Indirect Fire

On December 2, 2017 at 8:09 AM, MOS:96B2P said:

With a wall I could never really target the wall.  The target line always snapped back to an action spot.

The same with hedges and bocage. Direct fire works that way too. But when units self-target, they are able to shoot precisely at enemy units behind the obstruction as long as they can spot them.

Michael

I'm playing a game at the moment where I have an on map 75mm howitzer team. I have a C2 link to it via radio with my FO but I'm really restricted as to what I can target with it. I can get line of sight to multiple locations (from my FO) but I struggle to get line of fire. When I did finally get it to target a building, it fired in a really low trajectory arc narrowly missing buildings with my own troops in.

I'm playing a scenario, so the designer intended for the howitzer to be on the map.

I thought a howitzer would behave more like a mortar, ie would have a high trajectory, but it acts more like a field gun. If its meant to be used as a field gun then why is it showing up in the artillery panel, am I missing something?

3 hours ago, Josey Wales said:

I'm playing a game at the moment where I have an on map 75mm howitzer team. I have a C2 link to it via radio with my FO but I'm really restricted as to what I can target with it. I can get line of sight to multiple locations (from my FO) but I struggle to get line of fire. When I did finally get it to target a building, it fired in a really low trajectory arc narrowly missing buildings with my own troops in.

I'm playing a scenario, so the designer intended for the howitzer to be on the map.

I thought a howitzer would behave more like a mortar, ie would have a high trajectory, but it acts more like a field gun. If its meant to be used as a field gun then why is it showing up in the artillery panel, am I missing something?

There is a minimum range for howitzers to be able to fire indirectly. Are you sure the AS you are targeting is beyond that range? Also, have you moved the howitzer during the game?

Michael

Edited by Michael Emrys

8 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

There is a minimum range for howitzers to be able to fire indirectly. Are you sure the AS you are targeting is beyond that range? Also, have you moved the howitzer during the game?

Michael

It could be that I am targeting within the minimum range for the howitzer. There doesn't appear to be any information in the manual regarding minimum ranges so I can't be 100% sure about that, however it seems the most plausible answer

Yes I've moved the howitzer laterally to see if that had any effect on its ability to get line of fire but it didn't. I can't move it further back as its at the edge of the map and moving it forward would put it in a direct firefight with tanks & infantry. It can direct fire over to the other side of the map (medium sized) much like an AT gun (flat trajectory).

17 hours ago, Josey Wales said:

Is it a "Pack" howitzer? If it is, then it won't have the same capabilities trajectory wise as a standard "Field" howitzer, to the best of my knowledge. Not that we had modern field pieces when I was fighting Charlie Stewart.

6 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Is it a "Pack" howitzer? If it is, then it won't have the same capabilities trajectory wise as a standard "Field" howitzer, to the best of my knowledge. Not that we had modern field pieces when I was fighting Charlie Stewart.

Yes its a pack howitzer, I've run some tests and figured out the issue. Basically the problem I am having is that it will always fire a shell on a relatively flat trajectory and the LOF is blocked if there is anything in the flight path such as trees or buildings. It looks like this can be overcome by careful placement, however I think the map I am playing on is too small and cluttered to really see any benefit. I can certainly see the benefit of having a battery of these on a larger less cluttered map as they can be used both directly (like an AT of Anti Infantry gun) and indirectly except their fire follows a much flatter trajectory than a mortar.

16 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Obviously, the main job of the "Pack" was give the Airborne a chance of hitting back until they could establish Radio contact with heavier arty.

The pack howitzer was also used by mountain troops or any troops in especially difficult terrain, like jungle. They could be broken down into "pack" loads and carried by mules or horses. In most armies they tended to get replaced by mortars as time went on as those were even more portable.

Michael