Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • Battlefront.com

      Final Blitzkrieg v1.01 released!   05/21/2016

      Once again proving that we don't sleep much, we have just released v1.01 for CM: Final Blitzkrieg.  There's lots of great improvements and fixes now just one download away.  Click HERE to see the release notes and download links.  Thanks to everybody for reporting issues and special thanks to the testers who make sure we don't overlook them.
    • Battlefront.com

      Special Upgrade 4 Tech Tips   12/27/2016

      Hi all! Now that Upgrade 4 is out and about in large quantities we have now discovered a few SNAFUs that happen out in the scary, real world that is home computing.  Fortunately the rate of problems is extremely small and so far most are easily worked around.  We've identified a few issues that have similar causes which we have clear instructions for work arounds here they are: 1.  CMRT Windows customers need to re-license their original key.  This is a result of improvements to the licensing system which CMBN, CMBS, and CMFB are already using.  To do this launch CMRT with the Upgrade and the first time enter your Engine 4 key.  Exit and then use the "Activate New Products" shortcut in your CMRT folder, then enter your Engine 3 license key.  That should do the trick. 2.  CMRT and CMBN MacOS customers have a similar situation as #2, however the "Activate New Products" is inside the Documents folder in their respective CM folders.  For CMBN you have to go through the process described above for each of your license keys.  There is no special order to follow. 3.  For CMBS and CMFB customers, you need to use the Activate New Products shortcut and enter your Upgrade 4 key.  If you launch the game and see a screen that says "LICENSE FAILURE: Base Game 4.0 is required." that is an indication you haven't yet gone through that procedure.  Provided you had a properly functioning copy before installing the Upgrade, that should be all you need to do.  If in the future you have to install from scratch on a new system you'll need to do the same procedure for both your original license key and your Upgrade 4.0 key. 4.  There's always a weird one and here it is.  A few Windows users are not getting "Activate New Products" shortcuts created during installation.  Apparently anti-virus software is preventing the installer from doing its job.  This might not be a problem right now, but it will prove to be an issue at some point in the future.  The solution is to create your own shortcut using the following steps: Disable your anti-virus software before you do anything. Go to your Desktop, right click on the Desktop itself, select NEW->SHORTCUT, use BROWSE to locate the CM EXE that you are trying to fix. The location is then written out. After it type in a single space and then paste this:

      -showui

      Click NEXT and give your new Shortcut a name (doesn't matter what). Confirm that and you're done. Double click on the new Shortcut and you should be prompted to license whatever it is you need to license. At this time we have not identified any issues that have not been worked around.  Let's hope it stays that way Steve
    • Battlefront.com

      Forum Reorganization   10/12/2017

      We've reorganized our Combat Mission Forums to reflect the fact that most of you are now running Engine 4 and that means you're all using the same basic code.  Because of that, there's no good reason to have the discussion about Combat Mission spread out over 5 separate sets of Forums.  There is now one General Discussion area with Tech Support and Scenario/Mod Tips sub forums.  The Family specific Tech Support Forums have been moved to a new CM2 Archives area and frozen in place. You might also notice we dropped the "x" from distinguishing between the first generation of CM games and the second.  The "x" was reluctantly adopted back in 2005 or so because at the time we had the original three CM games on European store shelves entitled CM1, CM2, and CM3 (CMBO, CMBB, and CMAK).  We didn't want to cause confusion so we added the "x".  Time has moved on and we have to, so the "x" is now gone from our public vocabulary as it has been from our private vocabulary for quite a while already.  Side note, Charles *NEVER* used the "x" so now we're all speaking the same language as him.  Which is important since he is the one programming them

Recommended Posts

You have no tank or smoke support. If pined down by enemy mg far away, would you rather have troops crawl into a house avoiding all casualties and go through their exhaustion time (5 min or more!) or move them fast across the field into the house risking the men to the mg fire, but not being exhausted when they get there?

Edited by user1000

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you mean Pinned in an Arbitrary sense, and since the MG is far away, then I would use 'Quick' (in hopes CM gives a slight Moral boost for using 'Quick' vs 'Fast') to the House...However, if you mean 'Pinned' in CM terms, then it would be hard to move at all until recovered.

Joe

 

Edited by JoMc67

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JoMc67 said:

If you mean Pinned in an Arbitrary sense, and since the MG is far away, then I would use 'Quick' (in hopes CM gives a slight Moral boost for using 'Quick' vs 'Fast') to the House...However, if you mean 'Pinned' in CM terms, then it would be hard to move at all until recovered.

Joe

 

If I recall correctly:  Quick vs Fast also depends.  Fast troops don't hesitate as soon as Quick ones might.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Movement tends to become FAST whether you order MOVE or QUICK (unless suppressed).

Perhaps the question should be what would YOU do in the circumstances?  That is generally what I ask myself to attempt to make things as realistic as I can.  (Not what YOU would do, but what I would do.  Maybe I should also consider what YOU would do.  But, I don't know you very well.  Hmmm...  something to think about...)

Edited by Erwin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, user1000 said:

hmmm.. seems you would all just sit  with your tail between you legs or run back to friendly lines...

Wargame players are known to be smarter than yer average person.  ^_^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, user1000 said:

You have no tank or smoke support. If pined down by enemy mg far away, would you rather have troops crawl into a house avoiding all casualties and go through their exhaustion time (5 min or more!) or move them fast across the field into the house risking the men to the mg fire, but not being exhausted when they get there?

Distance between house and initial position?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, weapon2010 said:

exhausted men can recover and fight, casualties cant

but then the clock is ticking and you have to wait for your men to come back down form fatigue level to aim or move normal again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Erwin said:

Wargame players are known to be smarter than yer average person.  ^_^

Spock: "He is intelligent, but not experienced...His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking"...Kirk: "Tee Minus 500 meters" ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 10:07 AM, user1000 said:

You have no tank or smoke support. If pined down by enemy mg far away, would you rather have troops crawl into a house avoiding all casualties and go through their exhaustion time (5 min or more!) or move them fast across the field into the house risking the men to the mg fire, but not being exhausted when they get there?

Order 'em to move fast/quick, whichever is available. Hard to hit a laterally moving target. If they get hit, well, it'll motivate the rest to move faster. Win, win.

If they're so out of shape that they can only go Normal, then send them at the distant enemy's position as punishment for their laziness. Perhaps being a bullet sponge would be the most useful role they could perform.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/11/2017 at 9:07 AM, user1000 said:

You have no tank or smoke support. If pined down by enemy mg far away, would you rather have troops crawl into a house avoiding all casualties and go through their exhaustion time (5 min or more!) or move them fast across the field into the house risking the men to the mg fire, but not being exhausted when they get there?

In theory they would have an overwatch that would suppress the MG.  But if something happened to the overwatch.............  I would split into teams.  (Maybe you only have one team? Don't know)  If they can avoid casualties by crawling they can probably avoid casualties by staying prone Hide and waiting on an overwatch unit to come to their aid.  If things are so FUBAR that this is not an option........................   I would have them use their own smoke grenades (if they have them).  Then with or without smoke grenades I would have them Quick for 24 meters Pause 10 seconds and Hide - then Quick for 24 meters Pause 10 seconds and Hide - etc. until in cover. If I had multiple teams they would alternate their Quick moves.  The Pauses should disrupt the OpFor aiming process.  Of course you may wind up with a Casvac situation before this is over. :o   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Moving for a short distance (10m-20m) then pausing and hiding has worked well in my experience in most situations where one's troops are moving in sight of enemy (if not already being shot at).  Recommend to move FAST for a short distance in this situation however.  If you use QUICK, the AI could make your troops stop and return fire.

eg:  I had an AT team move QUICK and while moving they spotted an enemy tank.  The AI had them stop and shoot the tank.  In this case it was a pleasure to watch.  In the situation described above, you would not want them to stop and return fire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Erwin said:

<Snip> Moving for a short distance (10m-20m) then pausing and hiding has worked well in my experience in most situations where one's troops are moving in sight of enemy (if not already being shot at).  Recommend to move FAST for a short distance in this situation however.  If you use QUICK, the AI could make your troops stop and return fire. <Snip> 

That's a good point.  I was thinking of the fatigue effect.  @user1000 said it was 200 feet distance to cover.  Not sure if he meant 200 feet (61 meters) or he meant 200 meters.  I am guessing 200 meters since meters is the in game measurement.  But Fast might work or Quick with a 360o  Target Arc.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/11/2017 at 10:45 PM, user1000 said:

but then the clock is ticking and you have to wait for your men to come back down form fatigue level to aim or move normal again.

As fatigued units have no penalty to accuracy then crawl would be the logical option so as to minimise casualties and combat stress. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"...fatigued units have no penalty to accuracy..." 

That surprised me.  When one thinks "fatigued", one visualizes breathing heavily, adrenalin and high blood pressure affecting eyesight etc.   You sure about that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Erwin said:

"...fatigued units have no penalty to accuracy..." 

That surprised me.  When one thinks "fatigued", one visualizes breathing heavily, adrenalin and high blood pressure affecting eyesight etc.   You sure about that?

I realise it's counter intuitive but the only factor shown to affect accuracy is experience. Exhausted regulars will shoot better than rested conscripts. This was tested on upgrade 4.0 so I can't say if the case was different for earlier versions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 6:57 PM, c3k said:

Order 'em to move fast/quick, whichever is available. Hard to hit a laterally moving target. If they get hit, well, it'll motivate the rest to move faster. Win, win.

If they're so out of shape that they can only go Normal, then send them at the distant enemy's position as punishment for their laziness. Perhaps being a bullet sponge would be the most useful role they could perform.

actually you are almost correct, I would do as you and get them the heck out of there but I would use the evade command for my movement.

Evade button is the best tool in the game. Not only will the troops run to cover, but they will resist the urge to drop and get pinned again. I have found evade to be one of the best movement commands in the game.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, slysniper said:

actually you are almost correct, I would do as you and get them the heck out of there but I would use the evade command for my movement.

Evade button is the best tool in the game. Not only will the troops run to cover, but they will resist the urge to drop and get pinned again. I have found evade to be one of the best movement commands in the game.

 

Good point. I very often forget about using the Evade button. Good reminder on its use.

Edited by c3k

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

+1 for using the evade button. It is also *the* way to get pinned troops to actually move. Just giving them a regular order might just be cancelled but using the evade button it will not. At least I have never seen it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course, but the flip side is that they're pinned for a reason more often than not. I use evade habitually as well but sometimes you gotta wait for the fire to slacken or you're going to feed the enemy casualties even faster. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Rinaldi said:

Of course, but the flip side is that they're pinned for a reason more often than not. I use evade habitually as well but sometimes you gotta wait for the fire to slacken or you're going to feed the enemy casualties even faster. 

Mmm, casualties.

Delicious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, c3k said:

Good point. I very often forget about using the Evade button. Good reminder on its use.

And since I know how you love to run your men to bloody glory.

Evade can also be used as a assault command.

 

Just think of it as the button to make you a Russian commissar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×