How to do recon as the Germans (and others that only split into two teams)

Lately I have been playing a lot more CMBN as the Germans, and found many of their squads can only split into two teams.

This means that when I split off a 2-man scout team, the rest of the squad will stay together as one big blob. If the scouts get killed, this blob will stay together for the rest of the mission, severaly limiting the tactical options and making the squad vulnerable because it's so bunched up.

With the US forces, sending out one scout team still gives me the option to split the rest of the squad into two teams.

So, how do I do recon as the Germans (and other factions that can't split squads into 3 teams)?

I've found that I started sending out scout teams much less, instead splitting squads evenly and then going forward like that. It makes me take higher casualties though.

Any ideas?

I don't have v.4.0 yet, but I read it has a consolidate squad button. Does that give back the ability to split into teams, even after the scouts are gone?

Wrestling with same dilemma...   But, using 2 man scouts is definitely a good idea as 2 men are less easily spotted than 4 or 5.  And it seems that the scouts are likely to die whether there are 2 or 4,

You need to also address your recon/scout "philosophy".  Do you split only one squad from every platoon as scouts so that the remaining squads from each platoon can be used normally?  Or, do you have one dedicated "scout" platoon and split all its squads into scouts?  Generally, a scout will operate beyond C2, so it doesn't really matter where its HQ is.

Secondly, do you use the large remainder of the split squad as the back-up for the 2 man scout team?   Or, keep em in reserve as a fire base for other assaulting squads which can still be split normally?

(If LMG's and snipers are available, it can be useful to use em as scouts as well.)

There are two main problems here: 

1: The remaining lumped-up squad is too big and cannot split further.

2: The German squads are built around the MG, designed to split into two teams, each with one MG for mutual support. After splitting off the scout team, I'm left with one huge team that has both MGs. Obviously that team has a good bullet output, but it also easily gets suppressed. The loss of tactical flexibility far outweighs the concentration of firepower.

I'm tempted to start using halftrack drivers, mortar ammo carriers etc. for scouts, but that just seems a bit gamey.

Edited by Bulletpoint

Just now, Bulletpoint said:

There are two main problems here: 

1: The remaining lumped-up squad is too big and cannot split further.

2: The German squads are built around the MG, designed to split into two teams, each with one MG. After splitting off the scout team, I'm left with a huge team that has two MGs. Obviously that team has a good bullet output, but also easily gets suppressed. The loss of tactical flexibility far outweighs the concentration of firepower.

yes and no.  I end up utilizing that team as a firebase to support other teams.  It has as you noted a lot of firepower and can give a tactical option superior than a simple split team with a single MG.  Be creative.  Use it in conjunction with other teams and don't try and utilize it the same as a standard split team.

On offense with only two teams in the squad TOE I generally use Assault Team for recon.  The lead assault team of the platoon takes recon (point).  They have the SMGs, most grenades and smoke grenades.  The B team follows behind providing overwatch.   The Assault Team moves to a terrain feature.  After the Assault Team arrives at the terrain feature then B team moves to the same (or very close) terrain feature.  The Assault Team moves to the next terrain feature. Then B team moves to the same (or very close) terrain feature. etc.  The remainder of the platoon follows behind with the Platoon HQ attempting to keep at least B team (of the point squad) in C2 since they are going to (hopefully) observe first contact.    

I generally only use Split Team with Germans when defending.  Then I can usually get two MG42 MG positions with this split.  

I dunno about RL, but in CM2 getting scouts KIA is usually how one locates an enemy position.  I hate losing a SMG and 3 other guys plus their grenades.  It's preferable to lose two riflemen. 

My SOP has been to split only one two-man scout team from each of the platoons of a formation (one company's worth - rarely any need to do that for all the platoons of a battalion).  The intact squads can then be split into assault teams, while the large remnant left after the two-man scout team is split off can be used to support the other squads of its platoon and as a reserve.

Edited by Erwin