Jerky camera?

I've been really interested in CMA for a while so I tried out the demo, but the camera is just incredibly jerky to the point where I find it essentially unusable. Doesn't matter if I use mouse or keyboard to control it. I'm running a GTX 1080 so I'm quite certain it's not a performance issue. I saw the 1.03 patch claims to make the camera smoother, can anyone speak to whether and how much of a difference that patch actually makes? I have CMBS and the problem doesn't exist there, so it's not some general CM thing I'm not used to.

I am running the full game at 1.03 with an 8GB MSI GTX 1080 GAMING X, and a i7-7700k CPU. I loaded one of the bigger city maps, and it scrolled about like it does in any of the other games. It definitely didn't stutter, or skip, or freeze. As far as I remember the game was released before the demo so most of us never even tried it, we were already playing the full version.

Check and see if you have "High Priority Process" enabled in the options. If you do, turn it off and see what happens. If you don't, turn it on and see what happens. That was an old feature that was kinda needed in the early days of the engine, but then became a problem, at least for me. The engine is so old at this point it could be a problem turned on or off, depending.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

8 hours ago, CaptainKoloth said:

Thanks. Anyone compared it directly to the demo? 

Ok. I DLed the demo, and ran some tests on the Bear/Wasp scenario. I ran with different variations of model and texture quality, high priority process on and off, and vertical sync on and off. I played through about 7 turns giving lots of move orders to all the vehicles, plus infantry disembarking and what not. I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. It all functioned normal for me. I will say though, that it didn't feel as fluid as later games (frame rate wise), like CMBS and RT, but that I believe is due more to the age of the engine at this version in time and not a conflict. SF is the same way.

However, I do gotta say, Snowball, really cheaped out on the textures they used. I forgot how depressingly basic the uniform and face quality in this game is. It's too bad BFC couldn't buy the rights, or talk SB into bringing this one over to 4.0. It really is a unique (and rare period) addition to the CM family.

Mord.

+1 re the face quality.  I don't understand what Snowball did.  I think that uniforms can be modded(?).  I have Soviet uniform mods for CMA.  But it seems that the faces of the ANA are done in a manner incompatible with the other titles.  If you use CMSF face mods in CMA, they come out very weird. 

UI seems to be compatible.  I successfully use the CMSF weapons silhouettes with range and caliber.  I think CMA buildings may be compatible with CMSF.  Haven't tried using vehicles from any of the other titles.  Not sure if the era would be correct. 

8 hours ago, CaptainKoloth said:

Thanks Mord! Appreciate it. 

You are welcome. My guess is there might be some issue with your hardware config. That's all I can think of. The only way you are gonna know is if you buy the main title, but I don't see how it'll be much different from the demo. But you never know. It's a gamble. You are gonna have to decide whether it's worth it.

3 hours ago, Erwin said:

+1 re the face quality.  I don't understand what Snowball did.

They basically phoned it in. The textures are 256x256 but even so, they just don't have any, well, texture to them.

3 hours ago, Erwin said:

I think that uniforms can be modded(?). 

ALL CM2 bmps (and wavs) can be modded. It's no different than any of the other titles. The ones they made (uniforms especially) are just so smooth and flat looking. The shoulder boards on the Russian infantry is a glaring example, looks like someone just filled a rectangle with a red color in Adobe and called it good. It's something a  first time modder would do not a professional game artist. The original uniforms in CMBO were done better.

I am usually very lenient in my criticism of CM graphics (which I actually find very nice in the other titles) but CMA's stuff is just poorly done. Take a look at the wheels on some of the tanks some time.

3 hours ago, Erwin said:

I have Soviet uniform mods for CMA.  But it seems that the faces of the ANA are done in a manner incompatible with the other titles.  If you use CMSF face mods in CMA, they come out very weird. 

They pretty much mirrored them, which doesn't make much sense considering the Muj and Soviet faces are presented like SF faces.

3 hours ago, Erwin said:

Haven't tried using vehicles from any of the other titles.  Not sure if the era would be correct. 

I don't ever swap vehicles out of the games, never see a need for it.

From what I gather though, model swapping sounds like it's over in the newer titles. I haven't tested it but I read something Vein posted and I am pretty sure that was his finding. So, no mixed Syrian Combatants in SF2.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

1 hour ago, Mord said:

You are welcome. My guess is there might be some issue with your hardware config. That's all I can think of. The only way you are gonna know is if you buy the main title, but I don't see how it'll be much different from the demo. But you never know. It's a gamble. You are gonna have to decide whether it's worth it.

Believe it or not I too have an MSI Gaming X 8G 1080 so I don't know why this CM and the others look so different to my eye. I did mess with the settings in the demo but they didn't seem to make much difference, I'm not sure what else it could be. Still on the fence; $35 is a lot but it is an interesting and underrepresented conflict.

Do you play CMSF on your comp? If not try that demo and see how that runs. And maybe check your settings in Nvidia control panel, see if you have something on that may be conflicting.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

4 hours ago, Mord said:

Do you play CMSF on your comp? If not try that demo and see how that runs. And maybe check your settings in Nvidia control panel, see if you have something on that may be conflicting.

Mord.

I don't know exactly what changed, but inspired by the knowledge you have played this more smoothly on the same graphics card, I uninstalled and reinstalled the demo and it seems to be running quite a bit more smoothly now!

Cool. Glad it worked out.

I've had bad installs a few times with CMSF and CMBN but it was always due to screwing up the patch order.

So, you can pan, and rotate and the like without it sticking?

Mord.

4 hours ago, Mord said:

Do you have any way to take a video? If I could see it I could compare it with how mine runs.

Mord.

Did this the old-fashioned way so it isn't great... here is CMBS scrolling vs. CMA for me with the same settings. It's not quite as visible as it is in person though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcohYJR1p_s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5A05gFCoaU

I can't tell for sure from the short video but it seems to me like you should be scrolling faster on both of them. If you keep one of the keys pushed in (WASD) do you start to go faster or was that as fast as you ever get?

Mord.

Edited by Mord

On ‎20‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 7:37 AM, Mord said:

However, I do gotta say, Snowball, really cheaped out on the textures they used. I forgot how depressingly basic the uniform and face quality in this game is. It's too bad BFC couldn't buy the rights, or talk SB into bringing this one over to 4.0. It really is a unique (and rare period) addition to the CM family.

+1

Still a great game.....I've been trying to persuade Steve to declare sanctions on 'The Russians', but no joy!  :(

PS - I'd honestly never really noticed the crap graphics on the AFVs (the troops you can't miss) until you pointed it out, too busy blowing stuff up with 'em!  ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

There are decent CMA mods for BTR-80 & 70, Shilka, T55 & T62.  But, yes it would be wonderful to have some more.  As mentioned previously, there are good mods for the Soviets and Muj/Taliban/Uncon.  But the stock ANA and face skins are terrible.

I tried using the CMSF "Dutch to ANA" mod, bit doesn't seem to work in CMA.  (Plus the uniforms would be wrong.)