An upgrade question

I did this and did not see any TOE changes in a v3.12 scenario which I upgraded to v4.00.  I think you should be fine after you upgrade.  I suspect you are thinking of the TOE changes which occurred between v1.00 and later versions and want to avoid those issues.

SUGGESTION:  Before upgrading to v4.00, copy your entire Combat Mission folder to a different directory on another drive.  Then you will retain both a v3.12 version and a v4.00 version for such comparisons.

The way the TO&E system works is any structural improvements to formations do not apply to existing scenarios.  That is deliberate because it could affect balance, placement, etc.  For example, we find that Formation A in fact did not have a HMG attached to it, so we took it out.  What if someone built a scenario where that HMG played a critical part in the player's defense strategy?  I think you guys can appreciate why we don't screw around with existing scenarios in this way ;)

What can change automatically are non-structural details.  For example, let's say the uniforms for a particular Squad are wrong (bug on our part).  This sort of thing can be fixed without messing up game balance and so it is (usually) automatically fixed with a patch/upgrade.  Ranks, floating icons, and other things like that are also automatically fixed.

One thing that is sort of between these two situations are headcounts and weapon allocations within a Team/Squad.  For the most part these sorts of issues are automatically applied to existing scenarios.  We figure that these sorts of details won't radically change gameplay or balance, but can fix obvious problems which people do want fixed.  Oh, let's say a unit with a howitzer and no HE ammo or a unit that should have a LMG getting one.  These sorts of things are usually fixed automatically.

What Badger73 is referring to is we radically changed the way TO&E worked between Engine 1 (CMBN is the only game that used it) and Engine 2 (CMBN and Fortress Italy).  Uniforms and personal equipment being the biggest changes, but there were others.  Some of those changes automatically applied to v1.xx scenarios, some did not.  It depended on specific circumstances.

Steve

On 13.10.2017 at 7:08 PM, Heirloom_Tomato said:

Thanks for the replies. I will proceed with completing them and not worry about any small changes.

You may want to have a look at the various  discussions about infantry and V4.0.

Infantry tends to break more easily in V4.0, which definitively tips the balance in many infantry heavy scenarios.

But keeping V3.12 and installing V4.0, is certainly a good work around.