Kharkov Map Sneak Peak

Macisle

11 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Gods, checking that lot must be mind-warping!  :blink:

It's definitely something to be divided into small tasks, spaced across time, adding up to a completed whole. Taken in tiny bites, it's an enjoyable way to start the day with morning coffee. 10-30 minutes and you've got a new building complex, skeleton of a city block, initial road layout of a park area, etc. Quite a cool feeling to hit the bottom of your cup and see a new piece of your vision move from imagination to (virtual) reality.

7 hours ago, Jorge MC said:

wow interesting map, but please less zig zag roads

I'm doing my best to keep them to a minimum, but there is only so much that can be done without sacrificing higher priority design goals. The screenshots come from testing that is actually primarily to spot pathfinding issues. So far, things are looking very good, other than infantry units sometimes not taking advantages of the cover I've created for them when the TacAI decides to displace/rout.

5 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

This is great! And a good example of how BF should sell their games, namely with more and better screenshots that will attract lots of wargamers.

Apart from that I think a stone grey sky would be even more atmospheric.

Thanks, Aragorn. I'll try to mix up the weather a bit as I do these little micro-story screens.

9 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

Very cool screenshot.  Sounds like an interesting scenario in the works.  

Thanks. The plan at this point is to get the map finished (no ETA, it's going to take a long time) and then integrate new units/formations from the next CMRT module into a H2H campaign using map slices. That, and/or make QB maps from it. I'm not planning to do single-player scenarios or a campaign with it, as the workload is too prohibitive.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Ridaz said:

How goes the work so far?

Thanks for checking in, Ridaz. Things are going well. S-L-O-W-L-Y, but well. Here is a screenshot of recent work:

24978741287_ea20a39bda_b.jpg

There are areas in the background that are still in the initial skeletal stage, or are currently being brought out of it. The area filling out the center and foreground of the pic is largely done, except for the southermost trees that need to be tweaked a bit more.

I am just finishing up a test battle on the SW slice from my Dec. 2nd post above. I am very pleased with the action. In fact, though it wasn't intended for it, I am fighting the urge to make it into an AAR video. I think the action would make for pretty entertaining video fodder and it would give people a taste of what the map will bring while sitting through the long wait for it. The downside of the vid would be that it would take time away from making the map.

Not sure what to do on that. The map isn't going to be out until after the next module anyway, but I have a mammoth amount of work left to do on it. Another option would be a screenshot AAR. But, that might end up taking as much production time as a vid series.

WOW ! :)

Outstanding work on this map...Hopefully someone else will use it to make some nice SP scenarios (if that is not in your plan)...

If the majority of the buildings have working internal (and perhaps also tweaked external) doors this map will be amazing as a H2H map i'm sure but it would be a 'waste' not to use it in SP scenarios also...:P

Top class work !!!

When in doubt - coffee :)

Looks fantastic, especially like the building complex in the center of this shot. Looks like some government center or like that. 

On 2017-12-02 at 3:32 PM, Macisle said:

The SW corner of the map is coming to life.

37899306405_05aab56ef0_b.jpg

Curious, do all the buildings take a heavy toll on framrate/performance?

1 hour ago, c3k said:

Agreed: this looks fantastic!

If you're just doing this 30 minutes at a time with a cup of coffee, you need to start brewing more often. ;) 

Thanks, guys! It's going to be a long road. I may become a Java Junkie. By the time all is said and done, they may have to check me into Maxwell House.

1 hour ago, RepsolCBR said:

WOW ! :)

Outstanding work on this map...Hopefully someone else will use it to make some nice SP scenarios (if that is not in your plan)...

If the majority of the buildings have working internal (and perhaps also tweaked external) doors this map will be amazing as a H2H map i'm sure but it would be a 'waste' not to use it in SP scenarios also...:P

Top class work !!!

All doors and windows are being lovingly chosen by yours truly. There are a good number of building complexes in this that will be the sites of epic struggles. I don't want to show off too much yet (and of course, much is unfinished). However, I have decided to make a vid of my playtest on the SW slice (not the final cut shape) to show some of the combat you can expect and help keep folks entertained while they wait. It should also provide a nice catalyst for shop talk on map techniques.  It's against the AI, but also shows how much SP play potential there is.  It's looking like there are going to be a fair number of slices for the H2H campaign (H2H single scenarios that can be played according to very simple campaign rules), as play will be slow and deadly, just like in the history books. That's good news on getting value from the master map. Other good news is it looks like players are still going to get to use lots of heavy artillery, despite the smaller map slices (haven't found a battle that lets you use those 300mm rockets? They're comin', baby!)

Anyhoo, I I gotta' log soon and only made a dent in the first video installment (will have many parts), but I'll wet your appetites with some screenies from the upcoming video:

The last few seconds of peace...

25981673348_e068a66540_b.jpg

Soviet 300mm rockets rain down.

39144841734_7acfb68758_b.jpg

B-O-O-M!

24984192487_798356aa2c_b.jpg

My Soviets advance under the thick blanket of smoke created by the barrage.

25981672928_b0a8d20e00_b.jpg

And then? Well, yer just gonna' have to wait to find out. One thing I can say, it may not be a Stalingrad map, but...it sure feels like it!

24984192057_7ecff294c2_b.jpg

15 minutes ago, rocketman said:

When in doubt - coffee :)

Looks fantastic, especially like the building complex in the center of this shot. Looks like some government center or like that. 

Curious, do all the buildings take a heavy toll on framrate/performance?

Thanks!

Yeah, they do, but I am getting a feel for the sweet spot in terms of map slicing and unit density. I've got  over two battalions and two tank companies fighting it out on the map slice you posted on and it's still playable at decent settings on my aging rig. Of course, YMMV, as I have a high tolerance for sluggish frame rates. I think things will be okay, but look forward to getting player feedback down the line when the H2H scenarios go into testing (the map itself will take a many moons yet).

28 minutes ago, rocketman said:

Well, if you need playtesters let me know. I'm interested and the guys I play with regularly are also into playtesting/scenario making.

Thanks very much for the offer, rocketman. I'll definitely give you a holler when things get to that stage. I'm planning to integrate new units and equipment when the next module comes out, so it will be after that.