What Computer Games Get "Wrong" about War

11 hours ago, Mord said:

Send him a link to a good play through. Trying the CMBO/BB/AK demo is quite a different experience than playing BN or FI. This guy MUST be MADE to UNDERSTAND!

Mord.

He he. 😁

CM video suggestions welcome. What would be the best way to captivate his mind in the first two minutes? 

3 hours ago, Hister said:

He he. 😁

CM video suggestions welcome. What would be the best way to captivate his mind in the first two minutes? 

One of the videos by Colonel Paulding at Armchair General.  Hearing a retired Colonel talk favorably about Combat Mission and use the game to demonstrate real world tactics should impress him.  

I don't know if this is the thread for this but I wanted to bring up one aspect of realism that many people get wrong. That is; the expectation that men and vehicles will do things the way you want them to.

Many war gamers get upset if the squad of infantry you sent forward in a wedge formation don't form an actual wedge or one of the tanks of the troop you sent forward goes left around a small hill while the other 3 go right. Or the common "One of my soldier stood up in the middle of a firefight and was killed...stupid A.I. I wish they would program the A.I. better!!!" They usually blame it on the developer 

I am happy when the A.I. do dumb things because, I hate to break it to you  but in real life Soldiers do stupid things all the time. I could write pages and pages of examples from my 25 years as an infantry soldier. It is realistic to have to deal with the frustration of things not going as planned. As a leader on the battlefield you have to deal with dumb asses all the time.

I get upset when everyone and their dog complains about these things to the game developers and they in turn waste many hours trying to program the men, planes, tanks, etc. to do things "perfectly"

This is realistic in everyday life. Can you remember telling a friend to, "Look to the right." and they look to the left? Of course you can; things like that happen all the time. No human that I know is perfect. Add stress and pressure to the situation and the seemingly "Dumb" things people do ramps up a notch or two.

Instead of blaming the game developers when things don't work as you think they should take it as a challenge to work around. I do and, quite frankly, it adds a level of realism that those "perfect" games do not.

I learned a long time ago that common sense is not that common.

Edited by squish1962

13 hours ago, squish1962 said:

I don't know if this is the thread for this but I wanted to bring up one aspect of realism that many people get wrong. That is; the expectation that men and vehicles will do things the way you want them to.

Spot freakin' on!

I get upset when everyone and their dog complains about these things to the game developers and they in turn waste many hours trying to program the men, planes, tanks, etc. to do things "perfectly"

Thankfully this developer does not engage in that because they believe what your wrote above as much as you do. We do get the occasional complaints though. :D

Instead of blaming the game developers when things don't work as you think they should take it as a challenge to work around. I do and, quite frankly, it adds a level of realism that those "perfect" games do not.

I learned a long time ago that common sense is not that common.

+1 to that.

1 hour ago, IICptMillerII said:

I'm a big fan of both the Armchair General videos and Josey Wales. If I could add another video in it would be this one by @PanzerPajamas: I think it shows off some good combined arms with some varied and fun equipment. It also shows off an often ignored theater of the war.

+1 Yep.  I'm subscribed to both @PanzerPajamas and @Josey Wales.  Both excellent videos.  I was just re-watching the Palermo video yesterday. 

I contacted him again explaining you guys suggested that I present him a couple of videos. Thanx to your suggestions I've sent him Josey's Bear Claws AAR, Road to Wiltz by Usually Happless and Armchair General videos.

He gave me the thumb up. ;)

45 minutes ago, Hister said:

I contacted him again explaining you guys suggested that I present him a couple of videos. Thanx to your suggestions I've sent him Josey's Bear Claws AAR, Road to Wiltz by Usually Happless and Armchair General videos.

He gave me the thumb up. ;)

+1  Good job!!!  

Ha ha, thanx. Do not hold your breath though, thumbs up might be just in order to get rid of the annoying fly - aka me... We'll see down the pipeline if this bears fruit. Again, thank you for the youtube suggestions. Josey Wales is now my favorite CM youtuber - didn't know about him for some reason beforehand.  

Edit: Seeing how he asks for support while he makes his content do you think any CM guys here would be willing to gift him a CM title in order to cement the deal with him? 

Edited by Hister

It was the "annoying fly" scenario in the end unfortunately. Mission failed. :(

He followed with this after his thumb up: 

"I don't have time, please stop bugging me about combat mission, as mentioned before, I get a mail/message about this game all the time, it is just annoying."

It's a loss for him and for his viewers I think but you can't push someone so if you are reading this do not send him any CM requests. The man has spoken. 

Edited by Hister

1 minute ago, Mord said:

I don't like him any more...

Mord.

Me neither. I will now limit myself to only look every second of his awesome videos. ;) Being more serious though I do think that by now he should have picked the idea CM games would be a perfect tool for his video creation process. Seems like a very stubborn guy with a fixed idea he has no time to play it while it could enhance his video creation quality 5 fold (but I understand it is time consuming to get the grip of the game and making something useful out of it). He shouldn't have asked for game suggestions in the first place and now he is complaining about the game being suggested to him.Guess he stumbled upon too enthusiastic viewers. ;)  

That is indeed very sad to hear. :( I was so excited that maybe we could convince him to try it. I love his content. Heck, he was streaming Hearts of Iron 3 last week. Figured he would at least give an opinion from the videos or something considering he is focused on this type of material. Oh well, thanks for trying guys. Maybe one day down the road we'll see something.

9 hours ago, IanL said:

He is still making content and does not want to try basically *the* war game that tries to portray a realistic combat situation?

I figured this guy was not writing any more or something.

He still is.That is why his answer surprised all so much. 

9 hours ago, IanL said:

How can you go on and on about wargames getting things wrong and not try ones you haven't tried yet? 

He's Austrian... ;)

19 hours ago, DougPhresh said:

Speaking as an artilleryman, games overemphasize small arms.  In the 20th century crew-served weapons accounted for 90% of casualties.

CM gets this right. Machine guns, mortars and artillery are the big killers.

Isn't this mostly because the artillery toll includes lots of shelling of rear areas, troops during road movement, etc? 

Whereas CM only deals with the actual battles where soldiers get close enough to use their rifles.

Edited by Bulletpoint

1 hour ago, Bulletpoint said:

Isn't this mostly because the artillery toll includes lots of shelling of rear areas, troops during road movement, etc? 

Whereas CM only deals with the actual battles where soldiers get close enough to use their rifles.

I think you're spot on there. Hitting rear areas around breakfast time was fairly common practice. And over the years I've read quite a few accounts of troops getting hit by mortars and arty "on the way to the start line", which is not something that CM can replicate.

21 hours ago, DougPhresh said:

Speaking as an artilleryman, games overemphasize small arms.  In the 20th century crew-served weapons accounted for 90% of casualties.

CM gets this right. Machine guns, mortars and artillery are the big killers.

1 hour ago, Bulletpoint said:

Doug said CM gets thing right in this regard so it is not that he is saying CM is not getting things right - even on the start line casualty source are portrayed right in CM according to him.