Porting Maps

I have a large group of CMFI QB maps that were ported over to CMBS...and also a pretty good group of CMFB QB maps.  but only a couple of CMBN...as I recall there were a LOT of unique features (bridges, etc) in the CMBN MG and CW modules that made those very tricky to port...also lots of CMRT maps ported to CMBS too...those are at least the same basic geography.

Edited by grunt_GI

4 hours ago, 76mm said:

I don't really see what the issue is, at least for some conversions...for all of the games I've bought, I've converted most of the maps to CMRT...I've paid for the maps, have I not?  For games I haven't bought, I've downloaded a few user-made maps, mainly to see if they could be converted.  So far all of the maps I tried could be converted other than CMBN, none of which worked.

That said, I would not distribute converted maps, at least unless I was sure that the recipient already had the game from which the maps were converted.

I don't disagree there.  If you have bought the game, you bought the maps.  If you move them between titles you own I doubt BF cares at all.  They may not care one bit on the overall discussion either.  This has been discussed enough on this forum that I would think if they had a strong position they would have stated it.  For me personally it goes to the last point you made, distribution of maps to those who have not purchased the content.  A lot of effort goes into their creation and the qb map plans.  I think that distributing those is problematic, but again that is strictly my personal opinion.

For us the problem isn't so much whether someone paid for the use of the maps or not, the problem is with each Family having a different terrain set.  The more specific a map is to a particular setting, the less likely it can move to another setting without problems.

I double checked with Charles and, sadly, the status quo is not going to change.  Maps made with one Family can not be guaranteed to run with another Family.  The problem is with the specific sub components of the terrain not being the same from one Family to the other.  We have done some temporary hacks to get some maps to move over in a "one time" move, but that's not feasible for players as it was messy and done outside of CM's code.

Steve