Porting Maps

Is there an established way to port maps now? The player made maps for CMBN i find fantastic. In addition, the master maps for CMBN are the best of the best. I wish to port them to Black Sea. 

ALSO: I have tried changing a byte in a hex editor but the master maps seem to crash still. I haven't tried porting the maps over for a couple months, so I don't remember exactly what I did. 

Thanks guys. 

I actually spent some time and got the python script btt_mutilator to work. It translated all the FI and RT master maps just fine.

I havent checked the integrity of all the maps in CMBS yet. I know Operation Linnet (BP1?) Asks for a module every time. Is there a workaround for this?

If anyone needs a hand with the Python script I can explain what I did. It was pretty simple.

Update:

Gustav line master map pack: Works fine in 3d editor.

Market Garden map pack: Johanna Hoeve, Oosterhout works. Nijmegen maps won't load into 3d editor (With or without bridges). Oosterbeek won't load into 3d. 

Red Thunder maps: Work like a charm. These seem to be the best suited for CMBS. Go figure.

The rest of the downloaded maps are hit and miss. (I downloaded every map I could from Thefewgoodmen)

If anyone could lend a hand helping us to get the MG and BP1 maps working that would be great! :)

Edited by Artkin

On 12/1/2017 at 8:32 PM, Artkin said:

Is there an established way to port maps now? The player made maps for CMBN i find fantastic. In addition, the master maps for CMBN are the best of the best. I wish to port them to Black Sea. 

ALSO: I have tried changing a byte in a hex editor but the master maps seem to crash still. I haven't tried porting the maps over for a couple months, so I don't remember exactly what I did. 

Thanks guys. 

I did some porting a while back and found that unique, non-modular buildings, would cause the editor to crash.

A modular building (2x2, for example) appears to be standard in the code and have a texture per game. While the unique buildings (Orthodox Church, for example) is unique to the game and will crash if brought to a different game. It has been a while, but I also believe that any terrain tile that isn't present in the game will also cause a crash. So a snow tile will crash a game that doesn't have one.

3 hours ago, Pelican Pal said:

I did some porting a while back and found that unique, non-modular buildings, would cause the editor to crash.

Do you have a solution to remove these? Probably none but I figured I'd ask anyway.

One could remove all the buildings and replace them, but that would surely take a whole afternoon for a MG map. :(

2 hours ago, Ales Dvorak said:

I was talking about scenarios... my bad. :(

No problem at all! I still don't think it's right. Wanted to know the general consensus around here. Not sure I should upload my converted maps to make it easier for others.

I've purchased CMBN, CMBS, CMSF1, and CMFB.  Currently I like playing huge maps in CMBS and have just about run out of huge maps to play.  In my opinion the biggest flaw in CM games is that the maps are too small on average.  I like room to maneuver and the unpredictability of huge maps though granted they are taxing if playing the AI.  If I had my way we would have 5k by 10k maps, particularly useful for the long range and mobility of modern weapons.  That not being possible I am hoping to acquire the best huge maps for CMBS possible.  I particularly would  like the Stavelot and Stoumont master maps from CMFB to use in CMBS.  I once cobbled together a 4K by 8K operation in CMAK of the same area but don't have that kind of time anymore to work on maps.  I maybe could work on a QBmap or scenario on an existing map though.  But if Battlefront folks feel porting maps between games is not fair then I can respect that.  Just some thoughts.

20 hours ago, Artkin said:

Do you have a solution to remove these? Probably none but I figured I'd ask anyway.

One could remove all the buildings and replace them, but that would surely take a whole afternoon for a MG map. :(

No problem at all! I still don't think it's right. Wanted to know the general consensus around here. Not sure I should upload my converted maps to make it easier for others.

You don't need to remove every building. Only the unique pre-made buildings. This is annoying but not prohibitive on most maps. Any of the modular buildings can remain.

If terrain tiles are causing issues I suspect that you can mass paint the offending area with a basic terrain type.

3 hours ago, Pelican Pal said:

You don't need to remove every building. Only the unique pre-made buildings. This is annoying but not prohibitive on most maps. Any of the modular buildings can remain.

The problem is - I don't know which buildings aren't modular. And secondly, I don't have some of the titles for these maps.. So I couldn't even look in their respective editors to locate the culprit. 

Note: I sure hope Steve doesn't think less of me after that comment. I really enjoy getting additional licenses to play with friends!!! ;)

On 12/5/2017 at 7:08 PM, Artkin said:

The problem is - I don't know which buildings aren't modular. And secondly, I don't have some of the titles for these maps.. So I couldn't even look in their respective editors to locate the culprit. 

Note: I sure hope Steve doesn't think less of me after that comment. I really enjoy getting additional licenses to play with friends!!! ;)

Ah, yea. I have CM:BN and CM:BS so I might try doing a port one of these days. 

I'm not sure if you saw these, but I made a port of a series of CM:RT maps that may be of some interest to you. 

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 4:22 PM, Artkin said:

Well it is a question for sure.  For example for the battle packs a good portion of the pay content is the maps so "hacking" the game to get maps that you haven't paid for is questionable behavior.  You don't however get the full content in terms of scenarios and campaigns obviously.  That is one of the reasons I don't touch the conversions.  BF would have to say whether they have an issue or not but for me it crosses a personal line.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone tried porting CMSF maps, or maps to CMSF? 

I made a map for CMFB I'm rather proud of that I want to remake in CMSF for a scenario idea I have, but if its possible I would like to save myself a lot of time and just port it from CMFB to CMSF. 

Anyone know if this is possible? I haven't tried porting maps before, so any instructions on how to do it if possible would be appreciated. 

@IICptMillerII  I tried once to port something from either CMRT of CMFB I think and got a big fat fail using the hex editor method that appeared in the first of the many threads on this subject.

Some CMSF maps can be ported to the newer titles though - The Abu Susah scenario was successfully ported to CMRT with the Stryker Infantry swapped over for Sdkfz 251 equipped panzer grenadiers. You can get it here:

http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/tsd3/cm-red-thunder/cm-red-thunder-add-ons-scenarios/ambush-2/

My lack of success of course could be due to my ineptitude so I wouldn't say it is impossible but I've yet to hear (and have asked the same question) of anyone successfully porting from the WW2 titles to CMSF. Trust me, if it is possible, I really want to hear about it because map making is the biggest PITA in CMSF scenario and campaign making and I can't wait for CMSF 2 to come out.

Edited by Combatintman

It's a good method for map designers - and much appreciated by those of us who have played through most of the QB maps in the earlier games, especially given the AI plans for the newer titles are more advanced than the older titles like CMBN - but trying to port maps that are full of flavour objects and tiles specific to one game is not worth the effort, ASAICT.

On 12/10/2017 at 7:52 PM, sburke said:

For example for the battle packs a good portion of the pay content is the maps so "hacking" the game to get maps that you haven't paid for is questionable behavior.  You don't however get the full content in terms of scenarios and campaigns obviously.  That is one of the reasons I don't touch the conversions.  BF would have to say whether they have an issue or not but for me it crosses a personal line.

I don't really see what the issue is, at least for some conversions...for all of the games I've bought, I've converted most of the maps to CMRT...I've paid for the maps, have I not?  For games I haven't bought, I've downloaded a few user-made maps, mainly to see if they could be converted.  So far all of the maps I tried could be converted other than CMBN, none of which worked.

That said, I would not distribute converted maps, at least unless I was sure that the recipient already had the game from which the maps were converted.