CMBS won't run

Darmok54

At IanL's suggestion I'm putting this here, so apologies for repeating the post from the CMBS forum.

I picked up a copy of this today but when trying to run the program or the activation utility I get this message (see attached) and immediate CTD.

Please help! 

I have an i7-7700, GTX 1080, Windows 10, demo ran like butter. 

I have opened a support ticket as well. 

IMG_9387.jpg

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Is it my imagination or does that error refer to the Source SDK from Valve?  Some sort of conflict perhaps?

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SDK_Installation

Could be but I wouldn’t think so, I certainly never (intentionally) installed that. Is there a way I could check? What does the SDK do? I’m confused because I don’t have a c/edisk directory. I have Steam but it’s installed on a different drive, and looking online the one and only place I’ve ever seen this error referred to is for CMBS. 

Even if there were a conflict though wouldn’t it interfere with the demo too? The demo runs fine.

(sorry, I am the OP, I was having email issues so I have two accounts) 

Edited by CaptainKoloth

There is mention of 'GS5' in the path that the error references, which appears to be related to the copy-protection system that CMBS uses. The original thread for this issue mentions the only other report of this problem (on the forums), which one user mentioned the Nahamic audio control software (that came with some MSI motherboards and laptops, among others). I can only guess that there is some software on the computer that is interfering with the copy-protection system. Perhaps post a screenshot of the Task Manager's 'Processes' tab (or multiple screenshots to show all of the loaded executables). This should be accessible by Ctrl-Alt-Del and then selecting 'Task Manager' and then going to the Processes tab. If you do screen shots, you'll need to paste the first one into some sort of document before scrolling down the list and taking the next screenshot.

I believe that the Demo may have a similar copy-protection incorporated into it, but it doesn't call up any sort of licensing function. What security software (anti-virus and/or firewall) are you running ? 

1 hour ago, Schrullenhaft said:

There is mention of 'GS5' in the path that the error references, which appears to be related to the copy-protection system that CMBS uses. The original thread for this issue mentions the only other report of this problem (on the forums), which one user mentioned the Nahamic audio control software (that came with some MSI motherboards and laptops, among others). I can only guess that there is some software on the computer that is interfering with the copy-protection system. Perhaps post a screenshot of the Task Manager's 'Processes' tab (or multiple screenshots to show all of the loaded executables). This should be accessible by Ctrl-Alt-Del and then selecting 'Task Manager' and then going to the Processes tab. If you do screen shots, you'll need to paste the first one into some sort of document before scrolling down the list and taking the next screenshot.

I believe that the Demo may have a similar copy-protection incorporated into it, but it doesn't call up any sort of licensing function. What security software (anti-virus and/or firewall) are you running ? 

Here's a screenshot of every process I have running. I have Norton, but it always gives me a message if it blocks something and I exempted that folder from it so I don't think it should be that. 

screen1.png

screen2.png

screen3.png

screen4.png

screen5.png

screen6.png

I figured it out! On the theory that, as with the other case, an audio program might be interfering, I closed Sonic Studio 2. Once I did that, it worked. So that was the interfering program. It must have indeed been interfering with the DRM since the demo worked with Sonic Studio 2 on. So if anyone else encounters this problem in the future, look for Sonic Studio 2 or similar audio management program. Sonic Studio 2 is an Asus program that came with my gaming computer so I suspect people with gaming PCs may be especially vulnerable to this problem (as with the aforementioned MSI issue).