Wrong uniforms?

I recall that there can be only one "type" of uniform assigned or modded in a game; things like "infantry", "airborne", "ranger", and such.  If this scenario uses a "regular" infantry unit to represent the 2/325 Glider Infantry instead of an "airborne" unit, it will use the same uniform for glider and regular infantry troop types.  To verify, consider the following:

1.   Open this battle in the scenario editor and see how the GIR was selected and named.
  2.   Run the CMBN game "Rezexplode" utility and check the USA uniform outputs to see every USA uniform type the game uses.

Based on what you discover, you may (or may not) be able to make the change you desire.  For what it's worth, glider troops were often underrated by their peers, so let them march on and accomplish the mission with whatever uniforms issued!  B)

Good luck and let us know how things turn out.

Were glider infantry actually issued different uniform?  Paras were, for the simple reason they jump out of aeroplanes for a living and thus have particular needs, glider troops weren't supposed to do that.

I'm not a uniform expert by any means (got the books, can't be arsed to read them, too boring, not enough tanks), but might this be the explanation?

2 hours ago, Erwin said:

There are a large number of uniform mods available.  You'll need to search the BG Repository or CMMODS:  http://cmmodsiii.greenasjade.net/

That doesn't really answer his question.

1 hour ago, Badger73 said:

I recall that there can be only one "type" of uniform assigned or modded in a game; things like "infantry", "airborne", "ranger", and such.  If this scenario uses a "regular" infantry unit to represent the 2/325 Glider Infantry instead of an "airborne" unit, it will use the same uniform for glider and regular infantry troop types.  To verify, consider the following:

US Airborne formations have the option of wearing a 101st or 82 AB uniform. IIRC they can also choose to wear a plain, no-insignia uniform. Easy enough to open up the editor and see. :) (Also, been a while since I checked, but I think glider infantry also have uniform-specific options as well).

Edited by LukeFF

12 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Were glider infantry actually issued different uniform?  Paras were, for the simple reason they jump out of aeroplanes for a living and thus have particular needs, glider troops weren't supposed to do that.

I'm not a uniform expert by any means (got the books, can't be arsed to read them, too boring, not enough tanks), but might this be the explanation?

Maybe, but I made a quick mission with glider infantry just to check and they wore airborne uniforms

1 hour ago, Badger73 said:

1.   Open this battle in the scenario editor and see how the GIR was selected and named.
  2.   Run the CMBN game "Rezexplode" utility and check the USA uniform outputs to see every USA uniform type the game uses.

Based on what you discover, you may (or may not) be able to make the change you desire.  For what it's worth, glider troops were often underrated by their peers, so let them march on and accomplish the mission with whatever uniforms issued!  B)

Good luck and let us know how things turn out.

Can't seem to open a campaign mission with the scenario editor?

Yes I guess but I think the little guys looks so cool in the airborne uniform.

Wow can't believe that they were underrated, I think the whole glider plane idea is crazy, and anyone willingly getting on those "planes" should get a medal :)

2 hours ago, LukeFF said:

That doesn't really answer his question.

US Airborne formations have the option of wearing a 101st or 82 AB uniform. IIRC they can also choose to wear a plain, no-insignia uniform. Easy enough to open up the editor and see. :) (Also, been a while since I checked, but I think glider infantry also have uniform-specific options as well).

Keep me honest here @LukeFF, but I think the RtM campaign was created early on in CMBN before you had the uniform option that was added later. I vaguely recall having to edit some of my uniform mods to get glider infantry to wear para uniforms.  It has been a while so my memory could be faulty.

Currently if you apply "standard" they still get Para uniforms (82nd AB)

2 minutes ago, sburke said:

Keep me honest here @LukeFF, but I think the RtM campaign was created early on in CMBN before you had the uniform option that was added later. I vaguely recall having to edit some of my uniform mods to get glider infantry to wear para uniforms.  It has been a while so my memory could be faulty.

Currently if you apply "standard" they still get Para uniforms (82nd AB)

It's been a while, but I think RtM was one of the stock campaigns. Concerning the uniforms - I'm not sure. I've been looking at images of glider infantry in Normandy, and it looks like the standard infantry uniform would be the correct choice. That, and the glider troops (perhaps all of them?) were part of the 82nd Airborne.

325th GIR troops in Normandy:

100416626.jpg 

post-1681-1261577794.jpg

Mord, good to see you back.  Got your PM...no, I never did redo the HG div uniforms.  Haven't modded in ages (except for some stuff just for me---not good enough to put out there).  Been pretty dormant in CM since last May...real life family issues, a quadruple bypass in August...you know, the usual stuff!

Yep. The problem is the naming conventions have been changed since the campaign was released. I am running him a work around so he can just pop the unis in the mod folder and be on his way.

Damn, man. That's some heavy surgery. Glad you are doing well and made it out ok.

Yeah, I just got my CM passion reignited after some big changes the last two years. So, minus the heart surgery, I know the feeling.

Well, get that Adobe going and fix all those great mods!

Mord.

Welcome. Actually MJ (above) and EZ did those many moons ago. Just needed to rename them so you could use them in the campaign without having to edit it. They were made long before all the engine upgrades. They will show up for all US infantry for as long as you leave them in the mod folder. They actually should be renamed as "smod_american_m41_uniform [82nd]" then they would only show up when the 82nd uniform is chosen from the drop down tab in the editor, which you can do on a squad by squad basis.

I am gonna go ahead and delete that link seeing that you got them.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

39 minutes ago, Badger73 said:

Rats, @Mord!  I was interested in checking those out.  :o

You most likely already have them. If not, check out MJ's stuff at CMMODS (you'll need to edit them). All I did was rename the uni and helmet files so he could use them as regular infantry, as in drop in folder, they show up. When that campaign was made we didn't have options for uniform selection in CM2 in the editor. If it was made today technically, you could have 82nd AB, 82nd glider (infantry), 101st, 101st glider (infantry), and say, 1st ID, all on the map at the same time wearing their respective unis. Those hard coded tags kickass, no replacing/overwriting like when we make them.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

18 hours ago, Swant said:

Maybe, but I made a quick mission with glider infantry just to check and they wore airborne uniforms

You have all the modules? Glider infantry begin wearing the same Airborne Uniforms in September, 1944; as they did in reality. Holland QBs and scenarios will depict them as such. In Normandy the GIRs wore the standard infantry battledress. Hence why you see them wearing that in the earlier campaigns.

Edited by Rinaldi

7 hours ago, Rinaldi said:

You have all the modules? Glider infantry begin wearing the same Airborne Uniforms in September, 1944; as they did in reality. Holland QBs and scenarios will depict them as such. In Normandy the GIRs wore the standard infantry battledress. Hence why you see them wearing that in the earlier campaigns.

Ok interesting! Thx

On 11/6/2017 at 4:21 PM, Mord said:
16 hours ago, Mord said:

You most likely already have them. If not, check out MJ's stuff at CMMODS (you'll need to edit them). All I did was rename the uni and helmet files so he could use them as regular infantry, as in drop in folder, they show up. When that campaign was made we didn't have options for uniform selection in CM2 in the editor. If it was made today technically, you could have 82nd AB, 82nd glider (infantry), 101st, 101st glider (infantry), and say, 1st ID, all on the map at the same time wearing their respective unis. Those hard coded tags kickass, no replacing/overwriting like when we make them.

Mord.

@Mord - which mod name?  Can you post the CMODSIII URL for them?  Thanks.