Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • Battlefront.com

      Special Upgrade 4 Tech Tips   12/27/2016

      Hi all! Now that Upgrade 4 is out and about in large quantities we have now discovered a few SNAFUs that happen out in the scary, real world that is home computing.  Fortunately the rate of problems is extremely small and so far most are easily worked around.  We've identified a few issues that have similar causes which we have clear instructions for work arounds here they are: 1.  CMRT Windows customers need to re-license their original key.  This is a result of improvements to the licensing system which CMBN, CMBS, and CMFB are already using.  To do this launch CMRT with the Upgrade and the first time enter your Engine 4 key.  Exit and then use the "Activate New Products" shortcut in your CMRT folder, then enter your Engine 3 license key.  That should do the trick. 2.  CMRT and CMBN MacOS customers have a similar situation as #2, however the "Activate New Products" is inside the Documents folder in their respective CM folders.  For CMBN you have to go through the process described above for each of your license keys.  There is no special order to follow. 3.  For CMBS and CMFB customers, you need to use the Activate New Products shortcut and enter your Upgrade 4 key.  If you launch the game and see a screen that says "LICENSE FAILURE: Base Game 4.0 is required." that is an indication you haven't yet gone through that procedure.  Provided you had a properly functioning copy before installing the Upgrade, that should be all you need to do.  If in the future you have to install from scratch on a new system you'll need to do the same procedure for both your original license key and your Upgrade 4.0 key. 4.  There's always a weird one and here it is.  A few Windows users are not getting "Activate New Products" shortcuts created during installation.  Apparently anti-virus software is preventing the installer from doing its job.  This might not be a problem right now, but it will prove to be an issue at some point in the future.  The solution is to create your own shortcut using the following steps: Disable your anti-virus software before you do anything. Go to your Desktop, right click on the Desktop itself, select NEW->SHORTCUT, use BROWSE to locate the CM EXE that you are trying to fix. The location is then written out. After it type in a single space and then paste this:

      -showui

      Click NEXT and give your new Shortcut a name (doesn't matter what). Confirm that and you're done. Double click on the new Shortcut and you should be prompted to license whatever it is you need to license. At this time we have not identified any issues that have not been worked around.  Let's hope it stays that way Steve
    • Battlefront.com

      Forum Reorganization   10/12/2017

      We've reorganized our Combat Mission Forums to reflect the fact that most of you are now running Engine 4 and that means you're all using the same basic code.  Because of that, there's no good reason to have the discussion about Combat Mission spread out over 5 separate sets of Forums.  There is now one General Discussion area with Tech Support and Scenario/Mod Tips sub forums.  The Family specific Tech Support Forums have been moved to a new CM2 Archives area and frozen in place. You might also notice we dropped the "x" from distinguishing between the first generation of CM games and the second.  The "x" was reluctantly adopted back in 2005 or so because at the time we had the original three CM games on European store shelves entitled CM1, CM2, and CM3 (CMBO, CMBB, and CMAK).  We didn't want to cause confusion so we added the "x".  Time has moved on and we have to, so the "x" is now gone from our public vocabulary as it has been from our private vocabulary for quite a while already.  Side note, Charles *NEVER* used the "x" so now we're all speaking the same language as him.  Which is important since he is the one programming them
Wolfseven

can not play these game any more?

Recommended Posts

So 'runservice.exe' is present in your 'C:\Windows' directory, but you still get an error trying to start the 'LicCtrl Service' is that correct ? If you believe that the Windows Defender security software is causing a problem, then add an exception for 'runservice.exe' in Windows Defender. Have you added an exception within Avast for 'runservice.exe' ? Typically I wouldn't think it would be necessary, but you may want to try it just in case it may be interfering for some reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Schrullenhaft said:

So 'runservice.exe' is present in your 'C:\Windows' directory, but you still get an error trying to start the 'LicCtrl Service' is that correct ? If you believe that the Windows Defender security software is causing a problem, then add an exception for 'runservice.exe' in Windows Defender. Have you added an exception within Avast for 'runservice.exe' ? Typically I wouldn't think it would be necessary, but you may want to try it just in case it may be interfering for some reason.

doesn't work! you think I didn't do that? of course, I tried this, I think the exclude add an exception is broken as its broken in AVAST also. I'm considered a Windows expert. I'm not a computer novice, I been working with computers since Commador 64, and Tandy days. Trust me I know what I'm doing, and the old version of CM, will not work on Windows 10 CE. 

The new CM versions work with no problem, as they have the new and improved license update 64 bit. I believe BF knows this and is trying to avoid the problem of not upgrading this older license software as they don't want to pay for it. (the majority of players are on windows 7) their not experiencing this issue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was able to get the entire CMSF series installed and activated in Windows 10 Pro v. 1709 ('CE'). Avast needed to be disabled in order to install and activate the game/modules. Once the game was installed, activated and patched exceptions were added in Avast for the game directory (the individual game executable files didn't seem to need an explicit exception) and the game needed to be run with 'Run as administrator' privileges. 'Runservice.exe' also did NOT need an Avast exception. Nothing was changed in regards to Windows Defender (whatever version installs with Windows 10 Pro). CMSF was installed to its default directory within the 'Program Files (x86)' directory. Avast did flag the 1.21 patch before it was disabled (something it and a lot of other security programs do with that executable).

No other CM games were installed on this computer. The only security software installed is the free version of Avast and Malwarebytes (and whatever Windows Defender consists of). This computer also didn't have a lot of other software installed. Just browsers, Libre Office, Acrobat, Flash, possibly Java, etc. The 'LicCtrl Service' was started and running with no errors (a key to the problem being seen here). The 'runservice.exe' file is 16,384 bytes in size and has no special attributes set. The 'msvcr71.dll' (a Microsoft C Runtime library DLL) is 348,160 bytes in size, located in the 'C:\Windows' directory and has no special attributes set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Schrullenhaft said:

I was able to get the entire CMSF series installed and activated in Windows 10 Pro v. 1709 ('CE'). Avast needed to be disabled in order to install and activate the game/modules. Once the game was installed, activated and patched exceptions were added in Avast for the game directory (the individual game executable files didn't seem to need an explicit exception) and the game needed to be run with 'Run as administrator' privileges. 'Runservice.exe' also did NOT need an Avast exception. Nothing was changed in regards to Windows Defender (whatever version installs with Windows 10 Pro). CMSF was installed to its default directory within the 'Program Files (x86)' directory. Avast did flag the 1.21 patch before it was disabled (something it and a lot of other security programs do with that executable).

No other CM games were installed on this computer. The only security software installed is the free version of Avast and Malwarebytes (and whatever Windows Defender consists of). This computer also didn't have a lot of other software installed. Just browsers, Libre Office, Acrobat, Flash, possibly Java, etc. The 'LicCtrl Service' was started and running with no errors (a key to the problem being seen here). The 'runservice.exe' file is 16,384 bytes in size and has no special attributes set. The 'msvcr71.dll' (a Microsoft C Runtime library DLL) is 348,160 bytes in size, located in the 'C:\Windows' directory and has no special attributes set.

Schrullenhaft,

Your voluntary contributions to resolving software issues continue to amaze me. Your presence on this forum is quite the boon to the vast majority of us who don't have a fraction of your deep operating systems knowledge. Whether that contribution is recognized by those to whom your services are offered is a moot point. The rest of us recognize what you do and applaud you for it.

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, c3k said:

Schrullenhaft,

Your voluntary contributions to resolving software issues continue to amaze me. Your presence on this forum is quite the boon to the vast majority of us who don't have a fraction of your deep operating systems knowledge. Whether that contribution is recognized by those to whom your services are offered is a moot point. The rest of us recognize what you do and applaud you for it.

Thanks.

+1  @Schrullenhaft has helped me in the past.  I always thought he worked for BF.  Very knowledgeable, helpful forum member.   Especially since he is voluntarily helping others.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if you tried this already, but possibly performing a regedit to extend the length of time that Services waits for a service to start (default 30 seconds):

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/b146cc3b-09b1-48cc-b756-377369cc856b/error-1053-the-server-did-not-respond-to-the-start-or-control-request-in-a-timely-fashion?forum=win10itprohardware

Setting the 'ServicePipeTimeout' value beyond '30000' (30 seconds) to '180000' (3 minutes) should be enough for this solution. It's likely that this won't resolve the issue, but it is worth a try.

Normally any issues with DEP (Data Execution Prevention) result in a '0xc0000005' error. While it wasn't necessary for me, you may want to check out the Knowledgebase article on DEP. Make sure to add the 'runservice.exe' file to DEP to see if that makes any difference. It also likely that DEP is not the issue here, but again something that may be worth trying.

I would assume that you would run into other issues with this computer if there was some sort of widespread issue, but you may also want to try the System File Checker by opening a command prompt (cmd.exe) and typing in (without quotes) 'sfc /scannow'. Unfortunately this isn't a cure all and it is possible to get errors that don't have a simple/good resolution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Schrullenhaft said:

Not sure if you tried this already, but possibly performing a regedit to extend the length of time that Services waits for a service to start (default 30

Dude I am pretty much in awe of how much you know. How many brain cells does that take?  Not sure I have that many left. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×