Us Half-Track Rear MG Pointless?

I have not found an instance where I can successfully use the rear .30cal gunner in the half track. I have tried reverse, to a hull down position but the back of the half track, where the doors are is so weak firefights do not last long. Moving the HT side ways they rarely engage targets. I think the guy back there is more for really limited rear defense if you get past enemy lines. Also I don't think he can swing his gun 180 degrees back there more like 90 degrees. Pretty pointless. I think they should have put the 50 in back and 30 in front. But I didn't design the vehicle :D

• 2 weeks later...

I've never found much use for them personally, but if your battle plan relies on backing up a halftrack towards the enemy I think you need to rethink your plan. :D

My (rough) understanding was they were more for adding extra lead into the sky against low flying aircraft - something a bit pointless given the time frame of the current titles. I'm also 99% sure that in game only dedicated flak units can shoot up at aircraft as they approach and fly over the map, making the extra MG moot.

I've seen them manned briefly when a target of opportunity just happens to be in its arc of fire, and there needs to be a passenger in the halftrack. I suppose the concern was with the narrow tracked roads in the forest, a half track would be unable to turn and face all those Germans lurking in the woods.