can not play these game any more?

So 'runservice.exe' is present in your 'C:\Windows' directory, but you still get an error trying to start the 'LicCtrl Service' is that correct ? If you believe that the Windows Defender security software is causing a problem, then add an exception for 'runservice.exe' in Windows Defender. Have you added an exception within Avast for 'runservice.exe' ? Typically I wouldn't think it would be necessary, but you may want to try it just in case it may be interfering for some reason.

12 hours ago, Schrullenhaft said:

So 'runservice.exe' is present in your 'C:\Windows' directory, but you still get an error trying to start the 'LicCtrl Service' is that correct ? If you believe that the Windows Defender security software is causing a problem, then add an exception for 'runservice.exe' in Windows Defender. Have you added an exception within Avast for 'runservice.exe' ? Typically I wouldn't think it would be necessary, but you may want to try it just in case it may be interfering for some reason.

doesn't work! you think I didn't do that? of course, I tried this, I think the exclude add an exception is broken as its broken in AVAST also. I'm considered a Windows expert. I'm not a computer novice, I been working with computers since Commador 64, and Tandy days. Trust me I know what I'm doing, and the old version of CM, will not work on Windows 10 CE. 

The new CM versions work with no problem, as they have the new and improved license update 64 bit. I believe BF knows this and is trying to avoid the problem of not upgrading this older license software as they don't want to pay for it. (the majority of players are on windows 7) their not experiencing this issue. 

I was able to get the entire CMSF series installed and activated in Windows 10 Pro v. 1709 ('CE'). Avast needed to be disabled in order to install and activate the game/modules. Once the game was installed, activated and patched exceptions were added in Avast for the game directory (the individual game executable files didn't seem to need an explicit exception) and the game needed to be run with 'Run as administrator' privileges. 'Runservice.exe' also did NOT need an Avast exception. Nothing was changed in regards to Windows Defender (whatever version installs with Windows 10 Pro). CMSF was installed to its default directory within the 'Program Files (x86)' directory. Avast did flag the 1.21 patch before it was disabled (something it and a lot of other security programs do with that executable).

No other CM games were installed on this computer. The only security software installed is the free version of Avast and Malwarebytes (and whatever Windows Defender consists of). This computer also didn't have a lot of other software installed. Just browsers, Libre Office, Acrobat, Flash, possibly Java, etc. The 'LicCtrl Service' was started and running with no errors (a key to the problem being seen here). The 'runservice.exe' file is 16,384 bytes in size and has no special attributes set. The 'msvcr71.dll' (a Microsoft C Runtime library DLL) is 348,160 bytes in size, located in the 'C:\Windows' directory and has no special attributes set.

18 hours ago, Schrullenhaft said:

I was able to get the entire CMSF series installed and activated in Windows 10 Pro v. 1709 ('CE'). Avast needed to be disabled in order to install and activate the game/modules. Once the game was installed, activated and patched exceptions were added in Avast for the game directory (the individual game executable files didn't seem to need an explicit exception) and the game needed to be run with 'Run as administrator' privileges. 'Runservice.exe' also did NOT need an Avast exception. Nothing was changed in regards to Windows Defender (whatever version installs with Windows 10 Pro). CMSF was installed to its default directory within the 'Program Files (x86)' directory. Avast did flag the 1.21 patch before it was disabled (something it and a lot of other security programs do with that executable).

No other CM games were installed on this computer. The only security software installed is the free version of Avast and Malwarebytes (and whatever Windows Defender consists of). This computer also didn't have a lot of other software installed. Just browsers, Libre Office, Acrobat, Flash, possibly Java, etc. The 'LicCtrl Service' was started and running with no errors (a key to the problem being seen here). The 'runservice.exe' file is 16,384 bytes in size and has no special attributes set. The 'msvcr71.dll' (a Microsoft C Runtime library DLL) is 348,160 bytes in size, located in the 'C:\Windows' directory and has no special attributes set.

Schrullenhaft,

Your voluntary contributions to resolving software issues continue to amaze me. Your presence on this forum is quite the boon to the vast majority of us who don't have a fraction of your deep operating systems knowledge. Whether that contribution is recognized by those to whom your services are offered is a moot point. The rest of us recognize what you do and applaud you for it.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, c3k said:

Schrullenhaft,

Your voluntary contributions to resolving software issues continue to amaze me. Your presence on this forum is quite the boon to the vast majority of us who don't have a fraction of your deep operating systems knowledge. Whether that contribution is recognized by those to whom your services are offered is a moot point. The rest of us recognize what you do and applaud you for it.

Thanks.

+1  @Schrullenhaft has helped me in the past.  I always thought he worked for BF.  Very knowledgeable, helpful forum member.   Especially since he is voluntarily helping others.  

Not sure if you tried this already, but possibly performing a regedit to extend the length of time that Services waits for a service to start (default 30 seconds):

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/b146cc3b-09b1-48cc-b756-377369cc856b/error-1053-the-server-did-not-respond-to-the-start-or-control-request-in-a-timely-fashion?forum=win10itprohardware

Setting the 'ServicePipeTimeout' value beyond '30000' (30 seconds) to '180000' (3 minutes) should be enough for this solution. It's likely that this won't resolve the issue, but it is worth a try.

Normally any issues with DEP (Data Execution Prevention) result in a '0xc0000005' error. While it wasn't necessary for me, you may want to check out the Knowledgebase article on DEP. Make sure to add the 'runservice.exe' file to DEP to see if that makes any difference. It also likely that DEP is not the issue here, but again something that may be worth trying.

I would assume that you would run into other issues with this computer if there was some sort of widespread issue, but you may also want to try the System File Checker by opening a command prompt (cmd.exe) and typing in (without quotes) 'sfc /scannow'. Unfortunately this isn't a cure all and it is possible to get errors that don't have a simple/good resolution.

10 minutes ago, Schrullenhaft said:

Not sure if you tried this already, but possibly performing a regedit to extend the length of time that Services waits for a service to start (default 30

Dude I am pretty much in awe of how much you know. How many brain cells does that take?  Not sure I have that many left. 

• 3 months later...
On 1/30/2018 at 7:12 PM, Schrullenhaft said:

Not sure if you tried this already, but possibly performing a regedit to extend the length of time that Services waits for a service to start (default 30 seconds):

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/b146cc3b-09b1-48cc-b756-377369cc856b/error-1053-the-server-did-not-respond-to-the-start-or-control-request-in-a-timely-fashion?forum=win10itprohardware

Setting the 'ServicePipeTimeout' value beyond '30000' (30 seconds) to '180000' (3 minutes) should be enough for this solution. It's likely that this won't resolve the issue, but it is worth a try.

Normally any issues with DEP (Data Execution Prevention) result in a '0xc0000005' error. While it wasn't necessary for me, you may want to check out the Knowledgebase article on DEP. Make sure to add the 'runservice.exe' file to DEP to see if that makes any difference. It also likely that DEP is not the issue here, but again something that may be worth trying.

I would assume that you would run into other issues with this computer if there was some sort of widespread issue, but you may also want to try the System File Checker by opening a command prompt (cmd.exe) and typing in (without quotes) 'sfc /scannow'. Unfortunately this isn't a cure all and it is possible to get errors that don't have a simple/good resolution.

unfortunately all the other BF games work just only this one Shock Force stopped work and still doesn't work. windows 10 killed it. So Im out a game that will not run on my machine.

19 hours ago, Schrullenhaft said:

Do you have CMA (Afghanistan) ? If so, does it work ? It uses the same copy-protection system as CMSF and its engine is the closest to CMSF compared to the latter games (CMBN on).

yep it's not working either both those titles were killed by some code that's restricting its use after that big update back in November of 2017. 

• 3 weeks later...

Windows 10 Home here 1709 16299.431 running SF with all modules 1.32 and CMA 1.03 in admin modes (they´ll launch even without admin mode) with active avast without problems and no exceptions were needed. This machine went trough the same windows update cycles last year like yours.

I just peeked at the rest of the comments so perhaps you already answered these:

- what is the current error message

- You mentioned a reinstall was attempted. Where on the hdd is it excactly installed with complete path?

- You´re sure you´re running a correctly patched CMSF 1.32 and CMA 1.03? How many .brz files are in your data folders.

- Did you try to kill off any background processes in the task manager that are not crucial for operating windows? I am also talking about can things like additional management software provided from your computer/hardware manufactures.

- supplementary to the previous suggestion, did you check the software list if there is any unwanted installed?

- is your value 1 or 0 for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\LoadAppInit_DLLs

Edited by MANoWAR.U51

it doesn't matter any longer CMSF2 is around the corner.

the error if you must know is #1000042 same error I have been getting since last October 2017, 

believe me I have tried everything. 

I have moved on......money lost...

Edited by Wolfseven

8 hours ago, Wolfseven said:

it doesn't matter any longer CMSF2 is around the corner.

the error if you must know is #1000042 same error I have been getting since last October 2017, 

believe me I have tried everything. 

I have moved on......money lost...

Bummer man, sorry to hear that, but the good news as you noted is CMSF2 is coming soon, is way better and you'll get a very hefty discount.  Once you have that, you won't want to be bothered with CMSF1 anymore.   I am planning a special deletion ceremony for my copy once CMSF2 is GA.  It has served me well.

13 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Have to admit, once Al Hutumah's done I'll probably never look at it again, but I'll still keep the install.

I keep remembering all the ways the new game will be better, but I guess I'm just a bit sentimental about the old one.....It's like a faithful old dog!  :P

Hence my giving it a send off. CMSF was the start of CM2 and as soon as I loaded it I knew I was done with CMx1 games.  I’d give it a Viking send off but burning the plastic wouldn’t go over well. 

Edited by sburke

CMSF was my first intro to CM.  I had tried the demo, quite by accident, around 2002 or so, but not knowing game forums were there for help (they seemed mainly for jerks who harped about everything—present forum excepted, as it turned out), I didn’t think much of a “gaming table” floating in space with Moe, Larry, and Curly marching stiffly about and no instructions, so I spent all of 5 minutes on it!

Anyway, in January 2008, I had planned a week off work, mostly to catch up on painting miniatures (wife gone all day at work—no interruptions or distractions).  So 8:00am, coffee in hand, I surf the web for some AFV images and I find a YouTube vid of what was obviously some sort of super realistic looking animated Bradley laying some bitchin’ fire on some Iraqis (I thought). W...T...F is this? Quick search, voila!...I’m landing a US Marine recon team on a Syrian beach within the hour, and played it all the rest of the week.  Up until then, I had been a hardcore IL2 Sturmovik fanatic since 2000. I only went back to that game for about 2 months right before CMBN came out.

Thing is, I never really cared to game, or even read much on any modern warfare past Vietnam. CMSF truly opened up a whole new world for me. I have a pretty extensive home library section on modern wars now, and many modern war miniatures to boot! I better get to painting some of them before the end of July!

• 3 months later...