Armored Infantry Platoon HQ

I was generally using US infantry in the WWII titles but recently have started to use Armored Infantry. I like the idea of having the tracks with additional ammo for resupply.  It kind of adds a logistics element to battles. 

However I was accustom to the platoon HQ as a separate team in the straight leg infantry platoons.  In CMFI the 44A Armored Infantry platoon HQ is part of 1st Squad.  Same for Armored Infantry in CMBN & CMFB.  I have been experimenting around with the best way to administratively split the HQ teams in a US Armored Infantry Platoon. I found a way, using the administrative commands that ends up with the Platoon Leader (the Lt.) in one team and the platoon sergeant (SFC) in a different team.  There is also C team with three riflemen.  The interesting thing is both the Lt. and the SFC have arty/mortar calling ability.  It is easiest to make all these administrative splits during the Setup phase.   So with the below administrative split there are two separate teams in an Armored Infantry platoon that can call for fire.

Split Assault Team from base and then Scout Team from base.  (If you stop here this scout team has the radio which might prove useful. Or disastrous.)  

Place Assault Team and the Scout Team in the same action square and allow them to recombine.

Then take the now combined Assault Team and Scout Team and use Split Teams.

You will end up with three teams two of which can call for fire support.  

JiuPcnAh.jpg

Following the above administrative splits you end up with the following. 

5GvI0tOh.jpg

IKFqxB1h.jpg

5skcEKah.jpg

T1jWt2Oh.jpg

And C Team

HMkBeNWh.jpg

Any other suggestions /ideas for administratively splitting teams?  Please share any tips you may have.  

Edited by MOS:96B2P

17 minutes ago, Erwin said:

So even without a radio the SFC can call (offboard?) arty.  

It's the field telephone abstraction.  As long as the individual troop has call authority he can always make the call.  In the WWII titles many XOs don't have call authority so this surprised me.    

So what we need is a better definition or list of who in the game has "call authoritay" (apologies to SouthPark).   And in RL, who would have "authoritay"?  Confusing if what you have accomplished can be repeated for other units and nationalities.  Esp if not "realistic".

17 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

I'll have to give this a look, but it sounds suspiciously like a bug that realistically should be disallowed.

Michael

I don't know if it's intended behavior or not and it does seem kind of suspicious :P.   However, it is true for all three WWII titles with US Armored Infantry, CMFI, CMBN and CMFB.  So if it is something that is not intended it was able to make its way into three titles.   Which is possible I guess ............  

21 minutes ago, MOS:96B2P said:

I don't know if it's intended behavior or not and it does seem kind of suspicious :P.   However, it is true for all three WWII titles with US Armored Infantry, CMFI, CMBN and CMFB.  So if it is something that is not intended it was able to make its way into three titles.   Which is possible I guess ............  

That is possible as it is the ToE for CMBN that was pushed to the other two. Not saying it is a bug, just that there is a single origination source. 

18 hours ago, sburke said:

That is possible as it is the ToE for CMBN that was pushed to the other two. Not saying it is a bug, just that there is a single origination source. 

In my experience in the WWII titles Senior NCOs for the Germans and Commonwealth countries cannot call in fire missions. @MOS:96B2P I've never had trouble calling in FFEs with a US Army XO or Commonwealth 2IC . Senior NCOs usually can only call in with the US Army, if my memory serves. Which is historical even for 1944, I always believed. If you have a moment could you try and call in a FFE with a tank platoon sergeant? I remember being able to do that only with the US Army.

Not sure it's really a bug; just a bit of flexibility advantage for one faction. 

2 hours ago, Rinaldi said:

If you have a moment could you try and call in a FFE with a tank platoon sergeant? I remember being able to do that only with the US Army.  

Yep, they sure can.  I tested it in CMFI with a US Sherman tank platoon and a US M5A1 tank platoon.  The highest rank NCO (SSG E-6 instead of a SFC E-7) in both platoons were able to call in artillery/mortars. 

2 hours ago, Rinaldi said:

In my experience in the WWII titles Senior NCOs for the Germans and Commonwealth countries cannot call in fire missions. @MOS:96B2P I've never had trouble calling in FFEs with a US Army XO or Commonwealth 2IC . Senior NCOs usually can only call in with the US Army, if my memory serves. Which is historical even for 1944, I always believed. If you have a moment could you try and call in a FFE with a tank platoon sergeant? I remember being able to do that only with the US Army.

Not sure it's really a bug; just a bit of flexibility advantage for one faction. 

Sorry the only FFE I have experienced is when my wife got tired of me leaving the toilet seat up.