Operation Uranus

kevinkin

LOL. Yeah, sorry, I am a perpetual 12-year-old.

On a finer note we should get a little closer after the next RT module. The next base game will actually be the first in the series to jump backward in time. I am wondering how they will approach that. May 44-Jan 44? Then to 43? Or 43 first. Any way I am looking forward to the earlier war kit for both sides.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

I think CM is moving forward in time on both the east and west fronts before it tackles 39'-42'. There has been a lot of forum discussion on this over the years and the proponents of the early war years did not prevail. Module vs Stand alone? I think the end-WW2 stuff would be module - but that's based on memory of the earlier forum talk only.

Kevin

9 minutes ago, kevinkin said:

I think CM is moving forward in time on both the east and west fronts before it tackles 39'-42'. There has been a lot of forum discussion on this over the years and the proponents of the early war years did not prevail. Module vs Stand alone? I think the end-WW2 stuff would be module - but that's based on memory of the earlier forum talk only.

Kevin

per this thread:

Untitled Eastern Front Module - active work has been going on since the Spring and it's shaping up quite nicely.  This will take CMRT up to the end of the war, including some huge Berlin maps

It's definitely a module, presumably to be released in the distant future, since there's a CMFI module and CMSF2 in the works for "early 2018" release.

When CMRT was announced they said the plan was to have a game family to cover each year. CMBN, CMFB etc are each a base game for a family. Add modules to the base game for a family. So far CMFI has one module with a second one announced and CMBN has three modules. Once the module or modules are done for each CMRT base game they are planning to create a new base game for the previous year and then a module and then repeat going back a year each time. Of course that is subject to change but so far that has been the consistent message.

4 hours ago, kevinkin said:

I think CM is moving forward in time on both the east and west fronts before it tackles 39'-42'

Yeah, that's what I was saying, after the next RT module. Once that has been released (and barring packs of any sort they might issue for Red Thunder) the next EF title will be the first in the series to actually jump backward in time. My question is will the base game start in 43 and make it's way to May of 44 through modules? Or will they start the base game in January to May of 44 and go to 43 with modules?

Regardless I hope we get a slew of releases this coming  year. I love all the titles so I get excited for each one.

Mord.

I was kind of hoping they might do 'The End' in Berlin, then go right back to Barbarossa and work their way forward again.....TBH I'd love to play the early Panzers again, the terror (& anticipation of a real challenge) of spotting a KV-1 when you are in control of a platoon of Pz.38(t) is something that really should be savoured by a new generation of CM players (IMHO).  :P

Soviet-KV1-tank.jpg

Сокрушающий фашизм

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

3 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I was kind of hoping they might do 'The End' in Berlin, then go right back to Barbarossa and work their way forward again

I think a big part of the release order strategy has to do with how many models can be recycled for each new module/family. For example; the next module will have a lot of Lend Lease which can all be gleaned from the years of content that has been produced for CMBN/FI/and even FB. That's a ton of work right there. You figure what ever they take from those will basically just have to be retextured, compared to building completely brand new models + texturing. It's a smart move for them, but maybe not as exciting for those that pine for earlier periods in the setting.

I'm personally looking forward to this particular piece of stupid. I have a fetish for all the weird looking stuff, hence my love of Hetzers, PSW 234-&3s, Jpz IV (70v), Archer, Priest, M8 etc.

1429110289-22987800.jpg

Hopefully after this hump of set backs (FI) we'll see more releases, sooner, over the next year or two—lots of fun stuff to look forward to regardless. Between what Total War has coming and Combat Mission, I am gonna need a feeding tube put in.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

No apologies needed.  My point was that if the player can put aside 100% accuracy in available weapons, the east front can be gamed using CMRT across '41-45 - especially infantry combat. Perfect? No. Fun? Yes. A cool example is setting up infantry battles using the winter mod to simulate the January '42 Soviet counter offensive.  To me, it's a lot about having a nice map within an interesting tactical context, not just having exactly the right equipment. I know many will disagree - but that's OK. I put together a winter mod scenario based on the book Hell's Gate  (Cherkassy Pocket ) and it was a blast to make. George MC made a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdZ8mr16qKg

Kevin

<-- Persistent caller for a push towards early-mid war titles. :D I remember fondly the fun times playing Barbarossa era scenarios in the CMBB days.

Some weird and wonderful kit that's already been discussed is a draw card for me but then there's also all the fun little Axis minor nations. Given the attention to detail we're getting in CMFI with the smaller Allied nations... no love in the future for Hungary, Romania, Finland... even the Spanish Blue Division? :P The biggest drawcard though is the array of new challenges for players fighting tactical battles in a different 'era' of the war. No panzerfauts/schrecks/zooks alone changes everything when you are playing with and against armour. Or when you spot a Panzer IV and shurg but then realise you're playing a scenario set in 1941 and you have AT Rifles and grenades.

I'm just a bit concerned for BF and the sheer logistical nightmare of keeping so many base games updated with each engine upgrade. In my perfect world they would have modules pushing Red Thunder back towards Kursk and then start of a new family for the first half of the Eastern Front when the Germans were more the dominant power. Combat Mission: Grey Lightning?

That's one of the reason that am hoping that BF goes to CM3 asap. 

Of course there are alternate opinions on this.  But, my hope is that much of the models and content created for CM2 could be used in CM3 thus shortening the development time so that all the existing CM2 games could be upgraded to CM3 and released within a year or two, and then we could more quickly get onto the earlier eras (ie: 1939-1943) and include the other nationalities mentioned by Ithikial.

If CM3 will be developed at the same glacial pace as CM2, then yes, it's probably better if BF complete the earlier eras in CM2 first.  But, at current rate, that could easily take another 5-10 years.  CMSF came out in July 2007.  It's hard to envisage the CM series staying much the same and maintaining popular interest until 2023 let alone 2028.

1 hour ago, Erwin said:

That's one of the reason that am hoping that BF goes to CM3 asap. 

I wish I knew how BFC would introduce a CM3.  I assume someday they will have to.  But what would be the setting of the first CM3 game?  I really would not be to excited about starting over in the hedgerows and working through all the CM2 game settings again.  Maybe if they continued to work back in time with CM3 and the early war games were released as CM3.  Maybe a CM3 Africa Corps or CM3 Kursk.  I would be more interested in covering new time periods with CM3.       

4 hours ago, HerrTom said:

I'm curious why BF goes for so many base games instead of putting everything in modules with a single base game or engine? I'm sure there is a good reason, but I agree, there are a ton of CM2 games now!

IIRC Steve has mentioned it would be too much work at this point to unify everything under one base game.