18 hours ago, sburke said:

The manual is pretty clear and there is nothing there to support any difference between wia and kia.  Wia are in fact included as casualties. Lightly wounded (yellow base) are not.  That is not opinion. If anyone wants to argue different (and against the data presented by the OP) feel free, but you’ll need more than a feeling of recollection. 

Can buddy aid change WIA to lightly wounded?  Then it would be worth something...

6 minutes ago, wadepm said:

Can buddy aid change WIA to lightly wounded?  Then it would be worth something...

No buddy Aid can't change a WIA (red base) to a walking wounded (yellow base).  Buddy Aid will keep a WIA from becoming a KIA.  However both KIA and WIA are counted as casualties so the score does not change.  The AAR screen will count KIA and WIA separately but they are both counted as casualties for scoring purposes.   

On 11/22/2017 at 10:15 AM, IanL said:

No, using this animation *does* change the survivability of medics. It does so because their model is used for hit testing and if they are lying down they will get hit less. Especially with a low wall involved like the mod page's screen shot.

First sorry to side track the thread once again, but I've read different things regarding this issue as well. Ian, also sorry to doubt you but is this certain? Does changing the animation indeed change the behind the scene 3d model the game sees and make the buddy-aider harder to hit ?

16 minutes ago, Sequoia said:

First sorry to side track the thread once again, but I've read different things regarding this issue as well. Ian, also sorry to doubt you but is this certain? Does changing the animation indeed change the behind the scene 3d model the game sees and make the buddy-aider harder to hit ?

The solider model is used for hit testing. More goes into the calculation of the results but it "starts" with does the projectile hit the model. Since the animation controls the position of the model then yes, the mod will change the results of getting hits. Not in a "now this guy is un-hit-albe because he is a god" way but in a "if you are lying down and a bullet goes buy at waist height you will not be hit but if you had been kneeling it would have" way.

Yes. The animation applies to all soldiers so both sides soldiers will be using the mod on the machine that has it. So if the mod is on the machine that is calculating the turn every solider performing buddy aid will be treated the same - treated as being prone. If the machine doing the calculation does not have the mod then every solider performing buddy aid will be treated the same - as kneeling.

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 1:36 PM, Erwin said:

Agreed.  It just seems the right thing to do.  Maybe in CM3 that could make a difference.  Hopefully. BF makes notes on all ideas and will implement what is practical.

If I know these guys at all, they have a thousand page document with every single idea ever posited on the forums floating around somewhere.

There was an old Amiga500 game where each of your little dead soldiers would get a little cross on a hill on the opening screen. As you kept playing, the number of crosses would grow. Maybe CM could do something similar, so we could at least save some of them from getting a cross there.

No, of course I'm not really serious. But I thought it was a poignant touch for an arcade game back then. Made my little stupid kid brain start to think about more than beating the highscore.

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 11:19 AM, Bulletpoint said:

There was an old Amiga500 game where each of your little dead soldiers would get a little cross on a hill on the opening screen.
As you kept playing, the number of crosses would grow.

Old games often have an artistry not seen anymore.
Pity, because that is some heavy sh*t. :(

Since buddy aid does affect the number of men KIA vs WIA, the game must be tracking the number of men who received buddy aid. If this is true, I wonder if it would be possible to have this stat show up on the AAR screen to show us how many men survived due to buddy aid. 

I don't think it should have any impact on the score of the game as the AI does not move any of its men over an action square or two to give buddy aid.

4 hours ago, Heirloom_Tomato said:

I wonder if it would be possible to have this stat show up on the AAR screen to show us how many men survived due to buddy aid. 

Like this idea if not complex to implement.  Nice to see how humane one is...

1 hour ago, Michael Emrys said:

Nearly all areas of popular entertainment have been "industrialized" to the point of being lifeless and soulless to one degree or another.

We sound like our parents...  Remember how they could not understand Beatles era music?  Wasn't music, "just noise".    :unsure:

Edited by Erwin

23 hours ago, Heirloom_Tomato said:

Since buddy aid does affect the number of men KIA vs WIA, the game must be tracking the number of men who received buddy aid.

Another possibility is that after buddy aid a KIA or WIA soldier model is removed from the battlefield and thus their status can no longer be changed by in game action. Other WIA soldiers who are still on the battlefield because they have not received buddy aid could end up being killed during the action of the game. In which case there is no number of soldiers who received buddy aid to report only some number of KIA and WIA soldiers that can be counted at the end.

It can be a little frustrating how difficult it can be to get units to perform buddy aid sometimes, particularly when the buddy is kind of on the boundary of two action squares. I've had cases where the troops are not green, not of poor morale and not under fire, within close proximity to the wounded man - I move them from square to square but they still refuse to notice the wounded guy.

Are any units more likely than others - officers for example - to give buddy aid..?

2 minutes ago, Freyberg said:

It can be a little frustrating how difficult it can be to get units to perform buddy aid sometimes, particularly when the buddy is kind of on the boundary of two action squares. I've had cases where the troops are not green, not of poor morale and not under fire, within close proximity to the wounded man - I move them from square to square but they still refuse to notice the wounded guy.

Are any units more likely than others - officers for example - to give buddy aid..?

I don't think unit type matters.  Below is a method you can use to encourage your troops to administer Buddy Aid.  I think I learned this from @IanL 

For buddy aid if the casualty is not in or near the center of the action spot I give the unit I want to perform buddy aid a Slow order to an action square that takes them directly over the casualty. Then I give them a pause of 20s, 30s or 45s depending on how far away the casualty is. Push the BRB. In the next command phase they will be directly over the casualty.  Then cancel the remaining Slow order and issue a Face command.

51 minutes ago, MOS:96B2P said:

I don't think unit type matters.  Below is a method you can use to encourage your troops to administer Buddy Aid.  I think I learned this from @IanL 

For buddy aid if the casualty is not in or near the center of the action spot I give the unit I want to perform buddy aid a Slow order to an action square that takes them directly over the casualty. Then I give them a pause of 20s, 30s or 45s depending on how far away the casualty is. Push the BRB. In the next command phase they will be directly over the casualty.  Then cancel the remaining Slow order and issue a Face command.

Yes - I sometimes find myself doing things like this.

1 hour ago, Freyberg said:

Oh, they notice them all right. These are the men who no one likes. They're shirkers, card sharks, degenerates, and/or owe money, or dated their sisters...and then told everyone all about it. 

The lesson? Don't be that guy.