Dragonwynn,

The map for Battle 2 is stunning.  So well done.

I'm trying to look after your boys but the Germans are making that most difficult.  Major Allied Victory on Elite for Battle 2, at the last minute of the battle, time 0:00.

Lots of letters to write...Dinosaur, Machine, Cowboy, Slick, Preacher, Uptight, and Pappy.  It was a pretty brutal battle.  I'm already in the field of tears after 2 battles.

However, I am curious.  How does the game figure out who makes it from battle to battle.  I am about to start the 3rd battle, and it seems I was slightly mistaken, as there are three of the lads who have returned from the dead...Dinosaur, Preacher, and Slick.  If any of their crew escapes, does this bring the commander back for the next battle?  I was checking the survivors of the crews from the blown up tanks, and I counted the commander as KIA if he wasn't listed in the crew that fled the tank. 

Evidently the crews must have gone back and recovered their commanders from the wreckage of the tanks.  No problem with that.  Just curious.

Love your work.  My stomach is all knotted up every time I move Stevens and his lads forward into battle.  Thanks for putting this together.  It is another gem.

Heinrich505 

Im not sure how the game mechanics work on that. My guess is you had survivors from each crew and they carried over with replacements for the dead. I had them setup as kill all in the editor so unless the entire crew is kaput then they should carry over.

Glad your having fun with it and keep the boys motivated 😁

Remember, casualties ain't all dead, some of them are just concussed or suffer flesh wounds that would take them out of the fight temporarily, but that would soon be sorted out at a field medical station.....The crew who climbed out might plausibly have brought an unconscious commander with them, but the game has no way to depict that.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

• 5 months later...

First mission got me completely off guard. Gave me a lesson what happens when you completely relax without keeping possible hazards in mind, will happily restart. Also have finally to realize that bogging is a real threat in Final Blitzkrieg.

The writing: The story with the boy and his father serving in the opposing forces and that allied soldier ready to silence him: Just superb, this is the real deal.

Although I asked myself why they didn´t keep the boy in custody also for his own good due to the fact that you´re about to engage his home town. Hell of a danger to let him go, can imagine many of your men would hate you for that.

@Sgt. Squarehead you talk about the bright cross casualties? Or do dark cross casualties also have a chance to recover? I always assumed they are gone and even made it secondary to give them "first aid".

Edited by MANoWAR.U51

On 5/30/2018 at 5:05 PM, MANoWAR.U51 said:

First mission got me completely off guard. Gave me a lesson what happens when you completely relax without keeping possible hazards in mind, will happily restart. Also have finally to realize that bogging is a real threat in Final Blitzkrieg.

The writing: The story with the boy and his father serving in the opposing forces and that allied soldier ready to silence him: Just superb, this is the real deal.

Although I asked myself why they didn´t keep the boy in custody also for his own good due to the fact that you´re about to engage his home town. Hell of a danger to let him go, can imagine many of your men would hate you for that.

@Sgt. Squarehead you talk about the bright cross casualties? Or do dark cross casualties also have a chance to recover? I always assumed they are gone and even made it secondary to give them "first aid".

Thanks MANoWAR for the kind comments. Yea the decision to let go or hold is one of the dilemas war throws at those who must fight them. The story will be revisted later in the campaign. Glad you like it so far.

Michael

On ‎30‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 10:05 PM, MANoWAR.U51 said:

I didn't think the game engine drew a distinction with mounted crew, they are either blue (OK), yellow (Light Wound) or red (Serious Wound/Dead).....Once the crew dismounts AFAIK the red crew are not depicted, only yellow or blue (now green) crew dismount as infantry.

My assumption was that there is a possibility some of the former red crew are only seriously injured (bright cross) and that the surviving crew might (be assumed to) bring them with them (but the game cannot depict this).

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

On 4.6.2018 at 12:56 AM, Silentotto41 said:

I downloaded and it does not seems to be working. When loading it never gets past 70%....any ideas? Thanks.

Try this:

make sure you delete the .cam file and the mod folder

start combat mission blitzkrieg and quit

redownload the cam file and the mod files then

put the files into their according places (campaigns folder and z folder)

start combat mission blitzkrieg again and launch the campaign

1 hour ago, Silentotto41 said:

Thanks MANoWar but that did not work....any other ideas? 

Sometimes the game will "hang" at certain points during loading. It will even appear to be "not responding." However, if you just let the game sit and chug through, usually it will finish loading. My suggestion would be to try loading it up normally again, and just give it a good 5 minutes or so before giving up on it. It might just go through. Also, make sure NOT to click while the game is loading. Just leave the keyboard and mouse completely alone. If you click, it'll trigger the Windows "not responding" overlay and the game won't load. 

7 hours ago, IICptMillerII said:

Sometimes the game will "hang" at certain points during loading. It will even appear to be "not responding." However, if you just let the game sit and chug through, usually it will finish loading. My suggestion would be to try loading it up normally again, and just give it a good 5 minutes or so before giving up on it. It might just go through. Also, make sure NOT to click while the game is loading. Just leave the keyboard and mouse completely alone. If you click, it'll trigger the Windows "not responding" overlay and the game won't load. 

Yes very important to keep that in mind and do exactly what Miller says. On my windows machines I even seen the whitish not responding overlays getting triggered without user input while the scenario was loading.

Hit the start campaign button, when you see the loading bar don´t touch anything for 5 minutes, tell us what happened.

Edited by MANoWAR.U51

I just downloaded this campaign and will play it when I've finished the scenario I'm busy with now. After looking through the stuff in the folder named "Field of Tears Mods" there are two things I've been wondering about. In this folder are six modtag text documents. The file called modtag2 contains the tag text "whitewash snow" while modtag4 and modtag5 contain the tag text "snow whitewash". If the mod files have the tag "whitewash snow", like in m5a1-turret [whitewash snow].bmp, will the tag text "snow whitewash" in modtag4 and modtag5 still do it's trick? And why is there a need of five modtag text files? Isn't it enough to put the tags in one text file? Or is maybe each file necessary for each chapter, or scenario, within the campain, so each campaign scenario has it's own text file with mod tags?

Edited by BornGinger

One small nitpick. Warrant officers in the US Army don't lead platoons. 1st or 2nd LTs do. Warrants in the US don't work the same as in European Armies. In the US military Warrants are high level technical experts. Whereas in most European Armies, they take the place of Senior NCOs. If a US platoon loses it's officer, his place will be taken by the Platoon Sergeant, usually a Staff or Technical Sergeant, until a replacement can be brought forward.

On 6/10/2018 at 4:54 PM, Silentotto41 said:

Thanks guys. I did all of that and waited a good 15 minutes and still stuck at 70%. I've never had this problem before with any other download. 

Here additional things that come to my mind sorted from "check first" to "unlikely".

- how big is your .cam file in the documents folder? Mine is  9.60MB 10.070.951 bytes under file properities.

- Did you ever install something on top of engine 4 (i.e. an patch)? Are there exactly 10 .brz files in your "Data folder"?

- Did you remove ALL mods from Z folder and try if the campaign works? Keep in mind mods can be located in the "mods" folder in "Documents/Battlefront"  or in the "data/z" folder in your blitzkrieg game dir.  Remove all CUSTOM .cam files except this one.

- try the ol but gold "launch as admin"

- kill all background processes, overlays, whatever running in the background in the task manager, disable antivir... everything that is not cruicial to operate Windows and CM in order to test if the problem is there located.

- set all ingame performance related settings on low, disable shaders, change high priority process

- Do you have different hdd´s and partitions? If so, cut & paste the CM Blitzkrieg folder into another hdd/partition and see if a wonder happens.

- did you ever tamper with windows pagefile settings? How big is your RAM? Does your windows partition AND the game partition have some free space left? (at least some GB)

- test a windows 7 compatibilty mode

- while the campaign loads check the combat mission process... Is it still causing hdd activity? 

- check your device manager for any alerts and upgrade your common drivers (this is bs but I have no other ideas)

Edited by MANoWAR.U51

• 6 months later...

Stunning work @dragonwynn, what an atmospheric writing! When is the book being published? ;)

The only things that botter me is that there are people killing my buddies, and they actually are efficient at it 😕

Would there be an AAR around by the way? I'm doing things wrong obviously, in Antons' bridge scenario that is, and I'm wondering how you guys are doing it. 

Edited by CMFDR

(Would have edited my previous post if I would have been allowed to do so. Let's create another entry in the forum's database then ;) )

Found one, in Spanish : 
CMFB - Fields of Tears: La población de Anton - YouTube

Interestingly enough, the author doesn't seems to be that afraid of bogging and the Sherman have crossed the river quite easily. That changes things! :)

Thx for the campaign! I havent played "In The Fields Where The Poppies Grow" and downloaded it. I have a question about this campaign:

You say that you have used you own mods but I can only download the *.cam file. Where can I find the modtags and the mods for "In The Fields Where The Poppies Grow"? 

When I download "Fields of Tears" the mods for that campaign are included in the zip folder.

2 hours ago, DeutschRitter said:

Thx for the campaign! I havent played "In The Fields Where The Poppies Grow" and downloaded it. I have a question about this campaign:

You say that you have used you own mods but I can only download the *.cam file. Where can I find the modtags and the mods for "In The Fields Where The Poppies Grow"? 

When I download "Fields of Tears" the mods for that campaign are included in the zip folder.

Check this post by the author from that campaign's thread, the link is there : 

• 2 months later...

Possible spoiler:

Played the first scenario and achieved a draw, which was not good enough to move to the next battle. Played again with a minor victory, but this was still not enough to move to the second battle. Wondering what it takes to continue in this campaign. Considering you are attacking a force that is equal to (or better) than your own, you will not have much left if you push much harder. What level of victory does it require?

You will need at least a "Tactical Victory". Irrespective of casualties your forces will be at full strength for Mission 2 which takes place about a fortnight later. Providing of course, that Steven's survives the first mission.

The 2nd battle moves the action to the Ardennes and I'm in the middle of it at the moment.