Master Maps for CMSF 2?

Sequoia

I am not sure what that question is but if it is what I suspect I think your answer was here

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 10:25 AM, Battlefront.com said:

Lots of questions, but I'll try to give a few short answers:

1.  Dragon is not part of Rome to Victory, but as mentioned it should be easy to simulate the battles with the new forces

2.  Yes, Waffen SS and rag-tag forces will be available for the Red Thunder Module

3.  Game engine development is always separate from any one specific title's development.  Yes, there will be patches for the current suite of Engine 4 games, though I don't know when.  The unintended consequence of the reactive bombardment TacAI feature of Engine 4 is definitely top on our list

4.  New game features, such as persistent map damage, is something for an Upgrade.  Though this particular feature has been previously shelved for various reasons

5.  CMSF2 will not be expanded in its initial release.  We're leaving open the possibility of adding content later.  However, we also have no plans to do so

6.  CMBS jumped ahead of others with its own Battle Pack, but is owed a Module.  We've been doing them in order of release and that means CMBS is theoretically next after CMRT.  Marines are an obvious selection for the first Module and the work being done for CMSF2 is going to pave the way for that to happen

Steve

1 hour ago, Combatintman said:

So it is going to be Syria - the impression I get about CMSF 2 is that there is no appetite to take it beyond the original setting

But whose appetite ? :-/ im sure Afghan/iraq setting would be equally welcomed.... however truth be told - these scenarios can be ‘easily’ replicated just like CMSF ? Am I correct in assuming so.

The setting/terrain can be replicated.  But, mods/graphics are limited by the existing vehicles/items in CMSF.  One can do quite a lot to change uniforms, but we can't change the shape of helmets if the shape isn't in CMSF.  One can't give troops the full mixture of weapons that are in CMA if they don't already exist in CMSF.

It would be great if CMSF2 featured more vehicles and weapons systems than merely in Syria  and in the original CMSF.  That would allow modders to do what you suggest.  But, does BF want to do that?

Just now, Erwin said:

The setting/terrain can be replicated.  But, mods/graphics are limited by the existing vehicles/items in CMSF.  One can do quite a lot to change uniforms, but we can't change the shape of helmets if the shape isn't in CMSF.  One can't give troops the full mixture of weapons that are in CMA if they don't already exist in CMSF.

It would be great if CMSF2 featured more vehicles and weapons systems than merely in Syria  and in the original CMSF.  That would allow modders to do what you suggest.  But, does BF want to do that?

So given the OOB of forces in the Syrian civil war, Iraq (including ISIS) and Afghanistan, what would you add?  

I think the biggest thing about CMSF1 that should port is the use of UNCONs...those can and have been modded a lot.

Yeah,  I'm really, really grateful they're updating CMSF after all these years, but I don't think lobbying for small (I won't use the term easy to do, since I don't know what it actually would take) additional content such as Sgt Squareheads Uncons with NATO weapons, and the Afghan looking 3d troop models from CM:A, and some of the flavor objects from CM:BS,  is out of line (wow, that was a run-on sentence). They would allow scenario makers to more easily adapt the game beyond the original Syrian scenario to other situations I'm sure many people would be interested in. 

51 minutes ago, Sequoia said:

Yeah,  I'm really, really grateful they're updating CMSF after all these years, but I don't think lobbying for small (I won't use the term easy to do, since I don't know what it actually would take) additional content such as Sgt Squareheads Uncons with NATO weapons, and the Afghan looking 3d troop models from CM:A, and some of the flavor objects from CM:BS,  is out of line (wow, that was a run-on sentence). They would allow scenario makers to more easily adapt the game beyond the original Syrian scenario to other situations I'm sure many people would be interested in. 

Pushing them to do more never hurts unless you build up an expectation you will get it.  It is a ton of work to get CMSF up to engine 4.  Hence BF seeming to put it out up front to not have expectations they are gonna pile stuff on.  The starting point to work from is CMSF with 4.0 capabilities.  That in itself means more than you had in CMSF, but I would not expect more than that at least for now.  The map overlay capability alone is gonna be worth it's weight in gold.  I am one of those who would love more...Taliban guys in CMSF would be so cool, but I'll leave that on my wish list now for maybe a future pack.

The afghan models in CMA for example are a no go.  They are not done the way BF does them so it would have to be all new models. 

8 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I'd very much like to see UnCons equipped with NATO weapons added to the Blue force list.....With a bit of mix & match in the editor (& a few mods) this would give scenario designers a LOT of options down the road.

So as I recall, dragonwynn's awesome campaign here had Afghan forces with NATO weapons...infantry weapons only, but it can be done.

That just changes the look, the model underneath is still using the original gear.....Faced this dilemma with the Mosul core and (collectively) decided 'no mods required' would be more immersive for the typical player.

We see the variety of weapons in UnCon hands in the news every night, so it does make sense....Surely with the more sophisticated TOE structure of Engine 4 it might be possible to have NATO/Ex-Sov/Mixed as options in the TOE tables (as we do with tanks, mortars etc. in the CM:BS TOE tables)?  Come to think of it this would make Blue UnCons unnecessary as we could just swap 'em over in the editor if needed.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Let me posit this question, which I don't believe has been asked as yet. This may indeed be asking for a feature, but will the old CMSF  scenarios be able to be imported into the new editor in order to be able to update them? I'm thinking the answer is no, but if it were yes, it would allow for many more scenarios to become available with hopefully not too much work.

P.S. Or am I wrong again, and this quote :

" Most importantly, Charles had to delicately code Engine 4 to understand the old scenario file format so everything that was made for CMSF1 works without modification in CMSF2.  "

mean what I'm asking for is not only possible but was a requirement for the whole thing to work?

Edited by Sequoia
P.S.

Yes, that quote means what you hope it means. That is the stated plan. So, good news for you / all.

We should all remember that while there are a lot of scenarios available, some of them were made while people were learning how to create scenarios, and all of them had less groups to work with along with no triggers. Couple that with behaviour changes that have been made in engine version 1, 2, 3 and 4 there could be some surprises. But worst case you can crack them open and tweak them if you need / want to.

Task Force Narwick was another I really liked. It filled my Heavy Infantry itch. Good times ahead. Do I assume correctly though that the old graphic mods probably won't work properly?

Edited by Sequoia
left out the word I in sentence 2

On 10/21/2017 at 10:10 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Are you sure.....If so I'd love to know how he achieved it?

@dragonwynn  Could you enlighten me at all please?

Hey sorry it took so long to respond, been busy with RL. The Afghan forces in the campaign were a mod by Blimey I believe that changes the Syrian irregulars to Afghan forces. I think they use the Syrian weapons in the campaign and not NATO, which is more realistic in the time frame that the campaign takes place.

Michael