Armoured Infantry

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, rocketman said:

"Mord Patton Rommel Jr." - must be their secret love child.

Actually, My dad, Mord Patton Rommel Sr. was an executive officer in a Toilettenreiniger battalion during the Great War. He was heartbroken when I didn't follow the military tradition he established under the Kaiser. But how could he understand that I had to go into halftrack gunnery so I could write books about it, and prove Emrys wrong 70+ years later?

Mord.

Edited by Mord

I suspect it also has to do with the limitations of CM's animations. A soldier is hit on a 1:1 basis (does the bullet intersect his model) and if there is a hit saving throws are occasionally had. This means that the standard position for a HT gunner (standing up, back straight) gives him a fair amount of exposure to fire whereas in reality he might be able to make himself a relatively small target.

Notice that the gunner could likely lose a foot of exposure by bending down, and could essentially hull down himself to whatever his target is. However, he instead stands straight backed creating a  man sized range target. In fact all the men in the rear of the track also move to a full standing position when they could crouch low and rest their rifles along the top of the armor. 

I tried to track down some images of soldiers firing from HTs, but I largely found in-transit photos. However, here is a German Soldier firing from the cupola of some armored vehicle. 

While exposed he is much lower to the body of the vehicle than CM troops are.