Hard Choice!

14 minutes ago, slysniper said:

And since I know how you love to run your men to bloody glory.

Evade can also be used as a assault command.

Just think of it as the button to make you a Russian commissar

Oooohhh...I like it!!!

And the best part? I can tell my (pitiful) men that I'm allowing them to "evade" the enemy! They'll leap at the chance, thinking that their pathetic lives mean something to me, and they'll be that much more motivated to close the distance to the enemy.

I like the way you think.

39 minutes ago, c3k said:

Oooohhh...I like it!!!

And the best part? I can tell my (pitiful) men that I'm allowing them to "evade" the enemy! They'll leap at the chance, thinking that their pathetic lives mean something to me, and they'll be that much more motivated to close the distance to the enemy.

I like the way you think.

In the right situations, it works better than the assault command.

26 minutes ago, slysniper said:

In the right situations, it works better than the assault command.

I've read several threads on the forum that advised against using the Assault command.  The threads recommended splitting squads into fire teams and then micro managing their attack.  It seems you found a way to use the Assault command that you are satisfied with (unless it was just part of the joking around with c3k but I think you were serious).  As a result of those other threads I have never really used the Assault command except, IIRC a long time ago, with Italian formations that can't be split. Do you have any tricks or tips on using the command that you wouldn't mind sharing? Maybe I'll give this another look. 

3 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

I've read several threads on the forum that advised against using the Assault command.  The threads recommended splitting squads into fire teams and then micro managing their attack.  It seems you found a way to use the Assault command that you are satisfied with (unless it was just part of the joking around with c3k but I think you were serious).  As a result of those other threads I have never really used the Assault command except, IIRC a long time ago, with Italian formations that can't be split. Do you have any tricks or tips on using the command that you wouldn't mind sharing? Maybe I'll give this another look. 

Well, first, you need to decide for yourself if the assault command is worth using or not, the only way to decide that is to test it and try it.

For me, as long as I know I have suppressive fire on the target and they are going to keep their heads down. then using assault is not a issue, its a choice.

my other option is using another move command or the evade button as a move.

now what is going to dictate which I choose, most of the time its other events on the map that are helping make the decision.

evade will make all my men move to the target fast, not likely break or pin and get there about the same time. (thus not a joke, its a good assault option.)

but if I do not want to risk a whole unit in such a move, then assault might be the best option.

if I might receive fire from other directions and I have some cover in route to the target, then maybe quick is the best choice. There is never one answer for these things, and darn it sometimes I don't pick the best one, thus the reason its so fun to play.

There  are a ton of choices

like If I run them through deep snow or mud getting to the house or run them down the road via the move or assault line placing it directly over areas with good ground will result in less exhaustion

If you want to move them fast through snow you may think it is easy but deep snow will make them not move fast and get MG-42/34 - d.

I think the best is assault or crawling down road with  no snow.

Edited by user1000

5 minutes ago, Mord said:

Is this a theoretical tactical discussion or are you trying to decide a move?

Mord.

yes discussion of tactics and  just seeing what you guys would do in the situation. Realizing ground conditions and weather plays huge in the battle Checking it alone can save many tanks from immobilizing  and troops.

Edited by user1000

LOL. Ah, good. I was like is he STILL trying to decide? That would make for some loooong games. Personally, I'd fast move them and take my chances. Slow, would most likely cause even more casualties, unless they could break LOS/LOF within 10-20 secs.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

On ‎21‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 8:25 AM, user1000 said:

yes discussion of tactics and  just seeing what you guys would do in the situation. Realizing ground conditions and weather plays huge in the battle Checking it alone can save many tanks from immobilizing  and troops.

So what are the ground and weather conditions in this scenario about which we are being requested to make a choice?

1 hour ago, Jaeger Jonzo said:

What is this ‘evade’ command you guys keep referring too? Is it a hot key combo as I do not see it in any menu. Confused!

From the CMBN manual; these three buttons will be above the orders panel:

I357HV6.png

The right most one, which looks like an intersection with arrows, is the evade command. Pressing it will give troops a fast command and make them ignore enemy fire (thus, even if they're pinned, they'll move). It's meant to assume risk and try to get out of a kill zone despite heavy fire. You can drag and drop the waypoint to wherever you like, like a normal one - and you can also change it to a 'slow' command without getting rid of the positive effects already mentioned.

• 1 month later...