Kharkov Map Sneak Peak

Macisle

13 minutes ago, Erwin said:

Looks beautiful.  Does all the buildings and damage use of processing power?  A concern would be if it can only be played on a state of the art machine. 

Thanks!

So far, the slices I've been working with haven't been a problem. My standard setting is model quality at Better and everything else maxed. My rig is getting a bit long in the tooth, too. -Will have to wait and see on some future slices though, as those will be more demanding.

In game, the full map would probably be a slide show on any setting, with very long loading times, but I've been quite impressed with the Editor framerate. It must chop out a lot of LOS overhead and such. Preview loading times are pretty long, though (especially the first). Foliage work takes a lot of back and forth between 2D panel and preview, so that really takes a lot of time. -Very satisfying when the results are pleasing, though!

4 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Would you happen to know the various formulae for the sorcery involved in converting this to CM:BS at all?

This would be my dream playpen for that game.....Close quarters tank ambush agogo!  B)

I've no idea, but I'd love to see CMBS fans be able to take this sucker for a ride, too. Aside from a few changed road paths and some of the big boys and apartment lines being even taller in real life, the map is a faithful rendition of modern Kharkov/Kharkiv.

Places to ambush from? Oh...just a few:

27512366138_1c1015c9fe_b.jpg

Okay, that really is it for now on pics. I'm making progress little by little, but still have a crap ton of work left to do on the map alone. Just rest assured that some day you're either gonna' have to get across this river or try to stop someone else from doing it. :D

Edited by Macisle

9 hours ago, LongLeftFlank said:

Pity you can't put flat roofs on the modular buildings. 

I know. I think about that every time I work on the map.

7 hours ago, Erwin said:

Speaking as a frustrated model RR enthusiast, what about the station and the track layout?

That's funny. I had a RR line and bridge way back when, got rid of them and never added them back as they haven't come up in my goole map references.

Hmm.  I still have areas that are skeletal, so I'll think about adding something. Depending on how the playtests go on the S to N bridge attack slice (2 bridges and some of that area is visible in the last pic I posted), I may need to expand the western edge a bit. I could add a rail bridge there beside the regular one and run the line up that.

However, I want to avoid mission creep, so I'll likely fit something into an area that is still currently skeletal or just leave it out if need be.

On 11/04/2018 at 4:57 AM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Would you happen to know the various formulae for the sorcery involved in converting this to CM:BS at all?

This would be my dream playpen for that game.....Close quarters tank ambush agogo!  B)

Change the byte at hex address 10 (decimal 16) to 0A (this is the flag for CMBS). You'll need a hex editor to do this and you must be careful to overwrite the previous entry not merely insert the changed byte.

Note that conversion of maps will often change flavour objects (like tractors in fields become bus-stops - that sort of thing), clearly WW2 specific objects (like posters) are not appropriate for modern... so you need to check in BS editor and make sure it looks right.

• 4 months later...

Hey, guys -- just a quick line to say that I'm back from my extended summer break. No time to start any new videos yet, but I am chipping away at the map again. Tons more work to do on it, but I've made a lot of progress. Here's  a birdseye of the current status:

44074763812_deb8773c95_b.jpg

Macisle out.

33 minutes ago, sburke said:

about freakin time you slacker!  Get to work!  :D   Welcome back

Thanks!

Man, lot's of cool stuff happened in CM land while I was away. -Very exciting.

Hey, I was just thinking about you this morning, as I spent it doing "landscaping" on the map. Only virtual foliage of course, but by the end of it, I felt like changing my name to Roger the Shrubber. 🙂

25 minutes ago, RepsolCBR said:

Judging by the pictures/videos...A worthy contender for the title 'greatest CM map ever' i belive. I'm impressed ! B)

This really gets me longing for persistant map damage though. That would be totally cool. A campaign on this map with such a feature implemented.

Thank you for the very generous compliment! The community has some very talented map makers and wonderful maps. I'm just hoping to add a few slices of spicy pepperoni to the big pie and hope people like it. The new CMRT module looks to be bringing some of what got me motivated to start the map to the table. So, my map won't be as unique as it was when I embarked on this long journey. Still, I think it will still offer some new variations here and there, and lots of fodder for folks to slice, dice and do their own thing with.

Yeah, persistent damage would really be a match made in heaven for this map. One of my primary goals for the campaign design (again, H2H -- therefore separate scenarios making up a theoretical campaign) will be to find the best balance of map slice to allow for maneuver and persistent damage over extended single battle play time. As things stand, I'm still planning to try to make the multiple battles under one 4-hour scenario (times 4-8 scenarios to make up the full campaign) concept work.  All bets are off until the map is finished, though.

The initial testing I've done in the center area has yielded some very pleasing combat. 

Here is a screenie taken from some of that testing back before the break:

43218394995_0ff90a01c6_b.jpg

This started the battle pristine.

Edited by Macisle

11 hours ago, RepsolCBR said:

Judging by the pictures/videos...A worthy contender for the title 'greatest CM map ever' i belive. I'm impressed ! B)

This really gets me longing for persistant map damage though. That would be totally cool. A campaign on this map with such a feature implemented.

+1 to that.

Maybe someone will use this map for something like what MOS:96B2P so aptly pioneered here

That way, the entire map could stay in play for hours.

Thanks for the compliments, guys! They are much appreciated and motivate me to keep my nose to the grindstone.

I don't want to give too much away yet, but here is one detailed shot, along with the corrosponding google map area that inspired it:

29203478927_0279a422b9_b.jpg

29203478247_03b73a6bd5_z.jpg

I've lowered building heights in some places to reduce the modern look. There are a ton of balconies on the map, but only a tiny number of them are actually functional. Almost all are cosmetic -- the door removed to prevent troops from becoming more vulnerable by going out on the balcony.

Yeah, I hope folks take this and do interesting things with it. It won't be everyone's cup of tea, though. SMG troops or no SMG troops, you really gotta' split teams and put in detailed orders for coordinated micro-tactical play. Otherwise, attacking troops just evaporate. And, pretty much every inch of the map is tube guy paradise. The attacking Soviets will have T-34/76 as base and they're gonna' need every round of that HE loadout for area fire. Keeping them alive to use it, though...😈