• Announcements

• Battlefront.com

Special Upgrade 4 Tech Tips   12/27/2016

Hi all! Now that Upgrade 4 is out and about in large quantities we have now discovered a few SNAFUs that happen out in the scary, real world that is home computing.  Fortunately the rate of problems is extremely small and so far most are easily worked around.  We've identified a few issues that have similar causes which we have clear instructions for work arounds here they are: 1.  CMRT Windows customers need to re-license their original key.  This is a result of improvements to the licensing system which CMBN, CMBS, and CMFB are already using.  To do this launch CMRT with the Upgrade and the first time enter your Engine 4 key.  Exit and then use the "Activate New Products" shortcut in your CMRT folder, then enter your Engine 3 license key.  That should do the trick. 2.  CMRT and CMBN MacOS customers have a similar situation as #2, however the "Activate New Products" is inside the Documents folder in their respective CM folders.  For CMBN you have to go through the process described above for each of your license keys.  There is no special order to follow. 3.  For CMBS and CMFB customers, you need to use the Activate New Products shortcut and enter your Upgrade 4 key.  If you launch the game and see a screen that says "LICENSE FAILURE: Base Game 4.0 is required." that is an indication you haven't yet gone through that procedure.  Provided you had a properly functioning copy before installing the Upgrade, that should be all you need to do.  If in the future you have to install from scratch on a new system you'll need to do the same procedure for both your original license key and your Upgrade 4.0 key. 4.  There's always a weird one and here it is.  A few Windows users are not getting "Activate New Products" shortcuts created during installation.  Apparently anti-virus software is preventing the installer from doing its job.  This might not be a problem right now, but it will prove to be an issue at some point in the future.  The solution is to create your own shortcut using the following steps: Disable your anti-virus software before you do anything. Go to your Desktop, right click on the Desktop itself, select NEW->SHORTCUT, use BROWSE to locate the CM EXE that you are trying to fix. The location is then written out. After it type in a single space and then paste this:

-showui

Click NEXT and give your new Shortcut a name (doesn't matter what). Confirm that and you're done. Double click on the new Shortcut and you should be prompted to license whatever it is you need to license. At this time we have not identified any issues that have not been worked around.  Let's hope it stays that way Steve
    • Battlefront.com

Forum Reorganization   10/12/2017

We've reorganized our Combat Mission Forums to reflect the fact that most of you are now running Engine 4 and that means you're all using the same basic code.  Because of that, there's no good reason to have the discussion about Combat Mission spread out over 5 separate sets of Forums.  There is now one General Discussion area with Tech Support and Scenario/Mod Tips sub forums.  The Family specific Tech Support Forums have been moved to a new CM2 Archives area and frozen in place. You might also notice we dropped the "x" from distinguishing between the first generation of CM games and the second.  The "x" was reluctantly adopted back in 2005 or so because at the time we had the original three CM games on European store shelves entitled CM1, CM2, and CM3 (CMBO, CMBB, and CMAK).  We didn't want to cause confusion so we added the "x".  Time has moved on and we have to, so the "x" is now gone from our public vocabulary as it has been from our private vocabulary for quite a while already.  Side note, Charles *NEVER* used the "x" so now we're all speaking the same language as him.  Which is important since he is the one programming them
kevinkin

Stryker vs Bradley

Reading some of the better accounts of the Kursk campaign might well be an instructive indicator. Many of the secondary roads in Ukraine are still probably little more than dirt tracks as we have seen in much film footage of the conflict in the region. And, at the tactical level vehicles, whether armoured or tracked must come off the roads at some point. All you need then is a decent continental thunderstorm - and these things are much more intensive than most thunderstorms we have in the UK. I have personal experience of this kind of storm while on summer holldays in Switzerland. You get a great deal of rain in a short period. Historical accounts of thunderstorms in Ukraine during the summer of 1943. For instance a severe thunderstorm during the late July 1943 assault by II SS Panzer Korps during the late afternoon om the third day of the battle brought the entire assualt to a halt because the ground turned to deep mud conditions after perhaps half an hour of torrential rain in a severe thunder storm. It has been noted that similar storms took place quite frequently during the Battle of Kursk.

Our Ukranian War takes place at the same time of year/ Severe thunder sorms in Ukraine are likely in this Continental climate zone. This is not a case of Stryker hate. All wheeled vehicles on both sides would suffer similarly. And tracked vehicles almost as much - as they diid in the summer of 1943 

I recall an old book from decades ago, 'Mounted Combat in Vietnam'. It included a map showing what proportion of the country was a 'no-go' area for armor - It was a large chunk of the place. Later in the war the percentage that was 'no-go' had shrunk dramatically due to more capable vehicles showing up and also large scale road building to get armor into and out of problematic areas.

20 hours ago, MikeyD said:

I recall an old book from decades ago, 'Mounted Combat in Vietnam'. It included a map showing what proportion of the country was a 'no-go' area for armor - It was a large chunk of the place. Later in the war the percentage that was 'no-go' had shrunk dramatically due to more capable vehicles showing up and also large scale road building to get armor into and out of problematic areas.

I may have had the same book, except that mine was called Armored Combat in Viet Nam. I recall two maps except that one was for tanks and the second for APCs. The latter could go almost anywhere.

Michael

Mass is important, not just tracks instead of wheels. 30-tonn Bradley would be stuck as well. BMPs are so light not just for amphibious capabilities!

17 hours ago, DMS said:

Mass is important, not just tracks instead of wheels. 30-tonn Bradley would be stuck as well. BMPs are so light not just for amphibious capabilities!

Aye, pressure is Force / Area. Force is Mass * Acceleration due to Gravity. Less mass, and more area are the best way to prevent a track from sinking. This being said, if both mass and total track area are increased proportionately, the ground pressure would be the same. In other words, the heavier you are, the wider (and longer) tracks you need.

Calculation-of-Nominal-Ground-Pressure.p

I found a fantastic document comparing the ground pressure of various Cold War and WW2 vehicles! Here it is: Tracked Vehicle Ground Pressure. It seems Soviet vehicles, both in WW2 and after, put a heavy emphasis on reducing ground pressure. Also interesting to see that the HVSS was a significant improvement, as well as interleaved wheels on German tanks.

6 minutes ago, DerKommissar said:

Aye, pressure is Force / Area.

Indeed the basics are covered there but as you can see the graphic assuming even pressure for the area under and between the bogie wheels for the track is a simplification...

6 minutes ago, DerKommissar said:

Also interesting to see that the HVSS was a significant improvement, as well as interleaved wheels on German tanks.

Which is why suspension and wheel size and placement matter for tracked vehicles.

Same reasoning I use to explain to the wife why I can’t carry her.  Dear, it is a simple issue of ground pressure, well just get bogged. 

Somehow she refuses to buy into science.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, IanL said:

Indeed the basics are covered there but as you can see the graphic assuming even pressure for the area under and between the bogie wheels for the track is a simplification...

Which is why suspension and wheel size and placement matter for tracked vehicles.

You are absolutely correct. This is a gross generalization. This also assumes a perfectly flat surface (let alone tread tension or wheel inflation) -- which makes the whole model moot.

Warning: do not design, manufacture or distribute AFVs based on my prior post. DerKommissar Enterprises will not be held responsible for any flawed designs.

Edited by DerKommissar

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, sburke said:

Same reasoning I use to explain to the wife why I can’t carry her.  Dear, it is a simple issue of ground pressure, well just get bogged. 

Somehow she refuses to buy into science.

LOL - my method was to hit door frames as I tried to carry her. She now refuses all offers of being carried. ;)

Edited by IanL
added smillie

4 minutes ago, DerKommissar said:

Warning: do not design, manufacture or distribute AFVs based on my prior post. DerKommissar Enterprises will not be held responsible for any flawed designs.

Awesome. :D

Yeah I don't want to detract from the basic message just point out there is a bunch of other things going on.

On 4/5/2018 at 12:02 AM, LUCASWILLEN05 said:

Here we see the kind of thing that often passes for a road in Ukraine - and I suspect this is one of the better ones  

More road than pothole, so yes, above average.

1 hour ago, c3k said:

I refuse to participate in this discussion until someone brings up soil shear strengths.

That is what my wife said. 

3 hours ago, sburke said:

That is what my wife said. 

I think what she actually said to you was something more along the line of, "I haven't the strength to keep you from soiling my sheer things." Or something. ;) 

2 minutes ago, c3k said:

I think what she actually said to you was something more along the line of, "I haven't the strength to keep you from soiling my sheer things." Or something. ;) 

Bump your head again, Ken?

Michael

1 minute ago, Michael Emrys said:

Bump your head again, Ken?

Michael

Hey! Don't blame me: sburke brought it up! 

And it's not a concussion if you don't lose consciousness, right?

5 minutes ago, c3k said:

And it's not a concussion if you don't lose consciousness, right?

You are perhaps confusing that with what Dean Martin used to say: "You aren't drunk as long as you can still hold onto the floor."

Michael