Engine 4 Patch?

Hi Battlefront !

As you know there are problems when using Engine 4 and the stock Combat Mission campaigns. They are specially noticeable in the Italy campaigns. When are you planning to release a patch to solve that problems? Can we expect that Engine 4 Patch soon?

Thanks in advance !

On 17/10/2017 at 5:12 PM, Armorgunner said:

You don´t happen to be "The" Txema. That done some fantastic modding in Steel Fury Kharkov 1942??

Hi Armorgunner !

Yes, I am !!!  Txema, the WWII tanksim fan :-)

But I just cooperate with the STA modding team, helping in several matters (testing, translations, discussions...). The STA team has several very talented and dedicated modders like Lockie, Will73, Deviator... These modders have done and continue doing an incredible work on Steel Fury Kharkov 1942, to turn it into "The" WWII tank sim :-) It is amazing what they have achieved with that tank sim, and they keep improving it and amazing the players time and again !

On 17/10/2017 at 7:35 PM, IICptMillerII said:

In the thread linked below Steve says that the issue is the top priority to fix in an upcoming patch:

Check number 3 specifically. 

Great CptMiller, thank you very much for the information !

However I can not understand why Battlefront is taking so much time to release a patch fixing that issue. The problem was reported and discussed already in April, and some players that purchased Engine 4 have "downgraded" to Engine 3 to avoid that problem that is game breaking for them... I have not purchased Engine 4 due to that reports and I decided to wait for the patch... I guess other players are doing the same. Why not fix that obvious problem of Engine 4 with a patch soon? It can make some campaigns unplayable for a significant number of players... 

Txema

1 hour ago, Txema said:

Great CptMiller, thank you very much for the information !

However I can not understand why Battlefront is taking so much time to release a patch fixing that issue. The problem was reported and discussed already in April, and some players that purchased Engine 4 have "downgraded" to Engine 3 to avoid that problem that is game breaking for them... I have not purchased Engine 4 due to that reports and I decided to wait for the patch... I guess other players are doing the same. Why not fix that obvious problem of Engine 4 with a patch soon? It can make some campaigns unplayable for a significant number of players... 

Txema

I agree that the bug is frustrating. I'm one of the people who have downgraded back to v3 on most of my CM games because I find the bug to be gamebreaking for me. The reason we haven't seen a patch yet is because patching these games is not easy. It takes a lot of time and effort, and then must be thoroughly tested before it can be released, and thats per title. So with a bug like this that affects all the games, its going to take a while to get a patch up. The good news is that BFC knows about the bug, and its their top priority to fix. We just have to be patient for the fix. 

I've guessed before that we might see a patch around the time that CMSF2 comes out. To me, it seems like that would be the logical time for a patch because they will have the code 'open' so to speak in order to upgrade CMSF. To me, that seems like the time to work in a fix to the new engine, when they're applying it to CMSF. Thats pure speculation on my part, and likely may not be the case mind you. 

Another thing I hope BF is looking into (and already discussed on the forum) is the ROF change of some Automatic Rifles & LMG's (B.A.R, Bren, etc) where these Weapons are firing single rounds starting at around the 175 or so meter range. This while other LMG's like the MG-34, etc seem to maintain their pre Engine 4 Upgrade ROF.

As it stands, the MG-34,42, for example is even more dominant now in the Engine 4 Upgrade.

Now, I did mention in one of the discussions that I don't mind having these Magazine Armed units like B.A.R, Bren, Assault Rifles, etc start firing single rounds starting at around the 250 meter range (medium range across the board), and keep their 2-4, round bursts under that range.

9 hours ago, JoMc67 said:

Another thing I hope BF is looking into (and already discussed on the forum) is the ROF change of some Automatic Rifles & LMG's (B.A.R, Bren, etc) where these Weapons are firing single rounds starting at around the 175 or so meter range. This while other LMG's like the MG-34, etc seem to maintain their pre Engine 4 Upgrade ROF.

As it stands, the MG-34,42, for example is even more dominant now in the Engine 4 Upgrade.

Now, I did mention in one of the discussions that I don't mind having these Magazine Armed units like B.A.R, Bren, Assault Rifles, etc start firing single rounds starting at around the 250 meter range (medium range across the board), and keep their 2-4, round bursts under that range.

I don't mind the new ROF for the various automatic rifles. I think they're more realistic. The BAR was never fired on its fast ROF fire mode as it was simply too uncontrollable. The fact is, the Bren and BAR are not machine guns, they're automatic rifles. Even with bipods and the capability of fully automatic fire, their extremely limited ammo capacity of 20 or 30 rounds makes it impractical to fire bursts at targets over 150 meters. For that you need a belt fed machine gun. The MG34/42 will always outclass them as it was a squad based rapidly deployable belt fed machine gun.  The BAR/Bren simply cannot compete. 

6 hours ago, Hister said:

How do you downgrade to engine version 3?

Pretty easy. As I understand, Combat Mission at its core is comprised of three elements.

The game's .exe which contains all the game's logic (game code, TO&E, AI, unit statistics, etc...).

The .brz data files which contain all the assets (those are packages of other file types such as .bmp images, .wmv audio, and text files)

Third-party .dll libraries (of redundancy) that have various uses.

When you update a game, the .exe is replaced and .brz data files are added. To go to any version, all you need is the version's .exe and all data files up to that version (.brz are named in sequence). So, just run the update that brings you to the version you want and delete all .brz files from later versions. In your case, run your game's 3.0 Engine Upgrade patch... if it was a stock 3.0 title, then your only option is to re-install (unless someone can get you hooked up with the game's 3.0 .exe).

On ‎2017‎-‎10‎-‎20 at 6:18 PM, Txema said:

Hi Armorgunner !

Yes, I am !!!  Txema, the WWII tanksim fan :-)

But I just cooperate with the STA modding team, helping in several matters (testing, translations, discussions...). The STA team has several very talented and dedicated modders like Lockie, Will73, Deviator... These modders have done and continue doing an incredible work on Steel Fury Kharkov 1942, to turn it into "The" WWII tank sim :-) It is amazing what they have achieved with that tank sim, and they keep improving it and amazing the players time and again !

Nice knowing that you are here though :D. Amazing game, and I appreciate all the work that you have done. To make it even better, which you have succeeded with.