Put this here because the CMSF forum never seems to get any "official" replies.

Are we gonna get any update to terrain selections in the editor when SF2 is created?  There are quite a few options (slots) that have been added to the game that fit the Syrian landscape and will add to the depth and immersion of map making and scenarios.

weeds, grass tall, flowers, clover (changed to something more fitting to Syria), grass tall, grass extra tall (VERY IMPORTANT), lt forest, hvy forest, marsh, deep marsh, reeds, the 8 types of crops (changed to Syrian related farming).  

And now that there are three extra tree slots available it'd be nice to see some new flora to fit them. May I suggest;

Small palm, palmetto-type plant, barrel type palm, eucalyptus tree.

Small_palm.jpg

Palmetto.jpg

Palmetto_2.jpg

Eucalyptus_Trees.png

Edited by Mord

Wow... I can already see CMSFII blasting through the record sales.

Who knows, even though as @Battlefront.com said, don't expect it out on January 1st 2018 - when will pre-orders start. Is that usually, few weeks before release. Or few months ? Cant recall.

Probably, the very first thing we ll see - is a dedicated forum section. Any rough ideas when that will hit the online view.

@Mord - The existing terrain types hopefully. New tree models - unlikely

Steve has said all they are looking to do is port the game to the new engine, but it will take account of water, bridges etc and so hopefully we will see all the relevant tile types carried across given they already exist. I don't think we will see any new models.

P

They shouldn't let those three extra tree slots go to waste! That's not eco friendly. Just think how much cleaner the air will be if those three slots had new trees filtering all the horrible carbon dioxide. Steve, why do you hate the planet?

Man, I can't wait for this game!

Mord.

On 10/28/2017 at 4:54 AM, Mord said:

They shouldn't let those three extra tree slots go to waste! That's not eco friendly. Just think how much cleaner the air will be if those three slots had new trees filtering all the horrible carbon dioxide. Steve, why do you hate the planet?

Because trees are fun to cut down and turn into lumber.  Man has to have a hobby, doesn't he? :)

Seriously though, trees are the single worst thing to do in the CM2 engine.  We have no plans to expand CMSF1's features as a rule.  The exceptions are the sorts of things Vanir mentioned.

3 hours ago, Sequoia said:

It will be interesting to see how the old CMSF non fog of war trenches are converted.

We're still having a discussion about that.  Going into the old scenarios and yanking them out is tricky.  New scenarios and QBs have access to the standard FoW trenches.

Steve

1 hour ago, Erwin said:

By the way, SS...  Are you going to complete your campaign and the standalone CMSF missions, or will you wait for CMSF2 b4 continuing?  

Good question.....Still plodding in the current version at the moment, if maps port across exactly I'll probably rejig the lot in the new game, but I'll be buggered if I'm doing all those internal doors again!

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Besides having nothing in common?  Sure :D

Seriously, there's a lot of differences.  Some of them are artificial, though, because certain features weren't available for CMSF that we have subsequently added.  The biggest is that Squads can act as HQ units, which wasn't true until Engine 2 or perhaps it was Engine 3.  There's quite a few major units in CMSF1 that will be reorganized for CMSF2.

Steve

9 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Is there any way to tweak the crewing options for vehicles, such that we could put a 'Fighter' or 'Combatant' crew in a T-72, Abrams or Leopard?  That would be very, very cool.  B)

I think the way this could be done is with a mod.  There is a mod for red vehicles in CMSF1 that replace the uniformed soldier with a uncon / ragtag type look.  I don't know of an equivalent mod for Blue forces but is probably possible.  I think @Mord made the red mod.  CMSF1 Mord's civil war mod, Mord's mixed combatants. 

Edit: Also @Jock Tamson did a mod with mixed combatints that added on to Mord's IIRC. 

Edited by MOS:96B2P

3 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Cheers MOS.....I'm gonna have to pick your brain about 'Mod Tags' at some point.

Just out of curiosity, why bother worrying about modding tank crews?  For the most part you never see them and I don’t think you can adjust the voice files.  You can still add any vehicle from any side by manipulating the forces in the data screen. I suspect even a jihadist would want a proper helmet in a tank. First time he bangs his head on a turret rim will make him want one :P

17 minutes ago, SLIM said:

The 4.0 upgrade should include the purchasing improvements for Quick Battles that we have all come to know and love.

Absolutely!  In fact, this week I was reminded of how much has changed regarding QBs since the CMSF/CMA system changed with CMBN.  Lots and lots of things in the TO&E coding have needed to be chucked and started again.  Thankfully it's for a good cause :D

Steve