PAK with 150mm shells

18 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

@StieliAlpha  There's a 50mm tube inside the perforated section (it extends about 2/3 of the length and is just visible if you study the image carefully) that fits into the muzzle, the perforated part fits over the muzzle brake:

7h5MV.jpg

Oops, that drawing is interesting, indeed.

Of course, if they slid it over the muzzle brake, the thing needed holes to vent the gas. But, whoah, those holes must create havoc to any idea of a flight path. And the tiny find don’t look like they would help much.

Hmmm, would be interesting to talk to their engineers. I wonder what they thoughts, designing this thing. 🤔

TBH it was something of a desperation measure.....If the KV is about to roll over your firing pit, it's time to go for the 150mm HEAT charge, at that range the lack of accuracy doesn't matter. 

I really miss having KVs to scare the bejesus out of German tanks.....Would love to see some more Ostfront stuff in due course.

Kv1.jpg

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

4 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

TBH it was something of a desperation measure.....If the KV is about to roll over your firing pit, it's time to go for the 150mm HEAT charge, at that range the lack of accuracy doesn't matter.

Yep, but why not use the same design as for the 37mm and get rid of the outer thing then?

Otherwise, I am impressed that you could read my previous post, so full of typos. One should not try to type in the commuter train...

Quite simply because the PAK-38 had a muzzle brake:

PAK-37:

pak%2035%2036%203.jpg

PAK-38:

pak38.jpg

The PAK-37's HEAT round also had holes to vent propellant, you can see them clearly here:

PaK_36_with_Stielgranate_41_displayed_Mi

PS - I believe that the cylindrical object by the gun's wheel is the ammo case for the HEAT round.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

The PAK-38 is 50mm, but yeah that's the measure of it.....Keep in mind that these weapons were only intended as a temporary stopgap, to give the AT units some punch against heavy tanks, until sufficient 75mm PAKs became available.

Another interim AT gun from this period was the PAK-97/38, which placed a modified French 75mm on a PAK-38 carriage:

75mm_m97-38_hameenlinna_1.jpg

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

The holes helped.

Think about a badminton birdie. The lack of mass behind the cg means that the aerodynamic center is aft of the cg...leading to a stable, non-spinning, round. Or, to put it in "normal" terms: the center of mass is in the front of the object. The aerodynamic center is further aft. That's the role of the holed sleeve.

These would be fired with "blanks". They had extremely short ranges, so accuracy only had to be "good enough". (I have my suspicions that the main role was to keep the men's morale up so they would stay put when the enemy tanks first started coming their way. After that, it was moot whether or not they wanted to leave. They were already committed.)

Ahh. "Shuttlecock", as in all things from the motherland, sounds so much better. TBH, I was not fully caffeinated when I tried to pull the proper word. I shall reset the coffeemaker timer to an earlier hour so this will not happen again. ;)

Edited by c3k

21 hours ago, c3k said:

Ahh. "Shuttlecock", as in all things from the motherland, sounds so much better. TBH, I was not fully caffeinated when I tried to pull the proper word. I shall reset the coffeemaker timer to an earlier hour so this will not happen again. ;)

Never mind guys. I played Badminton for more than 20 years (in my good times, five times a week), so I understood „birdie“ as well as „shuttlecock“. BTW, we called that thing just „shuttle“.😎

@c3k I understand the theory, still I think those holes look so brutal, that they would create turbulences, which would make a joke of anything like a straight flight path. Probably, the whole design was really more to bolster the confidence.

12 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Guys, keep in mind that shaped charges were in their infancy at the time.....TBH it was probably considered something of a techno-marvel in its day (especially if you found your self looking at the business end of a KV-1).  ;)

Reminds me to the old Steel Panthers days, when in one campaign my tiny battle group met with a substantial KV-1 and T34 force for the first time. My only solution was to call retreat on turn 1. Better to live and fight another day.