Scalable UI

2 minutes ago, AtheistDane said:

Any chance we might see improvements/customizability (due to new graphics options or the ability of the game engine to take advantage of new hardware) in model and terrain draw distance in the next patch, Steve? 

Not likely.  There's a lot of internal balance in the code built upon certain assumptions.  That's the way code is written, unfortunately.  It's not always feasible for players to have control over those variables.  Any restructuring of code to allow more control is probably, almost certainly, very involved.  It's nothing that I can see going into a patch.  I'm not even sure it is something that can go into an Upgrade.

Steve

I long for when we can personalize armor. We are so close now but the game still assigns bmps at random. If that was changed we could have tanks and such with names/different camos/art on them without duplication.

Mord.

+1

In addition to scalable UI, have also longed for a revamped ACQUIRE routine that allows units to swap weapons and ammo with adjacent units (with limitations of course); the ability of being able to order the AI to move a main weapons a few inches so it can attain LOS and shoot at what the 3rd loader can see and shoot at; one mouse click ability to set 180 degree arcs (as in CM1) etc etc.

It's the UI that really needs TLC so that players can waste less time on figuring out how to do certain things using the game interface (eg making multiple mouse clicks when one could do), and spend that time on the more fun decisions re tactics & strategy.

13 hours ago, Erwin said:

+1

In addition to scalable UI, have also longed for a revamped ACQUIRE routine that allows units to swap weapons and ammo with adjacent units (with limitations of course); the ability of being able to order the AI to move a main weapons a few inches so it can attain LOS and shoot at what the 3rd loader can see and shoot at; one mouse click ability to set 180 degree arcs (as in CM1) etc etc.

It's the UI that really needs TLC so that players can waste less time on figuring out how to do certain things using the game interface (eg making multiple mouse clicks when one could do), and spend that time on the more fun decisions re tactics & strategy.

Now, Now, Erwin, be careful not to derail this thread :mellow: 

16 hours ago, Erwin said:

+1

I am intrigued, please elaborate more. Also could we have some of the commands that CM1 had like 'shoot and scoot"    and "human wave" ?

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 7:25 PM, Mord said:

I long for when we can personalize armor. We are so close now but the game still assigns bmps at random. If that was changed we could have tanks and such with names/different camos/art on them without duplication.

Mord.

As I understand it, going back to the old rag-tag mod, the game actually assigns everything in a cycle or something, depending on the number appended to the file name.
I suppose, one could simply make a hundred or so unique .bmp's then you'd have one for every tank?

Talk about working for your hobby though...

EDIT: Here it is: http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=314&func=fileinfo&id=665

Edited by SLIM

The primary reason that CM doesn't allow custom graphics on a per vehicle basis or per building basis is the impact on VRAM.  Back when the game was coded people still had 128MB cards!  Over the years we've dramatically increased the variety and range of textures available in any one battle, but I think we've only recently got to the point where cards can handle customized per vehicle/building textures *AND* have room for everything else.

Steve

6 hours ago, SLIM said:

As I understand it, going back to the old rag-tag mod, the game actually assigns everything in a cycle or something, depending on the number appended to the file name.
I suppose, one could simply make a hundred or so unique .bmp's then you'd have one for every tank?

Nah, I am not talking about customizing a hundred tanks/vehicles (though people might try that). But I am talking about having the option/ability within the game to have either slightly modified to full on differences between say, two of the same Panthers, numbered turrets for example, that don't duplicate at random, or two different camo schemes. The rag tagging can't be relied on. Just do some tests with Kieme's Abrams barrels and you can see it in action. You might start off with say six Abrams with six different names but once you go out of the editor and back in it all switches. I just did a test where all the barrels were different in the editor. I saved as a scenario, then loaded it up as a battle and there were duplicates. Just tried it again from the saved game file and all different again. So, if you were actually playing a scenario, saved and went back, it all would be changed. Smith's tank may have been Magneto during your first 12 turns but on turn 13, loaded from a save, he's now in Ironman. And unfortunately mod tagging can't solve it because that will only allow one texture set to be used per Tag. And you can't tag individual vehicles.

4 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

The primary reason that CM doesn't allow custom graphics on a per vehicle basis or per building basis is the impact on VRAM.  Back when the game was coded people still had 128MB cards!  Over the years we've dramatically increased the variety and range of textures available in any one battle, but I think we've only recently got to the point where cards can handle customized per vehicle/building textures *AND* have room for everything else.

Steve

Thing is we pretty much have had that from CMBN onward, we can randomize vehicles until we grind our computers to a halt, just no way to make sure they stay the same each time we load up, or to stop duplication even if there are only two of the same vehicles in use. My theory/thought was to always have hull_1 go with turret_1. etc. And load them in sequence. Or maybe there'd be a way to apply decals to the hull and turret areas? But in the end the tank with the Indian chief would always need to be the tank with the Indian chief, if you want it in a scenario, as say your HQ tank. So, on and so forth.

Having all the randomization of infantry is awesome but it's the opposite on things like armor (though random equipment is cool), where you'd like a little bit of fidelity as far as the turret and hull go.

Hopefully you guys will consider it down the line. But man, LOL. after asking this question for about 6 years, it sure was cool to get a response!

Mord.

Edited by Mord

well I took the leap from a 24" 1920x1080 to a 27" 2560x 1440 IPS gaming monitor and I have to say CM has never looked so good.  I did a full upgrade on graphics card and cpu etc as well, to be fair, but the UI is still VERY readable at this particular native resolution.  Years left in the current engine IMHO.  cheers!

• 1 year later...
On 11/12/2017 at 7:30 AM, Battlefront.com said:

Steve

Yes I'm practicing necromancy by bringing this thread back from the dead,  but I hope folks will forgive me, since it's been a while, if I ask if at least vehicle numbering etc decals might be a thing in the not too distant future for the engine. 

Thanks