Combat in woods - clip from TV series

George MC

I can across this whilst doing some youtube surfing.

I was impressed by the production. The clip (taken from a German series called 'Dusty faces')shows a German unit in action in a small wooded area against some dug in Soviet infantry. 

A warning - it does contain some graphic scenes.

• 1 month later...

George MC,

Many thanks for this! Am quite impressed, not to mention amazed the Germans will even allow such a show. Not only do I want to see more, but it has put some stahl in my men for what's to come. Am fighting brother Ed's Russians in a winter Bolt Action engagement. Got ripped to sheds and torched in my first fight, so am looking to visit retribution on Ivan.

Regards,

John Kettler

1 hour ago, John Kettler said:

George MC,

Many thanks for this! Am quite impressed, not to mention amazed the Germans will even allow such a show. Not only do I want to see more, but it has put some stahl in my men for what's to come. Am fighting brother Ed's Russians in a winter Bolt Action engagement. Got ripped to sheds and torched in my first fight, so am looking to visit retribution on Ivan.

Regards,

John Kettler

As in, 'Bolt Action' Miniature Rules using 15 to 54mm Minis...Nice :-)

I think you and me need to head up to one of those Miniature Gaming Conventions on the East Coast this coming year...if anything, to at least reminisce the Good 'Ole Days of Miniature Gaming.  

Edited by JoMc67

7 hours ago, John Kettler said:

George MC,

Regards,

John Kettler

Good luck!

Gentleman,

Krupp stahl insufficient vs murderous Russian die rolls!  Would you believe four sixes (Kills) in six dice rolled in one group firing alone?! Situation further degraded by failure (through ignorance) to voluntarily employ Down, use carried over Down to roll D6 divided by 2 Pin removals and also properly use officer to remove Pins when ordering a Pinned unit to fire. Brother Ed discovered all this later, along with the fact I'd forgotten the Hitler's Buzz Saw German special rule (which I never learned, since Ed has the BA rules and the German book) which adds a D6 to the German MMG, maddeningly referred to in the rules as an HMG. The German MMG thus rolls 6 D6, instead of a D5. Time and again Ed's DPs smashed my LMG and, later, the MMG added, after being wiped out three games running. The Germans, despite a telescopic sight and a NCO with binos, have the same range as other MMGs. Gah! Also galling is that one turn of run will bring men into rifle range vs an MMG. Ridiculous. In all games my men (full standard squad with LT added when reinforced) were in Hard Cover on a ridge, but DPs and, as he closed, massed rifle fire, wrecked even that war effort. I completely stalled his main attack in Game 4 (2 squads with piles of Pins) but couldn't get a decent die roil to save my life to exploit this. My defense collapsed under close assault by his LT and another guy with PPSH41 as well. Killed one thanks to an Ambush order, but lost the all-important turn draw, resulting in the end of all my remaining men. Total force annihilation and an HSU to the valiant and impetuous Russian leytenant! 

It was great to play, doubtless beneficial to my brain from integrating mental work with tactile activities, took pressure off me from brother George who provided my troops and was annoyed they'd seen battle only one outing prior and long ago, but the relentless successive failures were very hard to take. We weren't playing points, just my dug-in squad or squad reinforced with an LT and an MMG vs Ed's 22 man Russian rifle platoon. Lack of fire groups was a big problem, but with the MMG and the LT, I was able to field four. It also occurs to me that we should've looked to see what snow would've done to his movement.

Not beneficial to my brain was a dreadful card game called Crazy Letters. Had you deliberately designed a game to hit my cognitive weak spots, you couldn't have done much better than this. Lots of visual noise, an array of colors, letters not only in various jumbles and orientations, but not necessarily what they looked like--all processed on the fly under acute time pressure from people with lightning quick information processing and the ability to call out the word. Ed swept the field with 20, while I had 0.  Two others played, but nobody was close to Ed's score. Did very well with the now insanely priced decades old Naval War (80 pounds) but lost the next night playing Nuclear War, also very pricey. We used to play the original so much we wore down the damage wheel, but his was a larger format later version with a plastic spinner instead of the steel one sported by the original. There was also some game in which you used clues to figure out the word. Got 1 in that game. 

Won't be entering tournaments any time soon!

Regards,

John Kettler

Damn, JK...I just noticed you have a Very Big Negative Post Reputation.

In regards to your Post...Next Time, I want a 2 to 1 Casualty Ratio against Brother Ed's Ruskies, because the Germs are supposed to be twice as good as the average Bear.

Edited by JoMc67

JoMC67,

Regarding my negative post rating, that's because there are some rabid haters here (imagine that) who routinely down vote my posts and have for some time , while most Forumites simply don't rate posts at all. Such are the realities of human nature and busy people focused on CM, not voting. What's being done to savage my rep is a great well-poisoner when newbies notice and ask why. That's when items I'm been asked not to/am not allowed to discuss get trotted out, yet I'm powerless to defend myself. All I can really do is let my CM posts do the talking  for me. 

Regards,

John Kettler

14 minutes ago, John Kettler said:

JoMC67,

Regarding my negative post rating, that's because there are some rabid haters here (imagine that) who routinely down vote my posts and have for some time , while most Forumites simply don't rate posts at all. Such are the realities of human nature and busy people focused on CM, not voting. What's being done to savage my rep is a great well-poisoner when newbies notice and ask why. That's when items I'm been asked not to/am not allowed to discuss get trotted out, yet I'm powerless to defend myself. All I can really do is let my CM posts do the talking  for me. 

Regards,

John Kettler

Yeah, I'm sorry to hear that stuff like this happens to CM Members, and It would be better off if BF just did away with the Rep Counter...No matter what anyone else says you're a Great Asset to the CM Community...At least, in your own special way :-)

Edited by JoMc67

2 hours ago, JoMc67 said:

Yeah, I'm sorry to hear that stuff like this happens to CM Members, and It would be better off if BF just did away with the Rep Counter...No matter what anyone else says you're a Great Asset to the CM Community...At least, in your own special way :-)

They did for a while. I asked after the last update if there was an option for up voting only. Seems there is. Those that post useful and perhaps fun posts will have their rep go up. Those that do not will not.

IanL,

With nearly 15K posts to my name, I find it patently ridiculous that I, who have contributed mightily to the Forums since January 2000, should have anything but a sterling rep here. Therefore, the factors I have described above would appear to be pertinent. Believe the rep feature is relatively recent, so down votes nowish can undo a great deal of otherwise invisible good rep. That the well is being poisoned is indisputable, for several times I've seen one of the usual suspects jump in to trash me in the eyes of newbies, said trashing being done by characteristically hitting me in ways where I can't defend myself directly. Would love to see the rep feature killed outright.

Regards,

John Kettler

Howdy John K.

I would consider myself to be a newbie and I do not understand this - / + post voting rating system. Is there any place on the forum that explains it"s intent or purpose. I have posted a few times but do not consider what others may think of my views or opinions when I create a post. I do try to not offend but the world is a varied place with many views. I can not remember if I have ever voted, up or down. It seems if someone is too off track they are vanquished anyway (which is probably a good thing). Just keep putting it out there and have a good time. Life is short enough as it is, as a famous man once said “don't sweat the thunder showers”  B)

19 hours ago, JoMc67 said:

No matter what anyone else says you're a Great Asset to the CM Community...At least, in your own special way :-)

+1

32 minutes ago, Michael Charles said:

Just keep putting it out there and have a good time. Life is short enough as it is, as a famous man once said “don't sweat the thunder showers”  B)

+1

2 hours ago, Michael Charles said:

I would consider myself to be a newbie and I do not understand this - / + post voting rating system. Is there any place on the forum that explains it"s intent or purpose.

I don't think there is a specific place. The short history is that when the forum moved to this new platform there was a up and down vote system. It seemed to work OK mostly but a few forum members abused it and picked on a couple of members. Some of us pointed out the problem to Steve and he just disabled the whole thing. I have been thinking about it for a while and noticed other forums that only have up voting seem to work better. It allows people who contribute positive helpful posts to be easily identified and encourages newcomers to attempt to do the same. Just recently the forum was updated and I asked Steve if there was an ability to only allow up voting. Clearly he decided to give it another go. Doing that restored our scores from the time when down voting was allowed.

I personally thing it can work. John was one of the people that was probably ganged up on last time. Quite frankly with some of the terrible posts he has made I do have some understanding of why and have long ignored his posts (using the forum's ignore feature) which frankly I wished more people who get annoyed with him would do. That would have been a much better thing to have done in the first place.

I have posted a few times but do not consider what others may think of my views or opinions when I create a post. I do try to not offend but the world is a varied place with many views.

Which is totally the way to go.

I can not remember if I have ever voted, up or down.

There was only a few months where down voting was allowed.

It seems if someone is too off track they are vanquished anyway (which is probably a good thing).

Actually here people last a really long time. Despite what some bitter people say (on other forums :-) Steve is very forgiving and very rarely bans people.

Just keep putting it out there and have a good time. Life is short enough as it is, as a famous man once said “don't sweat the thunder showers”  B)

Totally agree with that.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

Mixed feelings about that. Technically not the worst I´ve seen from some reenactor wannabe film producers, yet suffering from the usual lack of realism and detail. I have my doubts about their true motivations making such films, but oh well...

The real deal would make terrible TV.... or great Slow TV. Just imagine sitting down for two hours through an artillery preparation, see the guys leapfrogging,  being hit, blown to gorey bits, or curling up in a ball. Characters you like or appreciate die in random grotesque ways. All dialog boils down to sentences constructed around the word sh*t or variations of it, and the screams of the hurt and dying.

Good luck selling that to a TV network.

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 12:38 PM, Michael Charles said:

Howdy John K.

I would consider myself to be a newbie and I do not understand this - / + post voting rating system. Is there any place on the forum that explains it"s intent or purpose. I have posted a few times but do not consider what others may think of my views or opinions when I create a post. I do try to not offend but the world is a varied place with many views. I can not remember if I have ever voted, up or down. It seems if someone is too off track they are vanquished anyway (which is probably a good thing). Just keep putting it out there and have a good time. Life is short enough as it is, as a famous man once said “don't sweat the thunder showers”  B)

The rep system is actually a way to induce positive forum participation. Once you get over 300 + votes, you can ctl-alt-double left click on the "+" and get hot-linked to the BFC webstore. (The double-click is a pain in the ass. You've got to time it just right, or it doesn't link.) Once in, it automatically shows you what you can get, for free, in exchange for some + votes. The CMBN big bundle goes for about 800, I think. It fluctuates, depending on the USD:+ exchange market.

In this case, if John Kettler were to disenroll from the forum, he'd owe BFC some $ because of those negative reps. It's in the EULA. So, he's kind of committed to hanging about and hoping for a better turn of events. Unless someone wants to cash him out.

Edited by c3k

I will say this, its not quantity that counts.  JK posts a lot of stuff, but not all useful.  It seems to come in waves where he is literally 80% of the top 10-15 posts on any given forum.  Some of it game-related, some not.  When you take the approach of quantity over quality, you are going to get dinged by people eventually.  Frankly, I don't think I have looked at a JK-started post in years. 

I have given this advice in the past to JK...when you stumble across something using that great tool called google, wait 24 hours and then revisit it and see if its still something useful.  And I mean useful, versus just interesting to you.

On 1/20/2018 at 12:51 AM, John Kettler said:

c3k,

I'm in the hole because of those other holes, as it were? Unbelievable! Had no idea the reputation scores were anything but that, still less they translated into dollars.Egad!

Regards,

John Kettler

Don't worry John. Rep points are for for pubescent girls ;) As someone once said "Don't let the Buggers get you down!"

• 1 month later...