out (hopefully for good).

ztNUpz8.png

Smoke is beginning to land on the far bank, so hopefully in the next couple of minutes we can assault the Ukrainian positions and turn this into a more dynamic battle!

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, this is one of the most useful threads re how to handle "Red" units in CMBS.  It's great the way one can understand Tom's thinking re tactics.  I find I keep trying to use Red units as if they were US/NATO.  Still don't quite understand or feel comfortable how to fight with Red units.  And it's rare to see any threads re tactics.

Really enjoyed playing Red vs Red in CMSF and thought I had gotten pretty good at it.  But, CMBS is much harder and seems to always end in a bloodbath.  Not sure why.  Maybe maps were more wide open and ranges were greater in CMSF.

Edited by Erwin

On 09/02/2018 at 5:13 PM, Artkin said:

Where are the updates Tom!! :D

Coming, I swear!  I'm trying to combine multiple minutes into each post now since the last three or four have been "we're trading shots across the river."  I'm starting to move my troops into position for the actual crossing, so I'll probably compress the time scale as soon as things get more exciting.

On 10/02/2018 at 7:26 AM, Erwin said:

Yes, this is one of the most useful threads re how to handle "Red" units in CMBS.  It's great the way one can understand Tom's thinking re tactics.  I find I keep trying to use Red units as if they were US/NATO.  Still don't quite understand or feel comfortable how to fight with Red units.  And it's rare to see any threads re tactics.

Really enjoyed playing Red vs Red in CMSF and thought I had gotten pretty good at it.  But, CMBS is much harder and seems to always end in a bloodbath.  Not sure why.  Maybe maps were more wide open and ranges were greater in CMSF.

No wonder it's a bloodbath - you're taking advice from me! :D I'm glad you find it helpful.

That's why have been hoping that someone would continue the tactics thread that Olek started.  Am sure I have not seen any other thread helping with how to play CMBS successfully (ie avoiding bloodbaths).  And if that bloodbath reflects RL, then no wonder no one (in the west) wants to get into any more fights for any reason.