Grab CMRT engine 4 upgrade? or wait for fix?

Pandur

in short, i still have CMRT engine 3, game version 1.03(i think). i wana replay the russian campaign in CMRT, would you guys just play it on engine 3 or upgrade to engine 4? i read with the engine 4 upgrade there is some problem with troops retreating from HE blast. you guys think the CMRT stock campaigns and battles are enjoyable/playable on engine 4? if not i save the few € bucks and just play on engine 3 till this is fixed.

hey erwin; thanks!

you say this mostly affects the defender, but does that make attacking much easier now? i  mean when i lob a few HE shells toward the enemy and the enemy packs up and runs, i get free shots on his retreating troops every time+the defensive works are empty now. how does that make for an interesting attack? or it isnt so bad as i think it is?

I like to use the minimum necessary force to accomplish an objective.  I have played missions where I leave a reserve, and if all goes well, I don't use it at all.  Also, you can decide that only X% casualties are acceptable (regardless of what the end screen says re victory level).  In that way you can make any scenario as challenging as you like.

hm, after some study of the forums i think i will stick with v3, the way it is in v4 is just too extreme for my taste, this behavior makes no sense. in the CMFI section steve mentioned that this is not as it is intended but there is no fix for it in like 7-8 month since this was introduced? does anyone still play the game like that or does everyone have some sort of workaround to keep playing?

this thread describes the issue very well, i dont rly want that to happen when playing a scenario as attacker(or defender), this looks broken. i am not so much into limiting myself as workaround, i better stick to v3 and have defenders that do defend instead of running into the open and play shooting gallery.

Definitely stick with version 3.0 It's harder, more realistic and frankly more fun. Anyway if you get halfway through you can always upgrade to 4.0 if they release a patch but you can't do this the other way round (i e start in 4.0 and revert to 3.0)

As others have said, I would recommend sticking with v3 for now. There is a patch coming for v4, but it's unclear when that will be released. For now I'm running most of my games on v3 and enjoy it much better. 

If you want, you can purchase the upgrade and have two installs of the game, one v3 and one v4 to see for yourself the differences. Otherwise I would just stick to v3 till the patch. 

i guess the day the patch is out, i buy v4 upgrade. since i just wana play the game and not test out stuff or compare different engine versions there is no real reason for me to buy v4 upgrade right now. i could fork out that money no problem, i would love to have the other v4 improvements but i am not willing to have a large potion of the scenarios kinda ruined by the quirk that is in the v4 upgrade.

i am just puzzled why the game is left like that for so long? its not like this is a missing ammo pouch on a model or some minor thing like that. dont they want to sell the v4 upgrade/v4 games? id love to buy by not like that.

36 minutes ago, Pandur said:

i guess the day the patch is out, i buy v4 upgrade. since i just wana play the game and not test out stuff or compare different engine versions there is no real reason for me to buy v4 upgrade right now. i could fork out that money no problem, i would love to have the other v4 improvements but i am not willing to have a large potion of the scenarios kinda ruined by the quirk that is in the v4 upgrade.

i am just puzzled why the game is left like that for so long? its not like this is a missing ammo pouch on a model or some minor thing like that. dont they want to sell the v4 upgrade/v4 games? id love to buy by not like that.

If I were to make a guess, they released it to soon, and didn't take into account for some things like what Factor X might do to Factor Y, along with Proper Play testing, etc,...Thou, BF is generally good at taking care of these things before a release...But, who knows.

5 hours ago, JoMc67 said:

If I were to make a guess, they released it to soon, and didn't take into account for some things like what Factor X might do to Factor Y, along with Proper Play testing, etc,...Thou, BF is generally good at taking care of these things before a release...But, who knows.

They thought this was a good and logical behavior until a lot of players began complaining about it. I'm talking about the retreating under bombardment behavior here.

Edited by Ivan Zaitzev

On 11/13/2017 at 10:01 AM, Pandur said:

My understanding is that BFC has been backlogged with stuff and simply haven't had the time to rip open the code and try to mend then test it. Bug fixing/testing requires a lot of time that takes away from other projects. As I said they have been backlogged for a while now, so taking more time to bug fix would only make the problem worse. The good news is, they are aware of the bug and have said that it will be the first thing addressed when a patch is worked on. 

On 11/13/2017 at 10:47 AM, JoMc67 said:

This is my understanding as well. BFC is generally very good about releasing updates, and they are good about releasing patches that address major issues. Though they are a bit slow on releasing patches, generally major fixes aren't required. I too think that the upgrade was rushed. I don't think it was adequately tested before it was given the green light. But again, I believe this is mostly to do with them being backlogged more than anything else. 

On 11/13/2017 at 11:12 AM, Ivan Zaitzev said:

They thought this was a good and logical behavior until a lot of players began complaining about it. I'm talking about the retreating under bombardment behavior here.

I don't think this is the case. They have already said that fixing the faulty behavior is a top priority. So not only are they going to fix it, but they acknowledge that it is in fact faulty. As JoMc said, I think it mostly came down to rushed testing.